Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmundson awarded 3.1 in arbitration

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
About what I expected.

I was hoping it’d be a bit less as the Blues had a good case IMO that Eddy regressed after making $3M last season but it’s a reasonable number.

Now we find out if the two sides can find common ground long-term or if this is the beginning of the end of Eddy’s time in STL. Eddy will be a UFA next summer so if he and the Blues don’t see eye to eye on his long-term value, I see him getting shipped out at some point.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Has the team signed this deal yet?
They have to. I thought the limit was lower, but you can't walk away from an award below around $4.4M so that was never going to be an option. I'm not sure if there is anything to preclude them from trading him before a certain date, though at this point it can't be with an extension any time soon. Now that the ruling has been handed down, he is locked in for 1 year and can't be extended until after January 1.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The number is about what I expected as well. It sucks they couldn't come to some sort of agreement for even a bit longer term deal. I think he'll most likely be gone after this season if not sooner. We now have $2.66M in cap space to get Barbashev done and for frictional space. Cutting it close, but it should be enough.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
manageable cap hit, hopefully he bounces back this year

so that leaves barby and no room for maroon

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
manageable cap hit, hopefully he bounces back this year

so that leaves barby and no room for maroon
Probably have enough for both if you only go 1 year on Barby. 1.5 or less for Barby for one year and then 1M for Maroon. Don't know that we exactly have the forward space for Maroon though unless he wants to be floating between press box and ice time, pending injuries...

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Probably have enough for both if you only go 1 year on Barby. 1.5 or less for Barby for one year and then 1M for Maroon. Don't know that we exactly have the forward space for Maroon though unless he wants to be floating between press box and ice time, pending injuries...
barby is looking for multiple years from what i've read and army wants some cap flexibility, so i don't think maroon fits even at league minimum with those conditions met

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not bad. We will still be able to sign Barbashev and have around 1 mil in cap space.

Edmundson gives us depth, and if we really need to move him I think we would be able to.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
barby is looking for multiple years from what i've read and army wants some cap flexibility, so i don't think maroon fits even at league minimum with those conditions met

If we do sign Barby and Maroon, it means we send Macheachern down. That frees up a little more space for Maroon. We have $2.66 for Barby + flexibility. If we want Maroon + Barby, we have $3.42M. So at league minimum $600k) and Barby at $1M, we could fit both with roughly $1.8M to spare. But I think if Maroon was willing to accept league minimum, or even $1M, he would be signed already somewhere, if not here.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I suspect Barbs will come in around $1.2-1.5m. It would be a stretch in my opinion to put him at $2m since we could slide in other ELC players into the 4th line with success.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
My guess is Barbs wants closer to $2M, which would make things pretty tight and is thus why he’s still unsigned.

There’s really no way to fit Maroon in unless a forward is traded or they’re good with sending some of these guys with one-way contracts through waivers and to the minors.

Regarding Eddy, hopefully he rebounds but if he doesn’t I suspect he gets traded. If a team simply values the player less than the player values himself, they’re going to eventually end up parting ways one way or another.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I forsee a player either being traded or waived from the roster to make space, possibly Steen. Then we can sign Barbie. Moving Steen's contract alone would fix the problem and give a small amount of flexibility.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I thought the Blues should have asked for a slightly lower number than they did given some of the available comps, but an award around $3 mil is fair. I'd have liked to see a $100k paycut from the arbitrator instead of a $100k raise, but this is fine. This gives us $2.67 mil in space for Barby or about $3.4 mil in space if we want to do Barby + Maroon. Assuming Army is okay with a $1 mil cap cushion, we should be able to accomplish whichever of those goals Army wants to do. Doing Barby + Maroon would require a 1 year deal for Barby with a raise next summer, but should be doable. I'd prefer to get some term on Barby and move on from Maroon.

Hopefully we get an answer on Barby sooner than later. I'm ready to start focusing on camp instead of contracts.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I forsee a player either being traded or waived from the roster to make space, possibly Steen. Then we can sign Barbie. Moving Steen's contract alone would fix the problem and give a small amount of flexibility.

We're not waiving an assistant captain and longest tenured player on the team to overpay Ivan Barbashev. He's almost certainly not waiving his NTC this year, especially over the summer before we raise a Cup banner. We have $2.67 mil in cap space. Paying Barby more than that (or anywhere close to that honestly) is not happening.

And I say that as a guy who listed Barby as my favorite Blues skater prospect for years. We don't need to make any moves to keep Barby and have some flexibility.

Reactions: 67Blues and jura

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
We're not waiving an assistant captain and longest tenured player on the team to overpay Ivan Barbashev. He's almost certainly not waiving his NTC this year, especially over the summer before we raise a Cup banner.

We have $2.67 mil in cap space. Paying Barby more than that (or anywhere close to that honestly) is not happening.

We might. His numbers do not command the contract he has , A or no A, let's be honest about that (and fwiw I love Steen). If we can move one player who is regressing to pay for a few (and no, we shouldn't do this in any way, shape or form to pay Maroon), we should do it. I am sure that Army has a plan and I wouldn't be surprised if his plan might be to sign and trade Ed, either.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
We might. His numbers do not command the contract he has , A or no A, let's be honest about that (and fwiw I love Steen). If we can move one player who is regressing to pay for a few (and no, we shouldn't do this in any way, shape or form to pay Maroon), we should do it. I am sure that Army has a plan and I wouldn't be surprised if his plan might be to sign and trade Ed, either.
But who is out there to sign? What do we even need? We are returning the entire Cup roster minus one 3rd/4th line winger (assuming Barbie gets settled).

Next year you probably need to look at moving Steen or Bozak or Allen, but it will be much easier with only a year on each of their deals vs 2 right now.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Let’s say the Blues want to trade Steen. Steen has a full NTC. How likely do you think it is he’d waive it? I’d say very very unlikely. Sure, Steen in way overpaid now but if I was in his position there’s no way I’d consider waiving the NTC until at least after the banner raising and presentation of the rings.

If anything, I could see the Blues buying out Steen next summer depending on how this season goes. It’s next season, when Petro, Schenn and Dunn are due raises, where I think the real Cap crunch will be. I’ll also note that Steen’s NTC expires on 2/1/2021 so that he’d be eligible to be traded by the trade deadline during the 20-21 season.

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019
Sign Barby 3 yrs, $2M AAV if possible. He’s only getting better - probably 3rd line caliber in the long term - and that contract would look awfully good a year from now if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad