Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
More than any other player in the league, Armia reminds me of the old school power forwards we had back in the day using their body to create scoring chances. Nowadays you find guys with big bodies that can skate but are not using their bodies. Most of the time their skills are separated from their physique. Like Getzlav is the perfect example of what I'm taking about someone that is a big body with skills and sure he hits once in a while but it's like his size is an added bonus to his already great talent, it's not what makes him create chances and score goals. And because of that it's not that much of an advantage. Whereas Armia is like a tank, he advances, the players are getting hammered and it leads to scoring chances. Plus he has that long stick and has skills too.

If he only was only slightly more skilled at scoring, he would be deadly. Imagine also if he had another big body like him playing at center with him like PL Dubois, it would be another Legion of Doom.

Reactions: Fixxer and a55p2

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Yep, you watch Armia play and you see how much he has pure hockey skills. His release is hard and fast and he has amazing puck possession. If he had elite hockey IQ, he would be a star.

Reactions: Fixxer and a55p2

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm hoping that the incoming talent in Poehling and Suzuki will put Armia on a line with a strong playmaker, who can give him open looks with his under-used shot.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If he could only pass with some consistency, because he does other things well. But his passes are awful.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Yep, you watch Armia play and you see how much he has pure hockey skills. His release is hard and fast and he has amazing puck possession. If he had elite hockey IQ, he would be a star.
He needs to get on the PP and score to get his confidence going. I like that julien uses him in a shutdown role 'cause he's good at it, but I would like to see more of that shot.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
All the small things he does well will be magnified in the playoffs. We really need one more player with his size and skill to fill out the roster. Shrewd acquisition by Bergie on this one.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I dont understand the people who werent happy to get this guy free.

Don't understand how anyone could complain about forgoing less than 2% of your capspace for a season and a busting 6th rounder for a young RFA top 9 RHS RW, a 3rd Rd pick, and a 7th.

I mean, Bourque alone wasn't worth a 7th. That 2% cap space brought back the equivalent of a 2nd and a 3rd.

Reactions: cashinstinct

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Don't understand how anyone could complain about forgoing less than 2% of your capspace for a season and a busting 6th rounder for a young RFA top 9 RHS RW, a 3rd Rd pick, and a 7th.

I mean, Bourque alone wasn't worth a 7th. That 2% cap space brought back the equivalent of a 2nd and a 3rd.
We got a 7th this year and a 4th next in Armia trade. It was a steal.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

As low as those picks are I just love giving TT as many kicks at the can as possible plus we've gotten some real interesting 7th rounders of late who are doing quite well. So yeah great trade.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Going by my memory so don't kill me if I'm wrong. Armia was Kotkaniemi's idol. I'm not sure did their time overlap in Porin Ässät, because Kotkaniemi is se young still. Propably not. But played in the same team, so must be mint to play with your idol. :)
Also watching Armias youtube clips, might be my new hobby.

Edit: Still can't believe Winnipeg let him go. They do have depth but still.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I forgot we got two picks to go along with Armia. Yeah, this is a steal of a trade. Cost Molson some money and $1.37M of cap space for two years. I remember the Jets doing this and thought they were doing it to try to re-sign Stastny but he then went to Vegas.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
And when it comes to Armia, really remember against who it was, but he was battling like 3-4 people in the offensive zone (in the Jets). It was kinda hillarious how he puts himself out there. Also as I watched some of those clips from youtube, remember how good his in shorties. Also great dangling. Sorry to raise the expactations too high, but he's kinda great package. Now that he's got some freedom, maybe we see some of his extra gear. If not, still great! Definitelly someone who'd like you to have in playoff with. And he does have the shot, it's just not utilized in NHL that much. Hopefully he can do it more. Although love the game in Montreal when Domi scored and 2 seconds after, boom, Armia shoot it into the net straight from the draw. God I love this refreshing team right now. And I can chill, but a little bit. :P

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
...If he only was only slightly more skilled at scoring, he would be deadly. ...

If he was, he wouldn't have been made available and would have cost a lot more than he did.

Reactions: Kimota

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The only other player I can think of whose better at creating turnovers on the forecheck is Mark Stone...

Armia is so good at that part of the game

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
"Sean Gordon of The Athletic wrote an interesting article about what Habs players themselves think about their teammates. Armia’s teammates voted the Finn as having the best wrist shot on the team with one player being quoted “Army’s got a phenomenal wrist shot. His wrist shot is ridiculous. Ask the goalies that question” (from ‘Find out what the Canadiens think of each other in this super scientific player survey’ – The Athletic – 1/30/19).

On a team with shooters like Max Domi and Jonathan Drouin, this is quite the compliment for a player not known for his offensive prowess. Having this type of skill on your third line is so important for successful teams and the Canadiens’ depth at the forward position has been key.
When watching Armia play, he brings a calming presence on the ice and never seems to panic when the puck is on his stick. He may not have lived up to the hype that comes with being a first-round draft pick (15th overall by the Buffalo Sabres in 2015), but at just 25 years of age, I believe we are seeing the best version of him."

https://thehockeywriters.com/montreal-canadiens-armia-great-fit/

Edit. Armia was 16th pick by Sabres in 2011. So the article got that wrong.

Reactions: backwards motion

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I dont understand the people who werent happy to get this guy free.

I'm amazed by this trade by Bergevin. He did basically get this guy for free. But more to that, he got two draft picks out of the deal, as well. We know Mason was part of the trade, but that was a means to facilitate the trade. Armia was the target.

And all he sent Winnipeg was an AHL defenseman, who is now playing in U-Sports. But even if he didn't have his contract terminated, just giving Simon Bourque for what was basically Armia and two draft picks is up there as one of MB's best trades.

Reactions: Andrei79

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Really glad Army is working out for you guys I loved the way he played the game for the Jets. He was really good and when he played with Lowry and Copp they dominated on the cycle and possession. Joel had good runs with a few different lines last year and put up 29 points from the bottom 6. I am sure the Jets didn't love giving him up but you have to give to get and my guess is Bergevin really wanted Joel. Dumping Mason's salary was a big part of getting the costs in line and it opened the door for Chevy to sign Brossoit who is 10-2-1 with a .940 save % so far this season. Either way we had the forward depth to afford to trade Joel but it was a bit painful because he was respected and liked by our fan base.

Glad he is working out for you guys good luck the rest of the way.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thats what is impressive, sometimes taller guys like him take longer to blossom, dont underrate that kid's size, teams are still raving about big players, especially when they have the skills to play on the top 6...You dont need to look very far, look at the impact a guy like Armia is having on our team filled of midgets, if you can get another Armia with more offensive awareness, jump on that opportunity without thinking twice!

Still, you dont make TC as a no draftee unless your progression curve is spectacular...
Armia is a fourth liner on a good team. Id much rather had a talented forward rather than a big one. Tampa doesnt have any trouble with his 5 sub six forward in their top 6.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Armia is a fourth liner on a good team. Id much rather had a talented forward rather than a big one. Tampa doesnt have any trouble with his 5 sub six forward in their top 6.
Wrong, Armia is a very strong third liner on a contender. You can be big and talended, not sure how you can dissociate both... Rantanen Stone Wheeler Draisaitl Scheifele ect ect...

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad