Player Discussion: Joel Armia - Part II

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
at this point in this wondrous season i'm not opposed to armia on the PP. it can't be any worse than what we're doing.

who would've thought a guy with 3 points in 25 games could be considered a PP upgrade...

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I noticed Armia was on the ice late in the game last night when we pulled the goalie and were pressing for a goal. Shows the coach has confidence in Armia's ability to create offense.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Maurice trusts Armia's D game too.
He is better/smarter defensively than Ehlers at this point.
I'd like to see the ESA line for a few games as I liked the LLW line last night. I thought Ladd had a really good game. Hutch starting on Thursday?
Armia's ceiling is 1st line and I think he will be playing 2nd line a lot sooner than later.
Next year, if Scheif centered Armia and Ehlers, that would leave Wheeler and Connor on the wings with Little/Matthews. Our 3rd line could be Lowry Perreault Staf. Our 4th could be Lemieux Copp Thorbs.

Last edited:

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
I'd like to see the ESA line for a few games as I liked the LLW line last night. I thought Ladd had a really good game. Hutch starting on Thursday?
Armia's ceiling is 1st line center and I think he will be p laying 2nd line a lot sooner than later.
Next year, if Scheif centered Armia and Ehlers, that would leave Wheeler and Connor on the wings with Little/Matthews. Our 3rd line could be Lowry Perreault Staf. Our 4th could be Lemieux Copp Thorbs.

I like that lineup. I also agree on letting the ESA line breathe a little and see where it goes. The LLW line is at least consistent, I guess (Ladd did have a decent game)? I am becoming a big fan of Armia and his ability to enter the zone and create chances. We just need to see him or his linemates finish (I'll leave the word play alone).

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You're right and as a whole, the team needs to show more finish this year.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I like that lineup. I also agree on letting the ESA line breathe a little and see where it goes. The LLW line is at least consistent, I guess (Ladd did have a decent game)? I am becoming a big fan of Armia and his ability to enter the zone and create chances. We just need to see him or his linemates finish (I'll leave the word play alone).

He's making a lot of really impressive moves in tight spaces.
But the shots and clear chances are still not coming much.
Seems close to clicking on a more consistent basis. Getting semi regular production from Armia would change this team in a very good way!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Would like to see them pick in one of the first three spots though so maybe he can excel while the Jets still lose?

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
You're right and as a whole, the team needs to show more finish this year.

Absolutely. From missing the net to holding on too long in dangerous areas or simply losing it among defender's legs in those areas, it has been a frustrating year. The first ten games of the season, we were sniping and finishing our chances.... remember that smoke and mirror show? What a tease that was...... I am thankful that these struggles have at least allowed a guy like Armia an opportunity to earn a spot on the roster.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I really like how Armia protects the puck so well. He reminds me in a small way of the way Buff uses his body to shield the puck.

He's surprised me how he can make some really nice little passes in tight spaces.

He carries the puck very nicely and seems efficient in his moves. Has left a few guys standing still as he goes around them.

He's been much better than I expected. My one worry is that he's looked a lot like Burmistrov in that he looks really good while doing nothing much. But, he's produced some chances as opposed to Burmistrov who usually just loses the puck. Hopefully he keeps getting better in this area. He's been a real pleasant surprise.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really like how Armia protects the puck so well. He reminds me in a small way of the way Buff uses his body to shield the puck.

He's surprised me how he can make some really nice little passes in tight spaces.

He carries the puck very nicely and seems efficient in his moves. Has left a few guys standing still as he goes around them.

He's been much better than I expected. My one worry is that he's looked a lot like Burmistrov in that he looks really good while doing nothing much. But, he's produced some chances as opposed to Burmistrov who usually just loses the puck. Hopefully he keeps getting better in this area. He's been a real pleasant surprise.

Agreed, Armia has been looking very good of late, but at some point he will need to start putting numbers on the board. Though he has bought himself time to develop that part of his game.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Armia has been setting guys up consistently but the puck is just not going in the net for anyone.He has not been getting any help from his linemates only shots he gets are from creating chances by himself.In my opinion he is still really concentrating on good d play which ends up having him hanging back a bit at times.I think once he gets the green flag to start trying to create more offence he will be fine.he really needs to find some chemistry with some skilled players.I still think he needs to work on his first couple of steps to allow him to explode into openings wether it is for a pass or after he makes a good move.He has an amazing wrist shot he just needs to get himself into the openings a bit quicker.I think after another year of off season training you will see a confident guy in training camp next year.He has the goal scoring ability unlike Burmi.

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
Joel had 3-4 games on the same line with Ehlers and MP, in which he scored once and passed Nik for a breakaway goal. That's 2/3 of his points in those few games. PM said they played great, but the Jets won, I think, only one of those games. That's why he broke them up. Could he now try to play him at least with Ehlers more frequently. I mean, what he has to lose at this point?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Joel had 3-4 games on the same line with Ehlers and MP, in which he scored once and passed Nik for a breakaway goal. That's 2/3 of his points in those few games. PM said they played great, but the Jets won, I think, only one of those games. That's why he broke them up. Could he now try to play him at least with Ehlers more frequently. I mean, what he has to lose at this point?

He was put on a line with Ehlers and Scheifele in the 2nd period last game I believe and they seemed to look dangerous at times. Its a combination I'd like to see tried for a couple of games.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

As we transition past the trade deadline and are more clearly out of the playoff race that is my hope that guys like Joel get better looks to see what they can bring.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
As we transition past the trade deadline and are more clearly out of the playoff race that is my hope that guys like Joel get better looks to see what they can bring.

I think a few more guys will get callups to then. Will be nice to see some of our guys that haven't had any NHL time yet.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think a few more guys will get callups to then. Will be nice to see some of our guys that haven't had any NHL time yet.

I don't see the Jets sitting guys so it may take injuries to open those spots? Postma has been buried in the press box so I can't see another D getting a call up before him.

If a Ladd trade doesn't return a roster forward then that is where I see an opening to showcase a few bodies.

Can Connor be called up at the end of the year after his season is done?
Obviously we wouldn't want to burn the first year of his ELC but I think as long as he plays less than 10 games we'd be fine.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't see the Jets sitting guys so it may take injuries to open those spots? Postma has been buried in the press box so I can't see another D getting a call up before him.

If a Ladd trade doesn't return a roster forward then that is where I see an opening to showcase a few bodies.

Can Connor be called up at the end of the year after his season is done?
Obviously we wouldn't want to burn the first year of his ELC but I think as long as he plays less than 10 games we'd be fine.

He could. It all depends on if he wants to jump to the NHL right away or how far Michigan goes in the NCAA championship. If they make it to the Frozen Four we may might not see him.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Armia's ceiling is 1st line and I think he will be playing 2nd line a lot sooner than later.

I agree with most of what you say, but I'm of the opinion that if Lowry is playing above the 4th line, we still aren't good enough for a deep playoff push.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
1st Line?

1st liner? The future seems pretty bleak considering he has 21 goals in 135 AHL/NHL games.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's funny in some ways Armia's reach/range and ability to protect the puck when it's on his stick reminds me a bit of Antropov. I thought he had another really solid game last night.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It's funny in some ways Armia's reach/range and ability to protect the puck when it's on his stick reminds me a bit of Antropov. I thought he had another really solid game last night.

Same.

The effort that he showed on the Ladd goal was great,but he's been doing that consistently for a while now. Nice to finally see something finished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad