Prospect Info: Joel Armia (2011, 16th) – '14-15: Rochester #33 (AHL) – 2015: Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Hey guys, You guys think he will make the team? I am surprised some prospect sites seem to have him ranked pretty low. I think he is still a top prospect, great size, speed ect. He played awesome at the WJC. I think many just downgrade him because he didn't have a great year in the Finish league. However, from what I can gather it is a real Defence first team. He didn't get a lot of chance.

Any way, just curious what you guys have to say about him. Cheers.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Hey guys, You guys think he will make the team? I am surprised some prospect sites seem to have him ranked pretty low. I think he is still a top prospect, great size, speed ect. He played awesome at the WJC. I think many just downgrade him because he didn't have a great year in the Finish league. However, from what I can gather it is a real Defence first team. He didn't get a lot of chance.

Any way, just curious what you guys have to say about him. Cheers.

I think a lot will depend on what, if anything, happens with Vanek and/or Stafford prior to the season. I think if one of those wingers are moved, it paves the way for Armia to make the team out of camp. If not, I could see them putting him in Rochester for a little while, especially if they iron out the situation with Ristolainen and he's in Rochester, too.

At the very least, I'm expecting him in Buffalo by the time the calendar switches to 2014. I think they'll give him a lot of O-zone starts and some PP time to break him in.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Armia basically split the vote with Grigorenko for our top prospect in our last poll, so there is still plenty of excitement for him here. I think people forget about him from other fanbases because he has played overseas and was drafted a couple of years ago. Out of sight, out of mind. I don't think there is any question that he sees some time in Buffalo this year, but it's hard to say if he makes the team out of camp. It'll be interesting to watch though.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
To offer some silver-lining, while his production fell this year, and especially in the playoffs, he really picked up his two-way game as the season went on. In the playoffs he was the two-way forward in his line, and after Finals at least one reporter said he thought Armia was the best defensive forward in the Finals.

Not to say you have the new Jere Lehtinen in your hands, but Armia's definetely not the lazy-ish primadonna people like to remember from 2011 or 2010 WJC

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
He'll start in Rochester, then the rest is up to him. He could be up for good by Christmas if he's dominating. May be in Rochester all year. Let's see how he adjusts.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
same as everyone has said though with the abundance of tweener wings on this team now I wouldnt be surprised or disappointed if he got a full year in the AHL

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for the info. I would be surprised if he didn't make the team, even though he hasn't shown big offensive upside he has shown a great two way game and has played with adults for 3 years now.

Guess we will find out.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
i think Larsson will be up this year before him.there is like many other posters have said a chance for him to come up after a few months in Rochester.i am excited about him as well as Larsson.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I expect hm to be on the team thought its posdble because of waiver restrictions he may spend some time n Rochester before some trades made then comes up in December.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
In your ZERO viewings of him you weren't sold?

Eh. None of us really know what'll happen when he's over here full time.

Traverse city last year is teasing us.

But still, the tool kit looks a lot like Semin.

But then Semin took 5-6 years to develop.

I wish I knew what point I was trying to make. But that was about 8 beers ago.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Eh. None of us really know what'll happen when he's over here full time.

Traverse city last year is teasing us.

But still, the tool kit looks a lot like Semin.

But then Semin took 5-6 years to develop.

I wish I knew what point I was trying to make. But that was about 8 beers ago.

There was no traverse city last year, Armia has never played there

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
He's still very highly thought of around here and I think I speak for everyone when I say we're eagerly anticipating his NHL debut, we just don't know when that debut will come.

Personally, there isn't any scenario where I'd want him on the NHL team to start the year. Even if the wing depth is depleted by trades, I don't see the value in having him on a bad team. He's got some very good tools and playing in a good league against men for the past two years has helped ready him for the NHL. I just think that there is still a bit of adjusting to the NA game he needs to go through, and he could probably do very well in the AHL. Plus, if Ristolainen is also on the Amerks, it would make the transition a lot easier for both of them. I fully expect at least 20+ NHL games from Armia this year, just not to start the season.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
I don't see the harm in letting Armia start the season in Buffalo.

The idea that irreparable harm can be done by having a youngster playing on a bad team is overstated. Play the kids and if they lose keep playing them. The learning experience of being on a terrible team can be just as invaluable as being on a great one. The worst thing that can happen is nothing and the best thing that can happen is something truly special... they learn to win together.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't see the harm in letting Armia start the season in Buffalo.

The idea that irreparable harm can be done by having a youngster playing on a bad team is overstated. Play the kids and if they lose keep playing them. The learning experience of being on a terrible team can be just as invaluable as being on a great one. The worst thing that can happen is nothing and the best thing that can happen is something truly special... they learn to win together.

It's not about extremes like ruining Armia or Armia stepping in an being a star player as a rookie. It's simply about what's more likely to be best for him, and unless he has a stellar camp the reasonable assumption is that starting in the AHL is the best course for both Armia and the team itself.

HarryNealesGarden

Big Daddy Ted
Nov 15, 2009
BOS
In any case, I think we'd all be shocked if he didn't see at least SOME time in Buffalo. Vanek is beyond any doubt getting moved at the deadline (if not sooner), and I'm sure they'd dump Stafford and Leino if the right move came along as well (though I somewhat doubt it).

There are going to be open winger spots after the deadline. He'd be among the first in line for call-ups if he's not on the roster already.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think Armia makes the team. I think Rolston understands that young players need to play in the roles they are meant for... and their is very clearly a top 6 RW spot available.

No more of young scorers getting 4th line shifts (ruffination).

Vanek-Hodgson-Armia
Ennis-Grigorenko-Stafford
Leino-Larsson-Ott
Foligno-Porter-Kaleta
x Flynn, Scott

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I don't see the harm in letting him start in Buffalo.

It's not like he's some fresh draft pick kid who's development will be ruined by throwing him in over his head. He was drafted two full years ago - that's a long time in player development. He's spent the past two years playing against men in Finland's top pro league.

I think it's fine to start him in the NHL and see if he's ready to make the next step, because he may well be at at this point in his development. What do we have to lose? This is a rebuilding team anyway - better to see what the young players can do and give them NHL ice time. If he's really not ready yet, he can always be sent back down.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A lot will depend on training camp. If he shows he's ready, there is nothing wrong with a guy forcing his way onto the roster.

And if he isn't there yet, there is nothing wrong with him getting scoring line minutes with the Amerks. They could use the scoring too....

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Yay lets make up facts!!!!! I've watched him in WJC and seen lots of clips of him in finland

I suppose it depends on which games of the WJC you've watched. If you watched the first game against Canada in 2011-12 when the TSN guys made it their duty to complain about Armia the entire game and postgame, then I could see why you'd come away with a bad perception. If you watched him against USA in the same tournament, or the semifinal against Sweden when he was easily the best player on the ice--or, at the very least, the most dangerous--you may feel differently. He also lit Sweden up again this year in a loss.

He needs to work on his consistency. From the reports from our Finnish friends, he's developed the defensive and work-ethic sides of the game. I'm excited for him as a prospect.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I suppose it depends on which games of the WJC you've watched. If you watched the first game against Canada in 2011-12 when the TSN guys made it their duty to complain about Armia the entire game and postgame, then I could see why you'd come away with a bad perception. If you watched him against USA in the same tournament, or the semifinal against Sweden when he was easily the best player on the ice--or, at the very least, the most dangerous--you may feel differently. He also lit Sweden up again this year in a loss.

He needs to work on his consistency. From the reports from our Finnish friends, he's developed the defensive and work-ethic sides of the game. I'm excited for him as a prospect.

On the whole, he's looked good to very good in international tournaments. It's too bad his teams on the whole have underachieved in them and it's fair to give him a portion of the blame I suppose, but that's just how it goes sometimes. That game against Sweden this year that you mentioned, he was dangerous on the ice and scored 2 very nice goals from what I recall. He, Barkov, and Ristolainen were the three guys who stood out to me in that game and on Finland in the tournament.

If Armia continues to develop his skating, aggressiveness, defensive effort, and physical play (such as puck protection) as he has, then he will be a quality NHLer with at least a chance at being one of the better goal scorers in the league. If he doesn't continue that development then he might not be an NHLer, but his development in those areas has occurred consistently somce his initial breakthrough on the Finnish prospect scene, where I believe he jumped up from c-level juniors to a-level to SM-liiga within a few short years. His goal scoring production and overall consistency haven't developed at the same rate, but that's less a concern for his chances of being a quality NHLer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad