Player Discussion: Joel Armia - Part II

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1831919

Posts from previous thread to start us off:

Agree, his game definitely lacks the stone hands and low hockey IQ of his fellow bottom 6 linemates. He also lacks the grit, glue and jam that make guys like Thorburn, Peluso and Stuart so good and permanent fixtures on this team. One can only hope the coaches can work the great vision and soft hands out of his game. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I think we would all like to see some production from him. It looks like he should be a good complementary scorer with his skill set. Hopefully patience will pay off and he will start picking up some points here on out.

Can't argue with stats. But I truly believe the games when he played with Perreault and Ehlers he showed signs of being more of a .5 PPG player. Right now a 40pt Armia would change a few of our losses to W's.

Anyone expecting Armia to put up points playing with Copp and Thor are being a bit optimistic.

I think if he played 20 games with some decently skilled players he would have a good chance to notch some points.

I agree. I would certainly like to see it.

For those who are saying that playing with Lowry should be enough to score goals....... not this year.

I think you have to match abilities. Armia made quite a few nice plays last game, but alas there was no one to be found in the areas that they should be.

Points will come. With his skillset and the way he's playing, it's inevitable.

Agreed on all points. Hoping to see the kid with lemieux, petan or Connor next season. Unfortunately we don't have an NHL ready centerman with offensive talent for that line that we know of yet. It also might be a little psychotic to have a third line with that little experience

I dont think he has been expected to put up many points as he has had 20sec pp time per game, Petan got four times more during his stint.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I am becoming a real fan of this piece of the trade. His pattern when switching to a new league or different style seems to have a slow start and then pick up, so I am quite interested in seeing how he does.

Does not look out of place one bit and deserve to stay. This year's Chariot, if you will :D

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I like the way he is playing and one of my concerns about him during training camp was that he lacked gumption and was lackadaisical. That concern has been put to rest as he is showing to be a real hard worker and forechecker and I think the points will come as he plays with better players.

needs a better jersey number than #40 though.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I like the way he is playing and one of my concerns about him during training camp was that he lacked gumption and was lackadaisical. That concern has been put to rest as he is showing to be a real hard worker and forechecker and I think the points will come as he plays with better players.

needs a better jersey number than #40 though.

I wonder if they'll let him wear #10 next year? Bryan Little changed to #18 when the team moved here.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
I think Armia has the potential to replace Stafford in a couple of years.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Well, they gave Brett MacLane (um, spelling?) #25. I think someone even had #9 before Copp, too.

Then again Ducky's legacy is... cleaner than the Jets' other number retirees.

Polar Vortex

Jul 4, 2012
It's funny looking back at it now but at the beginning of the season I watched the Moose live and Armia was prolly the 2nd worst fwd that night with Lodge being the worst.

Now, I don't understand how he wasn't leading the A in points before his call up. Totally different player.

Derfel*

Ladd bringing out the best in Armia I think. The two of them worked really well together tonight.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Armia is certainly showing an ability to protect the puck, make some smart plays and has some pretty sweet stickhandling abilities. He is growing by the game. Very nice to see.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
It's funny looking back at it now but at the beginning of the season I watched the Moose live and Armia was prolly the 2nd worst fwd that night with Lodge being the worst.

Now, I don't understand how he wasn't leading the A in points before his call up. Totally different player.
In reality, he wasn't bad even in TC, and from the beginning one of the best players in Moose.

Now he enjoys of playing and the game and linemates are on his level. That's all he ever needed.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
In reality, he wasn't bad even in TC, and from the beginning one of the best players in Moose.

Now he enjoys of playing and the game and linemates are on his level. That's all he ever needed.
But I still think he is being held back offensively by his linemates.Would love to see him with Scheif and Perrreault and eventually Connor.But at this point Stafford is still the better option but as early as next year if he has a good summer of training I think he will be a Top 6 guy.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Watching him closely on the bench ,and at practise where possible,it`s my opinion that what Armia needs most of all is a stronger developed "sense of belonging" with his teammates. This includes simply talking/joking/swearing with a few of them; showing that he is prepared to make physical sacrifices for them/support them on his shifts; and otherwise,feel he is contributing to the team effort.

If someone on the team could become his "buddy", I suspect we`d see steps forward in his confidence/play.

Stavros

Nov 30, 2015
If someone on the team could become his "buddy", I suspect we`d see steps forward in his confidence/play.

I wonder where you could get a finnish guy to be his buddy for next season, maybe he could be a big winger too. And his name could start with J also :sarcasm:

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
But I still think he is being held back offensively by his linemates.
Maybe because not given PP-time, but not because of Ladd and Lowry. I think it's about chemistry. LLA-line has some serious potential. Opponent's point of view it probably sucks to play against them.

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
Maybe because not given PP-time, but not because of Ladd and Lowry. I think it's about chemistry. LLA-line has some serious potential. Opponent's point of view it probably sucks to play against them.

I totally agree. The three of them have started playing a heavy, possession-rich game with some offensive flair. Quite exciting actually. Re-signing Ladd wouldn't leave me as upset or confused as I would have been a few games ago (for the right price).

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
But I still think he is being held back offensively by his linemates.Would love to see him with Scheif and Perrreault and eventually Connor.But at this point Stafford is still the better option but as early as next year if he has a good summer of training I think he will be a Top 6 guy.

It's interesting that you say this, because I've been thinking something along these lines with our rookies/newer players.

We really seem to have two camps of different types of good players. We have older guys like Ladd, Little and Enstrom for example who are very good players, but a little more 'old school' about playing and plays.

Most of our newer players (drafted or acquired by Jets 2.0) are quick not only as far as skating goes, but thinking the game. They all skate, pass, stick handle, and think very fast. Wheeler and Buff are probably the only two older players I would put into this category.

The problem comes when we mix the two. For example, Ladd is a very good first line winger, but doesn't really mix good with one of the newer players. Little, the same thing.

Ehlers, scheif, wheeler was an incredible line. Probably our best all season. Replacing Scheif with Little (who is a very good player as well), just messes up the chemistry. It's not that scheif is better than Little, they just play differently.

Right now we don't have enough of these new players to make up complete lines, so someone ends up on a line where they don't mesh. Armia with Ladd and Lowry is one of those mismatches imo.

I would argue that line combinations that include Ehlers, Scheif, Wheeler, Armia, Perrault, work better than mixing in Ladd, Little etc. (who are excellent players, just different).

I realize I'm rambling here, but it really is a chemistry and player skillset issue. We don't currently have enough of the young group of high IQ, quick players to make complete lines and have added depth. Next year that could be different with Connor and perhaps Petan, and who knows who else. But there certainly seems to be a direction when I look at it like this.

YMMV

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Watching him closely on the bench ,and at practise where possible,it`s my opinion that what Armia needs most of all is a stronger developed "sense of belonging" with his teammates.
You are absolutely right. This matter has a huge impact on him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's interesting that you say this, because I've been thinking something along these lines with our rookies/newer players.

We really seem to have two camps of different types of good players. We have older guys like Ladd, Little and Enstrom for example who are very good players, but a little more 'old school' about playing and plays.

Most of our newer players (drafted or acquired by Jets 2.0) are quick not only as far as skating goes, but thinking the game. They all skate, pass, stick handle, and think very fast. Wheeler and Buff are probably the only two older players I would put into this category.

The problem comes when we mix the two. For example, Ladd is a very good first line winger, but doesn't really mix good with one of the newer players. Little, the same thing.

Ehlers, scheif, wheeler was an incredible line. Probably our best all season. Replacing Scheif with Little (who is a very good player as well), just messes up the chemistry. It's not that scheif is better than Little, they just play differently.

Right now we don't have enough of these new players to make up complete lines, so someone ends up on a line where they don't mesh. Armia with Ladd and Lowry is one of those mismatches imo.

I would argue that line combinations that include Ehlers, Scheif, Wheeler, Armia, Perrault, work better than mixing in Ladd, Little etc. (who are excellent players, just different).

I realize I'm rambling here, but it really is a chemistry and player skillset issue. We don't currently have enough of the young group of high IQ, quick players to make complete lines and have added depth. Next year that could be different with Connor and perhaps Petan, and who knows who else. But there certainly seems to be a direction when I look at it like this.

YMMV

Nice post, I've thought the same with regards to player styles as well. TNSE drafts and targets players who do as you said skate and execute quickly. It's one of the reasons I don't see Ladd sticking around as he doesn't really fit the long term mold.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
He was looking like potentially our best forward last night. He was breaking defender's ankles with these subtle moves and cutting through the d like he was playing in juniors. I was a little bummed that he didn't get to play any extra time as I felt like he earned the hell out of it. The ceiling looks pretty high for this kid

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Nice post, I've thought the same with regards to player styles as well. TNSE drafts and targets players who do as you said skate and execute quickly. It's one of the reasons I don't see Ladd sticking around as he doesn't really fit the long term mold.

i agree. Our new guys seem to play a lot more of an open ice game and less of a corner dump and getting dirty tipped goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->