Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmundson awarded 3.1 in arbitration

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
A touch higher than I expected, but still a solid deal. Eddy was out to lunch with his ask(though I know they always overvalue themselves to get closer to what they actually want). He played like a 1M player last year quite honestly. Hopefully he bounces back because he can be a useful player when he's on his game, but last year was tough to watch at times.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
This means both both Edmundson amd Bouwmeester are UFA's next summer. I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, as it makes me a bit nervous. I hope Armstrong thinks our LD prospects are readier than I do. I would have preferred a 2-3 yr contract for Eddy just for security.

Last edited:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
This means both both Edmundson amd Bouwmeester are UFA's next summer. I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, as it makes me a bit nervous. I hope Armstrong thinks our LD prospects are readier than I do. I would have preferred a 2-3 yr contract for Eddy just foe security.
True but I would rather have cap flexibility than bad contracts. It doesn't close the door on either player returning, either. Focus on re-signing Dunn and Petro next season and you can fill in the blanks around them.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Move allen already
giphy.gif

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We might. His numbers do not command the contract he has , A or no A, let's be honest about that (and fwiw I love Steen). If we can move one player who is regressing to pay for a few (and no, we shouldn't do this in any way, shape or form to pay Maroon), we should do it. I am sure that Army has a plan and I wouldn't be surprised if his plan might be to sign and trade Ed, either.

No argument from me that he is overpaid for what he is at this point in his career.

But who is there for us to pay for this upcoming season? We have 7 everyday-NHL-caliber D men on the roster already. If we want an upgrade there, we need to move one of them, which will free up salary in the process. Schwartz, ROR, Schenn, Tarasenko and Perron are no doubt, without question top 6 guys. Bozak is a middle 6 guy. Thomas is a middle 6 guy. You probably want Sunny getting off the 4th line and taking more minutes now that you've given him a 4 year extension. You need a spot in the top 9 for guys like Fabbri, Sanford and Kyrou to fight for in camp. We have 10 forwards on the roster (besides Steen) who played 60+ games for us last year. If we're trying to upgrade the top 9, we need to move a guy who is in the top 9 to free up a spot for that upgrade.

Steen is overpaid. His contract needs to be addressed next summer. But removing him from the roster right now frees up cap space that we aren't going to use.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This means both both Edmundson amd Bouwmeester are UFA's next summer. I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, as it makes me a bit nervous. I hope Armstrong thinks our LD prospects are readier than I do. I would have preferred a 2-3 yr contract for Eddy just foe security.

If I were Eddy's agent, my advice to him would have been to reject any 2+ year offer below $4.5 mil. If I were the Blues, there isn't a chance in hell I'd have paid that for a 2+ year deal for Ed.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

If both move on, we'd still have Gunnarsson and Dunn with $6.35M of cleared space to go out and get another top 4 and 7th D. I think that was the theory behind signing Gunnar for 2 years at cheap. It gives us two LD for next year if both UFA move on. I really don't see Bo leaving unless he retires though. I have a feeling Eddy is done here though, as a UFA if not before.

Still there are actually some pretty good LD coming off of their contracts next season. Toronto may not be able to afford to re-up Muzzin. Scandella and Spurgeon might want to join a winner. Brodie and Krug aren't your cup of tea, but are possibilities as their teams have young LD who could push for time. We might also be able to grab a one-year rental if a 2021 free agent is not in a team's plans (Brodin, Murray?).

Muzzin/Spurgeon - Pietragnelo
Dunn - Parayko
Gunnarsson - Bortuzzo
Mikkola/Reinke

That's actually a better top 6 if one or more of those guys can be ready to be a 7th, and should cost close to the same amount as if we had given Edmundson and Bo more money for longer term.

Last edited:
Reactions: CCBC

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
What goaltender is currently available that is an upgrade over Allen?

I don't think there's anyone realistically who is better than Allen that's a FA. And I don't trust Husso, yet.

For what? And where? And replace with who?
Chad Johnson.

Vaguely more seriously? Try to ship Allen to Philadelphia for Brian Elliott.

More seriously? Deal Allen to Columbus, try to get Mike Condon from Tampa. Columbus gets a more proven goalie than what they've got [which isn't saying much, but they're seriously scraping it right now], Tampa unloads a contract that will eat up about $1.5 million in the minors so they get cap flexibility, we open up $1.95 million in cap space and get someone at least serviceable and who's UFA at season's end when we can go look for a better backup.

Not saying Condon is a perfect replacement, but for what this team needs and to give us flexibility we could do a hell of a lot worse. Like, ... well, up above.

Reactions: Em etah Eh

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
One thing that I think will be sorely missed if we trade Edmundson, is the size and physicality he brings to our left side. I know this element is unimportant to many of our posters, but I think it was an important part of our post season success. He is also a good skater for his size, which makes that physicality even more effective, and allows him to play better positionally. Where I think he struggles is ability to read a play. He also tries to do too much. If he focused solely on defense, he can be a very effective shutdown defenseman.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Edmundson - this is his make or break year. I think he earns a new multi-year contract. Solid 3-4 d-man, drops the gloves, will bounce back this season.

Allen - insurance behind Binnington who still hasn't played a full NHL season. Can move Allen in the off-season next year.

Steen - you guys are merciless. He earned his contract and still plays an important on-ice and leadership role. He stays.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Edmundson - this is his make or break year. I think he earns a new multi-year contract. Solid 3-4 d-man, drops the gloves, will bounce back this season.

Allen - insurance behind Binnington who still hasn't played a full NHL season. Can move Allen in the off-season next year.

Steen - you guys are merciless. He earned his contract and still plays an important on-ice and leadership role. He stays.

Agreed. Especially, the Steen part. His 4th line with Sunny was a game changer in the last few rounds of the cup run. Played his role perfectly.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
This means both both Edmundson amd Bouwmeester are UFA's next summer. I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, as it makes me a bit nervous. I hope Armstrong thinks our LD prospects are readier than I do. I would have preferred a 2-3 yr contract for Eddy just for security.

I'll bet the Blues were hoping Jake Walman would be ready for the NHL about now.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I'll bet the Blues were hoping Jake Walman would be ready for the NHL about now.

Yeah, in 2017 camp when Bouw went down and it was clear the Blues needed one of Walman or Dunn to grab a spot, they seemed to have Walman a little ahead of Dunn if I recall what JR said at the time correctly. And I remember Walman got the better parter and usage in preseason games too...but then it became clear Dunn was the better choice and Dunn won out. Just so surprising that since then Walman has completely gone downhill. From being looked at to make the NHL as a pro rookie to now a depth AHL guy with others continuing to pass him. I thought his style that served him well in college would translate well to the pro game but I was wrong. He hasn’t been able to make the adjustment and now gets burned repeatedly in the AHL. Surprising and disappointing.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Chad Johnson.

More seriously? Deal Allen to Columbus, try to get Mike Condon from Tampa. Columbus gets a more proven goalie than what they've got [which isn't saying much, but they're seriously scraping it right now], Tampa unloads a contract that will eat up about $1.5 million in the minors so they get cap flexibility, we open up $1.95 million in cap space and get someone at least serviceable and who's UFA at season's end when we can go look for a better backup.

Not saying Condon is a perfect replacement, but for what this team needs and to give us flexibility we could do a hell of a lot worse. Like, ... well, up above.

Mike Condon played 3 professional hockey games last year. He posted an .800 in 2 NHL starts and a .739 in his single AHL start. That was a total of 14 goals allowed in 135 minutes. He has had one NHL season where his SV% was higher than Jake Allen's career worst. He was sidelined most of last season due to hip issues on the same hip he has already had surgically repaired. A cortisone injection didn't do anything and then he finally underwent an experimental stem cell treatment to fix the issue. He hasn't played a game since the treatment. That is far from a serviceable option, is almost certainly a huge downgrade from Jake Allen, only saves us $1.9 mil in cap space this year and is a huge injury risk. Hard, hard pass.

I'm not sure why Philly would trade Elliott for Allen. Elliott is by all accounts a good pro and mentor for Carter Hart, he is a known quantity within the Flyers organization and they just signed him less than 2 months ago. This isn't an EA game, that's just not going to happen.

Edit: there are 5 current UFA goalies who played 1 or more NHL games this year. Ward, Johnson, McKenna, Darling, and Neuvirth. Darling and Neuvirth played fewer than 10 games and none of those guys hit the .900 SV% mark.

Our cap structure is fine next season and Allen's floor is that of an adequate backup. In his role as Binny's backup last year, he was among the best 5 backups in the league. Assuming that is not sustainable, his overall SV% still put him in the middle of the pack among backups. I think he will probably be a .910-.915 guy in a 30ish start workload that is road heavy, which is much better than any realistic replacement options.

Barring a huge, unexpected turn of events, he needs to go next summer. But he will be easier to move with just one year left on his deal than he is now and we'll have a better idea whether Husso is ready to backup and exactly what we have in Binny.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If we were to move Allen, presumably to Columbus for futures, I would be much more interested in trading for Domingue than trading for Condon or signing any available UFA. I'm sure Tampa would rather move Condon, but they are going to struggle to find anyone to take him if they're not sending him back to Ottawa. I'd be fine with a Binnington-Domingue tandem assuming it was just for one year.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

This season, yes.

But all of these guys + Bozak are all fair game to move on from in Summer 2020.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Chad Johnson.

tampa is pretty openly trying to move domingue instead of condon, aren't they?

ottawa is my preference for trying to move allen. anderson can't play forever and they don't seem to have anyone ready in the pipeline. there's always the chance our old friend anders nilsson gets a crack at the job. allen might be the a good fit for them next off season with only one year, maybe even at the deadline if binnington keeps up his play.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
tampa is pretty openly trying to move domingue instead of condon, aren't they?

ottawa is my preference for trying to move allen. anderson can't play forever and they don't seem to have anyone ready in the pipeline. there's always the chance our old friend anders nilsson gets a crack at the job. allen might be the a good fit for them next off season with only one year, maybe even at the deadline if binnington keeps up his play.
So much changes in the span of 1 season, but my guess is that Ottawa and Columbus are the two most likely teams to approach us about Allen. I have zero faith in the goalies for either team. Ottawa has no reason to upgrade quickly, but Columbus could probably still be a playoff team with decent goaltending next year. Jarmo will want to avoid being a dumpster fire after the 'all in' moves at the last deadline, so I could see him looking at a stopgap in net. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if both their goalies were sub-.890 by January 1 next year.

I don't think the Blues have any interest in downgrading the backup spot to save some cap space this year, but maybe that changes if Binny is playing like a stud through January and we get a decent offer for Allen that allows us to essentially swap Allen for a .905-.910 backup at no asset cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00