Player Discussion: Joel Armia - Part II

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
It's interesting that you say this, because I've been thinking something along these lines with our rookies/newer players.

We really seem to have two camps of different types of good players. We have older guys like Ladd, Little and Enstrom for example who are very good players, but a little more 'old school' about playing and plays.

Most of our newer players (drafted or acquired by Jets 2.0) are quick not only as far as skating goes, but thinking the game. They all skate, pass, stick handle, and think very fast. Wheeler and Buff are probably the only two older players I would put into this category.

The problem comes when we mix the two. For example, Ladd is a very good first line winger, but doesn't really mix good with one of the newer players. Little, the same thing.

Ehlers, scheif, wheeler was an incredible line. Probably our best all season. Replacing Scheif with Little (who is a very good player as well), just messes up the chemistry. It's not that scheif is better than Little, they just play differently.

Right now we don't have enough of these new players to make up complete lines, so someone ends up on a line where they don't mesh. Armia with Ladd and Lowry is one of those mismatches imo.

I would argue that line combinations that include Ehlers, Scheif, Wheeler, Armia, Perrault, work better than mixing in Ladd, Little etc. (who are excellent players, just different).

I realize I'm rambling here, but it really is a chemistry and player skillset issue. We don't currently have enough of the young group of high IQ, quick players to make complete lines and have added depth. Next year that could be different with Connor and perhaps Petan, and who knows who else. But there certainly seems to be a direction when I look at it like this.

YMMV

Nice post. Rambling allowed when a valid point is made. Contrasting styles and mindsets sometimes have a tough time co-existing. Because we've seen a fair share of this "blending", I think the LLA line is working because of Lowry, a player who may "bridge the gap". Or my standards have shifted to the point where I'm happy seeing a line that reminds me of last year at points (the pressure, big game, not the players obviously)

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Nice post. Rambling allowed when a valid point is made. Contrasting styles and mindsets sometimes have a tough time co-existing. Because we've seen a fair share of this "blending", I think the LLA line is working because of Lowry, a player who may "bridge the gap". Or my standards have shifted to the point where I'm happy seeing a line that reminds me of last year at points (the pressure, big game, not the players obviously)

Getting anything from our third line is a nice change of pace. Lowry and burmi made it seem impossible for the third guy on the line to get any offense out of it

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
Getting anything from our third line is a nice change of pace. Lowry and burmi made it seem impossible for the third guy on the line to get any offense out of it

This is true. Burmistrov just strikes me as a difficult linemate. There's unconventional hockey sense and movement that effects linemates positively, but in Burmi's case, the opposite is true. I have seen frustration from linemates at his actions or intentions. To end on a compliment to him, I don't think I (or his linemates) can fault his effort.

Whoops.... back to Armia. I find he is a better compliment to Lowry than most, because he has struck me as a player who makes good linemates better. High hockey IQ and seems to slow a game to his speed (at least recently)

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
This is true. Burmistrov just strikes me as a difficult linemate. There's unconventional hockey sense and movement that effects linemates positively, but in Burmi's case, the opposite is true. I have seen frustration from linemates at his actions or intentions. To end on a compliment to him, I don't think I (or his linemates) can fault his effort.

Whoops.... back to Armia. I find he is a better compliment to Lowry than most, because he has struck me as a player who makes good linemates better. High hockey IQ and seems to slow a game to his speed (at least recently)
Great way to explain it. When the puck gets on his stick, things just seem to slow down around him. He gained entry to the zone on a rush last night at a 50% speed by using a quick headfake at the blueline and an average deke, but it was done in such a fluid and natural manner that I got even more excited right then and there about his potential.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK

I was welcoming of burmis return, but the honeymoon is over for me. We're 6 years after the draft now and he's still a project, and we're having an incoming logjam with young wingers. Armia is on pace to a (at least) top 9 lock for next year. I'd like to see Connor or lemieux on (at least) the third next year too, so we're going to have to make a few moves. No point in losing burmi to waivers though so I'm hoping we can make a trade with ladd and hutch, and maybe get a B prospect and a 1st out of it.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Great way to explain it. When the puck gets on his stick, things just seem to slow down around him. He gained entry to the zone on a rush last night at a 50% speed by using a quick headfake at the blueline and an average deke, but it was done in such a fluid and natural manner that I got even more excited right then and there about his potential.
I know exactly which entry you're talking about. He made the guy holding the line look like an amateur with something that was barely a dangle. He just straight froze the guy and skated past him. So excited about getting this kid for what we gave up, and we're still waiting on lemieux and roslovic to sweeten this pot further.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
I know exactly which entry you're talking about. He made the guy holding the line look like an amateur with something that was barely a dangle. He just straight froze the guy and skated past him. So excited about getting this kid for what we gave up, and we're still waiting on lemieux and roslovic to sweeten this pot further.

anybody have some video of this...?

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland

I remember that play well and that solidified it for me. Also, In the Avs game he emerged a couple times from the "dirty" areas so cleanly and with what seemed like minimal effort that I thought "OK, this guy is getting comfortable, let's see where this goes". As a non-typical Maurice hockey player, he's seems to be endearing himself to the coach with his effort, and the skill is like a happy bonus (although I would have loved to see him get one shift of overtime at least).

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I remember that play well and that solidified it for me. Also, In the Avs game he emerged a couple times from the "dirty" areas so cleanly and with what seemed like minimal effort that I thought "OK, this guy is getting comfortable, let's see where this goes". As a non-typical Maurice hockey player, he's seems to be endearing himself to the coach with his effort, and the skill is like a happy bonus (although I would have loved to see him get one shift of overtime at least).

Him and Lowry looked good together, and I wonder if it's because Lowry's size and ability to seperate himself from coverage meshes well with Armia's ability to see that passing lane for the briefest of split seconds. I wouldn't have originally imagined them on a line together, but I think we could be seeing the start of a pretty solid 3rd line on this team going forward.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I liked the play and his improved confidence with the puck. What I'm most excited for is that he adds to a growing contingent of young players on the roster who can skate the puck into the other teams zone and make plays once there.

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
Him and Lowry looked good together, and I wonder if it's because Lowry's size and ability to seperate himself from coverage meshes well with Armia's ability to see that passing lane for the briefest of split seconds. I wouldn't have originally imagined them on a line together, but I think we could be seeing the start of a pretty solid 3rd line on this team going forward.

Also agree. Lowry has a solid North-South game that Armia can both predict and compliment. If that becomes our steady 3rd line (Ladd or not), I would be more than happy. 14 minutes a game plus second unit PP once in a while coupled with a young, consistent centre seems to be a recipe for success.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
i agree. Our new guys seem to play a lot more of an open ice game and less of a corner dump and getting dirty tipped goals.

I agree with your statements as well but I feel we are a team in transition from that dump and chase style to a better puck possession team.I think our record is a reflection of this and once a couple more skilled players Connor,Petan,Roslovic join the team our style of game will really change.I am not as confident as some that Lowry will fit into this teams top 9 I feel he will hold what ever line he is on back from playing the style that suits the other players on his line.I actually think Copp has a better chance of developing into our 3rd line center.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It was in the third period. I dont' know if it was signficant enough for anyone to have recorded it, but it would've definitely stuck out in your mind if you had seen the game.

It led to a series of nice plays. He dumped the puck behind the net where Ladd got it and bounced it off the net to get around a player and made a spinning backhand pass to Scheifele who received it awkwardly and then corrected it by taking a spinning backhand shot while falling down. I think it was a memorable enough sequence that someone may have recorded it.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I agree with your statements as well but I feel we are a team in transition from that dump and chase style to a better puck possession team.I think our record is a reflection of this and once a couple more skilled players Connor,Petan,Roslovic join the team our style of game will really change.I am not as confident as some that Lowry will fit into this teams top 9 I feel he will hold what ever line he is on back from playing the style that suits the other players on his line.I actually think Copp has a better chance of developing into our 3rd line center.

Lemieux Lowry Thorbs on the 4th next year.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
I feel like lemieux could do good things with proper minutes. I know he's getting impatient in juniors but I feel like that kid could be a game changing agitator that can score goals. I don't want him to get petan'd with minutes

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I feel like lemieux could do good things with proper minutes. I know he's getting impatient in juniors but I feel like that kid could be a game changing agitator that can score goals. I don't want him to get petan'd with minutes

IMO Lemieux will need to establish himself as a 4th line presence so the amount of minutes will be in relation to his future role as a 4th line agitator. Petan was a bad fit for that role and won't make the jump until he can hold his own higher up in the lineup.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Armia is turning out to be a gem and slowly living up to his drafted position

I thought he was one of the best players on the ice vs the blues. And the blues are a damn good team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Armia is turning out to be a gem and slowly living up to his drafted position

I thought he was one of the best players on the ice vs the blues. And the blues are a damn good team.

The Blues were missing Pietrangelo. He usually plays 25+ minutes. But Armia has been good regardless.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
At some point he has to start producing or Petan (whose about to best Joel's AHL career highs at a younger age) and Connor could push him out of a top 9 spot as early as next season.

Wouldn't hesitate to include him in a package deal for Drouin if we could pull that off.

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
At some point he has to start producing or Petan (whose about to best Joel's AHL career highs at a younger age) and Connor could push him out of a top 9 spot as early as next season.

Wouldn't hesitate to include him in a package deal for Drouin if we could pull that off.

Petan?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Neither of the 2 is a RW so I don't see him losing his spot either in the near future.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Armia sees the ice and makes practically what he wants with the puck. So the question is, why he's not getting a shot on PP? He needs points to get the scoring touch and Jets PP needs more skill and craftiness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad