Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmundson awarded 3.1 in arbitration

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The problem with this analysis is the assumption that Jake is a legit "backup plan" if Binny goes down and he ain't on any day of the week. Leaving Husso down there to marinate a bit more is totally fine, having Allen on this team is absolutely not.

If Binny goes down to injury we'd still be better off with Allen than a 2 mil AAV back up imo and that's why I'm in favor of keeping Jake one more season. I know we don't agree here and trust me I'm not at all a Jake Allen fan, but when it comes to my team I try to keep the big picture in mind. Perhaps you end up right on this one but for me I think there's a good chance that Jake posts decent to strong numbers knowing he's the back up coming in to this season rather than having the pressure of being the starter. He has more natural athleticism and experience than most back ups and did pretty damn well on the road. We can absolutely do worse at the position and that is where we seem to disagree. You feel Jake must go before the season starts and not only is that unrealistic imo given his contract it also makes us worse, just imo of course.

I look at it this way, if we keep Jake this year then we get......

1. A back up with starter experience in case of injury to Binnington

2. More time to evaluate Binnington

3. More time for Husso or Fitzy to develop into a potential back up to Binnington

4. Burn a year off Jake's contract to make moving that final year easier

Let's say we move Allen before the season starts. Do you put Husso in as back up? Because he posted an .871 sv% last season when he was actually healthy enough to play so that seems like an obvious no to me. Husso has lots to prove in NA and it starts in San Antonio.

So that leaves signing a UFA who may or may not end up better than what Jake would provide over those same starts. That's not something I want to find out the answer to while Binny has such a small sample size of data to go off of and we aren't in a cap crunch this coming season that would necessitate making that decision right now anyway. I just don't see the benefit to taking that chance right now.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you... bait. :)
Is it that hard to express a differing opinion with someone without violating site rules by making it a personal attack? That’s how the entire site functions. Saying you can’t do so is a cop out in my opinion.

If there ever was an Allen fanboy, it was Dizee back a couple years. But I can’t think of a single poster that is a fan of his. No one wants him to be the starter, and I haven’t seen anyone that wants the team to keep him after this contract. Where are the fans?

That is much different from being able to appreciate his current value as an overpaid backup, and viewing it as better for the overall health of the team to pay him this year rather than paying assets to either part with his contract or to obtain a replacement, including the possibility of an inferior backup.

Borderline personality disorder exhibits a tendency called “splitting” where things are taken to extremes. People tend to really love something/someone and think its great, or hate something/someone and think everything is terrible. There is nothing in the middle. Viewing someone as being a ‘fanboy’ if they see value in holding onto Allen presently feels like an extremely inaccurate description. If there are Allen fanboys posting here, I can’t find them.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Is it that hard to express a differing opinion with someone without violating site rules by making it a personal attack? That’s how the entire site functions. Saying you can’t do so is a cop out in my opinion.

If there ever was an Allen fanboy, it was Dizee back a couple years. But I can’t think of a single poster that is a fan of his. No one wants him to be the starter, and I haven’t seen anyone that wants the team to keep him after this contract. Where are the fans?

That is much different from being able to appreciate his current value as an overpaid backup, and viewing it as better for the overall health of the team to pay him this year rather than paying assets to either part with his contract or to obtain a replacement, including the possibility of an inferior backup.

Borderline personality disorder exhibits a tendency called “splitting” where things are taken to extremes. People tend to really love something/someone and think its great, or hate something/someone and think everything is terrible. There is nothing in the middle. Viewing someone as being a ‘fanboy’ if they see value in holding onto Allen presently feels like an extremely inaccurate description. If there are Allen fanboys posting here, I can’t find them.
Most everything fits in the middle or at least it does for me. But in this world? Extremism/sensationalism reigns supreme.

Reactions: Brockon

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Most everything fits in the middle or at least it does for me. But in this world? Extremism/sensationalism reigns supreme.

Sensationalism/extremism earn headlines and grab more attention. Nobody wants to be the rational voice, because even in this limited forum - being funny or brash gets you more attention, replies and likes.

A very consistent theme in this subforum is to criticize JR's writing, which is by consensus god awful, but it also generates buzz and dialogue.

This is a microcosm of the Western world, where sensationalism is a very real problem... Attention seeking behaviour is a very visible problem in school aged children and it follows to the workforce in what is very often a disruptive course of actions. Some may disagree, but that's been my experience working away from major cities where HR requirements are often lesser due to the lower number of applicants (I've never lived in a city of over 100,000 by choice, I don't care for crowds).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad