Prospect Info: Joel Armia (2011, 16th) – '14-15: Rochester #33 (AHL) – 2015: Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurpiz

Nudes in bio
Nov 5, 2006
The rink he grew up playing in back here in Finland is actually the smallest one there is in the whole league, measured at 28mx58m, when an NHL rink is 26x61. Full international ice is 30x61

Buffalo Warlord

Jul 12, 2013
Are you actually suggesting the guy nicknamed bust-muffin is not a bust? :laugh:

Brad May is good, but apparently Jay McKee is "ok"...don't understand that one.

Jay McKee was better than OK, he was a unsung hero for this franchise as a prototypical stay at home defenseman.

I loved May and McKee from the Niagara Falls Thunder days

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
I wouldn't say worried, I just don't have high expectations. I've never been impressed by him in the 8 or so times I've watched him play.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does develop into the player many of you believe he can be.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
I'm just as worried about Armia as I am about any other of our prospects, not more not less.

Enzo63

Jan 28, 2010
Does Armia make the big squad? Any predictions...

My prediction: Joel has a great camp. Really shows his offensive talent. Razzles and dazzles, and surprisingly shows some defensive capability. MAKES the team and gets a 9-game tryout on the top line with Van and CoHo or the 3rd line with Stafford and _______?

Thus, forcing me to purchase an "Armia" home blue jersey at the home opener :yo::yo::sarcasm:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

My prediction: Joel has a great camp. Really shows his offensive talent. Razzles and dazzles, and surprisingly shows some defensive capability. MAKES the team and gets a 9-game tryout on the top line with Van and CoHo or the 3rd line with Stafford and _______?

Thus, forcing me to purchase an "Armia" home blue jersey at the home opener :yo::yo::sarcasm:
Witout injuries or trade, what top 9 winger is he going to beat out?

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+

...or he scores a hat trick in the opener and, in a frenzy, every person in the arena buys two Armia 3rd jerseys.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Armia's team have watched what happened with Mikael Granlund in Minny. Granlund was too slow and not physical enough to get to places where he can use his good hands and hockey sense. Because of that Armia has trained a lot with physical aspects of his game. This has also had unwanted but more or less expected side-effect in his offensive play. It will take some months, maybe whole season for him to regain the scoring touch.

As such, I see that Armia will start in Rochester and work his way up. I'm bit of worried about this typical finnish tendency to rather work on his weaknesses instead of maximizing his strenghts. Don't want him to end up as another Nokelainen/Tukonen type of player, who has compared to his peer group hands and hockey sense in age of 19 but ends up as cannon fodder-third liner even in FEL.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Anyone saw the Blue Jackets game? How Armia played?

Radio coverage only, so I don't think you will find too many who watched the game. Just highlights.

Brian Duff's (Sabres TV host who was at the game) comments:

" Larsson... a middle man for Tyler Ennis and Joel Armia, the latter of whom was playing in his first NHL preseason game. The line produced 13 of the Sabres’ 49 shots that were either on goal, blocked or went wide."

Armia had 4 shots on goal (not total shots) played shy of 17 minutes and received some power play time.

What I've heard from other media guys and the coach is that Armia is extremely skilled who needs to learn to use is line mates better with less ice and less time to make plays.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
So guys. what's the latest on Armia? I was looking forward to seeing him start the season in Buffalo, but then he hurt his hand.
I know he was expected to return sometime in November. Has that cleared up in anyway? More realistic time for return? Most likely he will start in Rochester, but I'm confident that he will be playing in the big club in no time.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So guys. what's the latest on Armia? I was looking forward to seeing him start the season in Buffalo, but then he hurt his hand.
I know he was expected to return sometime in November. Has that cleared up in anyway? More realistic time for return? Most likely he will start in Rochester, but I'm confident that he will be playing in the big club in no time.

Looks like he'll get a few games in Buffalo atleast.... He was given a locker today.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

Playing time this weekend is the last I heard.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Thanks for the fast replies.
Sound good, will be great to see him back in action. Hopefully he can spark offense and a few wins for you guys!

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
hopefully he comes in plays a few games and they send him to rochester...let the kid get acclimated more to north american hockey by sending him there first. but it looks like they aren't doing that with a lot of our rookies so who knows

this guy is expected to be a huge part of our offense for the future...imagine if he develops well and grigs starts to develop well too, that would be a lethal offensive combination id love to see

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
hopefully he comes in plays a few games and they send him to rochester...let the kid get acclimated more to north american hockey by sending him there first. but it looks like they aren't doing that with a lot of our rookies so who knows

this guy is expected to be a huge part of our offense for the future...imagine if he develops well and grigs starts to develop well too, that would be a lethal offensive combination id love to see

Welcome aboard :5:

I try not to expect things when it comes to rookies and Regier lately :laugh:

However, I hope Armia will get a taste with a few games but Amerks is what I'd prefer for the majority of this season.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
As much as I would like to see this kid play in the NHL too as Finnish NHL fan, I kinda think he should start at the AHL.. He hasn't been playing while others have already get tuned into season so it would be really hard to just start from the NHL, haven't been playing while others have. But if he starts in NHL its also kinda great to see in its own way.

Biff Tannen

Mar 12, 2013
Hill Valley
I concur. Even though we saw his overall game improve a lot in the last FEL season I don't think he's ready yet for the big games. I'm not saying I ain't eager to see him play though, but getting accustomed to a smaller rink is vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland