Player Discussion Joel Eriksson Ek: The 2nd Act

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
IDK Laffy isn't a center so maybe we should pass ;)

I would be thrilled to land Lafreniere because we’ve never had a player even close to the level of player he projects to be, but there is a little voice in the back of my head that tries to tell me every once in a while that winning the second or third pick might be better for us in the long run.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Yes and we will also speak that draft lotto win into existence too if we are in it.
giphy.gif

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's really time to move him up.

Many people questioned whether he would or could take a step forward this season. At the beginning, when he was playing well in the shutdown role, the prevailing opinion was that it was still Koivu's spot to lose and Eriksson Ek would have to show both the offensive and defensive acumen to be rewarded with a promotion.

Now he's done everything asked of him and more, Koivu has lost the spot, and Ek still hasn't been put in the position to really show what he's capable of offensively. If the only excuse left is that his defensive play is too good, it's time to move him up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
55p might be hard for JEE to reach. I don't know if he'll ever get the PP time to reach that mark. The Wild could/should just have a lot of options with their FWD group to make good PP units and the center/wing positions aren't as important as it is 5v5.

If things go right MN could have balanced 3 or 4 5v5 lines, and stack the special teams for the PP and PK without a lot of crossover between the two of them. It would keep the ToI pretty even so one line/player isn't playing 20 mins a night like Koivu did forever.

He's about to come pretty close to reaching 40 with no PP and Foligno, Greenway and Kunin as wingers.

If he played on a line with Fiala and Kaprizov, he'd absolutely get more PP time.

I know it's probably not the right way to look at it, but the winger swap has to be worth at least 10. Power play time has to be worth at least another 10. That gets you to 55, and I think the estimates are really conservative.

Zucker was never a "good" power play guy, and he had 16, 14 and was pacing 16 this year in the last 3 years.

Reactions: AKL

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Ek just has that boy-ish looking face and toothy-grin that makes it hard for anyone to take him seriously.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He's about to come pretty close to reaching 40 with no PP and Foligno, Greenway and Kunin as wingers.

If he played on a line with Fiala and Kaprizov, he'd absolutely get more PP time.

I know it's probably not the right way to look at it, but the winger swap has to be worth at least 10. Power play time has to be worth at least another 10. That gets you to 55, and I think the estimates are really conservative.

Zucker was never a "good" power play guy, and he had 16, 14 and was pacing 16 this year in the last 3 years.

I'd rather have Kunin, Staal, Parise, Fiala, Dontao, Chucky, and Rask as the PP FWDs over JEE. Zucc has been a bigger disappointment than Zucker was so far. If Kaprizov and Boldy are anything close to what we're expecting they should get spots in the future too. JEE needs to work on his shot a lot before he's a goal scoring option and he's not really a good enough passer to be a good halfwall option. Khovanov could be another option in the future for the PP too.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Ek's a lot stronger on his skates this year and I think that's made a big difference for him: shots are getting on net, passes are connecting and the points are finally coming. The real strength in his game is still his defensive play and his play along the boards and behind the net. This year if I see him racing someone for a puck I just expect him to come away and get it back to another player instead of immediately losing possession by rimming it around the boards to no one. I think that's a big part of why his line's been good this year.

Does that translate to a scoring line? I'm skeptical, but I think it might. If you put him with two skilled wingers and leave him to do the dirty work and be a semi-credible shooting option, it could work out very well. It's worth a shot at some point.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd rather have Kunin, Staal, Parise, Fiala, Dontao, Chucky, and Rask as the PP FWDs over JEE. Zucc has been a bigger disappointment than Zucker was so far. If Kaprizov and Boldy are anything close to what we're expecting they should get spots in the future too. JEE needs to work on his shot a lot before he's a goal scoring option and he's not really a good enough passer to be a good halfwall option. Khovanov could be another option in the future for the PP too.

Galchenyuk isn't going to be here next year. Rask isn't going to be playing, let alone be available for the power play. I wouldn't have Kunin or Donato very much ahead of Ek, if at all.

Reactions: 57special and AKL

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Ek's a lot stronger on his skates this year and I think that's made a big difference for him: shots are getting on net, passes are connecting and the points are finally coming. The real strength in his game is still his defensive play and his play along the boards and behind the net. This year if I see him racing someone for a puck I just expect him to come away and get it back to another player instead of immediately losing possession by rimming it around the boards to no one. I think that's a big part of why his line's been good this year.

Does that translate to a scoring line? I'm skeptical, but I think it might. If you put him with two skilled wingers and leave him to do the dirty work and be a semi-credible shooting option, it could work out very well. It's worth a shot at some point.

That point will probably be the 2021-22 season. Staal will be 36 and expiring. Khovanov will be making the jump from the AHL and probably shouldn't be counted on as an NHL 1C quite yet. Same with Boldy making the jump from college.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That point will probably be the 2021-22 season. Staal will be 36 and expiring. Khovanov will be making the jump from the AHL and probably shouldn't be counted on as an NHL 1C quite yet. Same with Boldy making the jump from college.

Wouldn’t it be worth a shot before that point is reached, so we know how badly we need to address the issue when it comes up?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wouldn’t it be worth a shot before that point is reached, so we know how badly we need to address the issue when it comes up?

I'd agree with that, but there's still a bit of an excuse not to with Staal still being a 60 point player. In 2021 there'll be no other real alternative, unless something drastic happens.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Galchenyuk isn't going to be here next year. Rask isn't going to be playing, let alone be available for the power play. I wouldn't have Kunin or Donato very much ahead of Ek, if at all.

Chucky might not be here next year, but Kaprizov will be. Kunin and Donato are easily ahead of JEE for the PP in my book. Rask should be playing instead of Koivu.

If Zucc ever finds his game he'd be over JEE too, but Zucc might have found Pommer's cliff and jumped off of it.

I'm not knocking JEE, just the Wild have better scoring options and a deep team overall. They don't have to run any FWD 20+ mins every night, with PK, PP, and top-6 minutes (Koivu for most of his career). Spread out the minutes so the team isn't dead come Playoff time.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Chucky might not be here next year, but Kaprizov will be. Kunin and Donato are easily ahead of JEE for the PP in my book. Rask should be playing instead of Koivu.

If Zucc ever finds his game he'd be over JEE too, but Zucc might have found Pommer's cliff and jumped off of it.

I'm not knocking JEE, just the Wild have better scoring options and a deep team overall. They don't have to run any FWD 20+ mins every night, with PK, PP, and top-6 minutes (Koivu for most of his career). Spread out the minutes so the team isn't dead come Playoff time.

I think it's a different conversation, the last 25 games of this season vs. the next two or three.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’m really not convinced that the Wild have SO many better scoring options than Ek. Would love to see any kind of statistical analysis or evidence to support that idea.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I would be thrilled to land Lafreniere because we’ve never had a player even close to the level of player he projects to be, but there is a little voice in the back of my head that tries to tell me every once in a while that winning the second or third pick might be better for us in the long run.
Hehe AK I was being sarcastic!

Of course I'd like Laffy. We need someone like him so bad.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I’m really not convinced that the Wild have SO many better scoring options than Ek. Would love to see any kind of statistical analysis or evidence to support that idea.

JEE has 23 goals in almost 199 games. He was at a 5.6 s% for the first 46 games of the seasons, and 4.8 and 6.3 s% the previous two seasons.

JEE's game has improved immensely this season, but nothing about it is a skill game. He's playing simple north-south, grind it out hockey. It's why he's played so well with Kunin (has some skill, but is a grinder) and Foligno.

Where does JEE play on the umbrella PP the Wild run?
-1 d-man on the blueline.
-1 d-man on the halfwall to the FO dot.
-1 FWD on the halfwall to the FO dot (Granny's spot forever).
- 1 FWD at the top of the slot for redirects and crashing the net (Nino's spot)
-1 FWD around the net, usually behind it for the cycle (Staal's spot)

If you want to put JEE on the PP it needs to a completely different setup; more of a traditional 2 d-men on the points, with heavy net front/screen the goalie presence.

Kase

May 1, 2016
JEE has 23 goals in almost 199 games. He was at a 5.6 s% for the first 46 games of the seasons, and 4.8 and 6.3 s% the previous two seasons.

JEE's game has improved immensely this season, but nothing about it is a skill game. He's playing simple north-south, grind it out hockey. It's why he's played so well with Kunin (has some skill, but is a grinder) and Foligno.

Where does JEE play on the umbrella PP the Wild run?
-1 d-man on the blueline.
-1 d-man on the halfwall to the FO dot.
-1 FWD on the halfwall to the FO dot (Granny's spot forever).
- 1 FWD at the top of the slot for redirects and crashing the net (Nino's spot)
-1 FWD around the net, usually behind it for the cycle (Staal's spot)

If you want to put JEE on the PP it needs to a completely different setup; more of a traditional 2 d-men on the points, with heavy net front/screen the goalie presence.

Menell runs the PP from the left wall, Ek at the bumper position, Kunin at the goal line on Menell's side and as net front presence, Dumba at top of the umbrella, Galch at the right wall.

Shot and goal scoring were one of Ek's best assets when he was drafted, and even though he hasn't yet showcased them much in the NHL, I believe he could still become a consistent 20 goal scorer. But for that to happen he needs to get some PP time, and he could pot few goals from the bumper position.

But yeah, I don't think he is some huge asset for the power play and if there are better options to fill those spots, there's no need to put Ek there just to boost his stats.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he gets better at FO's he will be on the PP. He would be fine a s a net front presence. Winning FO's on the PP is super important.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Menell runs the PP from the left wall, Ek at the bumper position, Kunin at the goal line on Menell's side and as net front presence, Dumba at top of the umbrella, Galch at the right wall.

Shot and goal scoring were one of Ek's best assets when he was drafted, and even though he hasn't yet showcased them much in the NHL, I believe he could still become a consistent 20 goal scorer. But for that to happen he needs to get some PP time, and he could pot few goals from the bumper position.

But yeah, I don't think he is some huge asset for the power play and if there are better options to fill those spots, there's no need to put Ek there just to boost his stats.

I would want Dumba on the halfwall (Ovi spot) for his 1-timer. Even if it's not working right now other teams are trying to shut that down. Suter/Brodin at the top is a better fit, they make better decisions, have better puck control, are better at defending the rushes against when things go bad on the PP, and are better passers than Dumba.

Kase

May 1, 2016
I would want Dumba on the halfwall (Ovi spot) for his 1-timer. Even if it's not working right now other teams are trying to shut that down. Suter/Brodin at the top is a better fit, they make better decisions, have better puck control, are better at defending the rushes against when things go bad on the PP, and are better passers than Dumba.

Yeah, ideally I would want him there too.

In that scenario Menell (or someone else that is capable of running the pp from left wall) is running the pp from that side. I put Dumba at the point just because if I'm not mistaken Suter and Spurgeon are currently in the first unit so Dumba had to be put somewhere in this unit.

Mainly the idea was just to point out that I wouldn't mind seeing Ek at the bumper position when the pp runs from the left side. This way he works as a scoring threat when played through Menell or through Kunin down low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad