Prospect Info: Joel Armia (2011, 16th) – '14-15: Rochester #33 (AHL) – 2015: Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Personally I'm not panicking but going scoreless in the traverse city tournament and in the FEL playoffs (more comprehend able IMO) Is there any one area which affects his offense or something?? love to hear your feedback!

People have said that even though he didn't score any points during the Traverse tournament he was moving his feet well and creating opportunities offensively. I'll be worried if he doesn't produce in the NHL, but until then I believe in him.

ZeroPT*

:facepalm:

Am i worried about a 20 yr. old prospect who continues to develop?

No.

The End.

Note, I said I'm not panicking, I'm just kinda shocked that he hasn't produced much offensively when he's basically our best prospect IMO. I'm asking if any one is worried.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
No, but only because I'm not counting on anything, either. I haven't been penciling him in as our top line winger in two years or anything. If he busts it wouldn't be a huge shock.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Personally I'm not panicking but going scoreless in the traverse city tournament and in the FEL playoffs (more comprehend able IMO) is quite odd for a goalscoring guy. He remains our best Prospect offensively (now that grigs graduated) and yet he still hasn't displayed any signs of dominance in a while. Is it the Ice surface? Is there any one area which affects his offense or something?? love to hear your feedback!

Joel's improved in every area of his game since he's been drafted, that's what matters. What doesn't matter is points totals in a 4 game tournament (on NA ice for the first time) in September after like 4 months of not playing hockey (with the exception of the brief dev camp).

I'm not looking for dominance from him now or in the future. He might become an elite (e.g. 40) goal scorer, but he's not going to be some flat-out dominant player. What I'm hoping for out of Armia is a guy who is solid in all areas, alongside his good size and natural talent. The scoring will come. He needs to adjust to it being more difficult for him to beat guys 1-on-1 due to the surface and increased talent level/game speed. Lucky for him, he shouldn't have to do too much with the puck to have an early impact (in Rochester), because his shot is so good.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
:facepalm:

Am i worried about a 20 yr. old prospect who continues to develop?

No.

The End.
Well you could make the argument that he hasn't continued to develop. His defensive game has maybe improved over the past 2 years but his offensive game has stagnated. From what I have seen of him at WJCs is that he moves his feet and is generally engaged in the play but if he doesn't produce early in the game he doesn't show up on the score sheet at all. He's very much a momentum player. If people hate Drew Stafford they will probably hate Joel Armia in a few years.

ZeroPT*

No I'm not worried and how has Grigs graduated? He's younger than Armia and is still a prospect.

well he has 25 games under his belt in a lockout shortened season. IMO any prospect who played 20+ games THIS past season they've graduated. So Schultz,Yakupov et all have graduated.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
well he has 25 games under his belt in a lockout shortened season. IMO any prospect who played 20+ games THIS past season they've graduated. So Schultz,Yakupov et all have graduated.

I don't agree with this. It doesn't matter if X games was a higher percentage of a season this year, a player with X games played still has only X games experience in the NHL. You might consider a guy like Grigorenko as no longer being part of the pipeline as he basically has an NHL spot locked up at least for this season, but you could say the same thing about guys who've never played a single game like MacKinnon and Barkov.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Grigs is still a prospect in my eyes and has a very long way to go.

Edit: not sure why you're even bringing him up since he is fairly irrelevant to Armia.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Armia's body of work over the full season in Finland speaks stronger than 4 games in Michigan. Lots of goal scorers are also quite streaky--not uncommon to go a few games without finding the back of the net. Obviously adjusting to new linemates, ice, etc. can play a role too.

If he struggles in camp and in Rochester this year...well still won't be worried. If he gets into year 2 or 3 of the ELC and hasn't cracked the Sabres roster...then yes. Worry then.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Joel's improved in every area of his game since he's been drafted, that's what matters. What doesn't matter is points totals in a 4 game tournament (on NA ice for the first time) in September after like 4 months of not playing hockey (with the exception of the brief dev camp).

/end

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Armia's body of work over the full season in Finland speaks stronger than 4 games in Michigan. Lots of goal scorers are also quite streaky--not uncommon to go a few games without finding the back of the net. Obviously adjusting to new linemates, ice, etc. can play a role too.

If he struggles in camp and in Rochester this year...well still won't be worried. If he gets into year 2 or 3 of the ELC and hasn't cracked the Sabres roster...then yes. Worry then.

And to go with this comment, if someone wants to point to a negative with Armia's development, it lies in that body of work in Finland, not Traverse. His goals totals were virtually identical in all 3 of his SM-liiga seasons. So that in of itself isn't encouraging (though I don't see it as an issue), but everything else has been. The shot is there and he's shown a keen passing ability, so what he needs to do to succeed in the NHL has nothing to do with goal scoring. If you put him out there with two talented players, he'll score goals at this level. He needs to work on everything else, and he has up until now. He's improved his skating, his defense, and his physical play. If he keeps that up, he's an NHLer.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Note, I said I'm not panicking, I'm just kinda shocked that he hasn't produced much offensively when he's basically our best prospect IMO. I'm asking if any one is worried.

How dare you ask a question! You have clearly upset the masses. That's a no-no!

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Personally I'm not panicking but going scoreless in the traverse city tournament and in the FEL playoffs (more comprehend able IMO) is quite odd for a goalscoring guy. He remains our best Prospect offensively (now that grigs graduated) and yet he still hasn't displayed any signs of dominance in a while. Is it the Ice surface? Is there any one area which affects his offense or something?? love to hear your feedback!

Sample size.

Plenty of players go through plenty of scoring droughts for stretches of games.

Don't overthink it.

FanboySlayer*

Of course rational people worry about all draft picks, fanboys don't because in their world each and every draft pick is a future NHLer.

Even first round picks are far from sure things.

First round picks since 1988:

Joel Savage *BUST*
Kevin Haller *BUST*
Brad May *GOOD*
Phillipe Boucher *MEH*
David Cooper *BUST*
Wayne Primeau *MEH*
Jay McKee *OK*
Martin Biron *OK*
Erik Rasmussen *BUST*
Mika Noronen *BUST*
Dmitri Kalinin *MEH*
Barrett Heisten *BUST*
Artem Kryukov *BUST*
Jiri Novotny *MEH......BUST*
Keith Ballard *OK*
Daniel Paille *OK*
Tomas Vanek *VERY GOOD*
Drew Stafford *OK*
Marek Zagrapan *WTF ...... BUST*
Dennis Persson *BUST*
Tyler Myers *GOOD*
Tyler Ennis *GOOD*

Most of these prospects people, including me, get excited about won't even see the NHL let alone become significant players.

It does look like a promising group we have now, I think Zadorov and Girgensons are the best bets for being substantial contributors, then Risto, of the rest, I like McCabe, Catennaci and Bailey. And Pysyk.

Grigorenko is suspect more than most.

Most likely stud of the future - Zadorov.

The nice thing is that stars come from anywhere, while top prospects disappoint, some of the lesser ones will become players.

Qurpiz

Nudes in bio
Nov 5, 2006
And to go with this comment, if someone wants to point to a negative with Armia's development, it lies in that body of work in Finland, not Traverse. His goals totals were virtually identical in all 3 of his SM-liiga seasons. So that in of itself isn't encouraging (though I don't see it as an issue), but everything else has been.

Keep in mind, about Armias seasons in Finland, the first year he came out of nowhere, got into a line that clicked well, but was also in the second scoring line, so wasn't yet targeted by opposition

Second year was a good year, production wise

Third year, concussions, military service and now being the go-to guy on the first line, playing against the best the opposition had to throw. Was still disappointing to see his production disappear in the playoffs (scratch that, they won the championship)

Hope he improves in the camp.

FanboySlayer*

His goals totals were virtually identical in all 3 of his SM-liiga seasons. So that in of itself isn't encouraging (though I don't see it as an issue),

How often do offensive players who become significant NHL players plateau during their development seasons whether those seasons are in junior, euro pro league, NCAA? I bet it's a very small number.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
How often do offensive players who become significant NHL players plateau during their development seasons whether those seasons are in junior, euro pro league, NCAA? I bet it's a very small number.

If I worried about every draft pick that hadnt played a game in the NHL I'd never sleep. Worry about something worrying, like McNabb or Myers. Save Armia for another day. You're gonna go grey at this rate.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
One unnamed player from pittsburgh just went scoreless for 4 games in playoffs. Nobody scores on whim, slumps and bad luck happen.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

It's not as if Armia didn't generate chances in the tournament. He'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad