Player Discussion: Joel Armia - Part II

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
He's so good along the boards.. I dunno if the offence will ever be amazing but I think he's gonna be a real good possession driver.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's so good along the boards.. I dunno if the offence will ever be amazing but I think he's gonna be a real good possession driver.

I agree. Hes really found his place finally in the lineup. He's also great at gaining the zone. And his passing and puck moving skills are coming along nicely.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think he got to a point in number of NHL games played, where everything just began to slow down for him. Like a switch went off.

Hopefully he can bag a few points too.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think he got to a point in number of NHL games played, where everything just began to slow down for him. Like a switch went off.

Hopefully he can bag a few points too.

He certainly looks like he should be scoring so I think it will come. The question is at what level will it come. Right now he looks to me like he should be a 3rd line player who can move up to 2nd line when/if needed. So far he has not scored at even that level but the way he keeps getting better I think it is just a matter of time. I loved his work on the shorty yesterday. He really used his size and strength well.

I've been skeptical since his lackluster showing with the IceCaps last year but after 26 NHL games he is looking more and more like he belongs. In fact if you just watch him for 1 game without knowing any of his history or stats you might think you were watching a middle 6 winger with 3-4 years experience.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He has the size and reach and skillz for sure, but I feel that a lot of his game comes from his anticipation -- like Ehlers, he's usually heading for where the puck will be and he's usually right. I can imagine him being a terrific winger for a player like Petan, once he's a little more confident in his finishing. From the little of him I've seen pre-Jets he has a heck of a shot.

J

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I too have gone from skeptical to optimistic about his future. I see a sound 20/20 player that plays between the 2nd and 3rd line within 24 months.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
He's currently a high end 3rd line posession player and average fourth line scorer.

Considering his scoring numbers are so low I wouldn't be surprised for him to hit third line numbers by end of season

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
At worst a defensively sound 3rd winger that can put the odd puck in the net and set up his linemates.
At best a 1RW that will get 70sih points in his prime.
I probably see Armia as a 2RW (that gets time on the PK) going up to the 1st in a pinch to cover for injuries and such. Maurice has played him on the LW already as well.
He's paid his dues on the farm and shows why some players should be developed properly and not rushed into the league like Burmi.
Next year's forwards with Ladd re-signed and either Little or Perreault gone and a 1st overall pick for the Jets...
Connor-Matthews-Wheeler
Ehlers-Scheif-Armia
Ladd- Perreault or Little -Staf
Lemieux-Copp-Lowry
Petan spare

Trouba-Buff
Enstrom-Myers
Morrissey-Postma
Chiarot/Stu spare

Helle/Hutch (with Comrie nearly ready)

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
If he tops out as a middle 6 winger I call that a win for us.

So if he tops out where that guy we traded for him topped out.

I think Armia will turn into a better hockey player than Kane within 1 - 2 years. There I said it

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

The issue this team has outside the top 6 is lack of offense. Armia has what 4-5 points ?
Unless some of these support players start scoring on a semi regular basis this team isn't going anywhere. Throw in bad goal tending and we have another 5 years of process.
I hope he can contribute on the scoresheet going forward .

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The issue this team has outside the top 6 is lack of offense. Armia has what 4-5 points ?
Unless some of these support players start scoring on a semi regular basis this team isn't going anywhere. Throw in bad goal tending and we have another 5 years of process.
I hope he can contribute on the scoresheet going forward .

He's an NHL rookie who's just starting to look comfortable. I'm liking what I'm seeing, so I'm willing to have a bit of patience. The skill is there, the puck protection is there - things "seem" to be slowing down for him, so let's hope he starts converting on some of that confidence.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
He's an NHL rookie who's just starting to look comfortable. I'm liking what I'm seeing, so I'm willing to have a bit of patience. The skill is there, the puck protection is there - things "seem" to be slowing down for him, so let's hope he starts converting on some of that confidence.
I agree that's why I hope he can contribute.
I hope that over this next off season we get some growth from our rookies and maybe a signing of note.
Ehlers looks like the real deal already

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

With his work along the boards, solid defensive reads, and ability to push the play coupled with his "lazy" skating style he reminds me of Benoit Pouliot.

I just hope he can eventually score like him.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Definitely needs to tighten up on some of the loose outlet/breakout passes in dzone tho.

It's funny how often people notice a young player make a mistake wether it is Ehlers or Armia but a vet makes double the mistakes throughout the game and It goes completely unnoticed.Perreault has had some really bad passes and give aways this year resulting in Some great scoring chances.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It's funny how often people notice a young player make a mistake wether it is Ehlers or Armia but a vet makes double the mistakes throughout the game and It goes completely unnoticed.Perreault has had some really bad passes and give aways this year resulting in Some great scoring chances.

People have commented on Perreault's less than stellar outings. He's usually very strong, but he hasn't been free from criticism, nor free from having the off poor game.

I have a lot of patience for rooks, but there's nothing wrong with pointing out areas that someone like Armia can improve on.

I will re-iterate: I like what I'm seeing from his game. Think he's definitely on the road to becoming a 25-35pt 3rd line player, with 2nd line upside. That would be a very, very useful player as part of that trade.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

Well it might be funny if this wasn't a Armia thread. But it is, so...yeah.

boanst

May 25, 2013
He looks dangerous coming out of the corners already. I hope he translates that into more production in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad