Prospect Info: Joel Armia (2011, 16th) – '14-15: Rochester #33 (AHL) – 2015: Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm also curious. Have heard practically nothing about Armia lately, which I find surprising for a 1st round pick of a few years ago who should be nearing the stage of his development by this point where he gets a crack at the NHL.

He is still adjusting to North American play.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Barring a real turn around, I can't imagine he'll even approach a spot on the Sabres to start next season.

He's got unbelievable skill, but pretty much every other area of his game is lacking.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Barring a real turn around, I can't imagine he'll even approach a spot on the Sabres to start next season.

He's got unbelievable skill, but pretty much every other area of his game is lacking.

I have to imagine he's one of Cunneyworth's main priorities, because I don't see Chadd helping him round out his game.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto

Too skinny, plays the perimeter. Needs size and grit to get to the dirty areas... the size should come in time, the grit is TBD.

Really can't see Joel adding enough bulk between now and next September, so another year of Ra-cha-cha is what I expect.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Couple of my main observations from him:

1) Great skill, great vision. You'll see it every other game it seems. Has made some great passes and has an awesome shot. However, you don't see this at all because he's not physical and not willing to get physical to ever get himself into a good scoring position. He doesn't like to battle along the boards, so he will never win one of those and create a scoring chance off of that. Likes to hang around the perimeter and then try to skate around the opposition. Usually results in a turnover.

2) Gets caught coasting on the backcheck all the time. I see it every game. Gliding through the neutral zone. Isn't effective in the defensive zone. Again, rarely engages physically or, when he does, wins those battles. I wouldn't say he's a huge defensive liability, but he's not good.

Despite all of that, I think he can turn into an NHLer, but he needs good coaching and a lot of it. Cassidy isn't the guy. Cunneyworth or whoever else is brought in will have their hands full next year.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

1) Great skill, great vision. You'll see it every other game it seems. Has made some great passes and has an awesome shot. However, you don't see this at all because he's not physical and not willing to get physical to ever get himself into a good scoring position. He doesn't like to battle along the boards, so he will never win one of those and create a scoring chance off of that. Likes to hang around the perimeter and then try to skate around the opposition. Usually results in a turnover.

2) Gets caught coasting on the backcheck all the time. I see it every game. Gliding through the neutral zone. Isn't effective in the defensive zone. Again, rarely engages physically or, when he does, wins those battles. I wouldn't say he's a huge defensive liability, but he's not good.

Despite all of that, I think he can turn into an NHLer, but he needs good coaching and a lot of it. Cassidy isn't the guy. Cunneyworth or whoever else is brought in will have their hands full next year.

It's pretty strange given how great of a two way game he played down the stretch for Assat last year. Oh well, development is never linear.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

IIRC, that's exactly what our Finnish friends were saying after his draft year and then early last year. Then towards the end of the year and into the playoffs, he just beasted.

I wonder if it's just a matter of him being comfortable and confident?

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
IIRC, that's exactly what our Finnish friends were saying after his draft year and then early last year. Then towards the end of the year and into the playoffs, he just beasted.

I wonder that too. Which wouldn't be great either.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm assuming that's a lot of it. I don't expect much out of him the rest of this season but next year I think he'll make a big improvement.

Zeitung

Jan 16, 2013

This is a very important to notice Armia has always been very streaky, but this situation is very different. He has moved to another country from a small town where he has lived his whole life. Considering that and the fact that he is from Finland, I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles with mental problems like home sickness. People can react very differently to "hard" situations. If he has some adapting problems it is very obvious that it affects his play and vice versa.

He is known to train very hard and if he stays healthy next summer, bulks up a little bit, I wouldn't be surprised if he played with Sabres next season. He can play physical hockey, but its something that he needs to do constantly in the smaller rink. With that height and skillset only thing he needs, is to get his confidence and mental side back to normal. We have to remember that he is still very young and he has been only half a season in NA.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hey guys,

I am an outsider wondering what You guys think about Armia. How has he been playing and do you expect him to be on Buffalo anytime soon? Is he a physical player? What do you project him as? Thanks, any advice will be appreciated.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He could be with the Sabres next year. Not super physical but uses his body well. Probably tops out as a below average first line winger very good 2nd liner

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
"He's a really good pick-pocket," Amerks coach Chadd Cassidy said.

For Joel Armia, a recall to Sabres can't be far away
Kevin Oklobzija, Staff writer 12:06 a.m. EST November 22, 2014

Silly-good puck skills, a deceptive release on a dynamic shot, very good skating, an awareness of defensive responsibilities, and a competitive drive to never give up on a play are the highlights to his game.

It's a well-rounded game that is now elite in the American Hockey League, and will fit quite nicely into the NHL.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...11/22/armia-recall-cant-be-far-away/19382561/

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
I'd really like to see both Grigorenko and Armia get a shot up here down the stretch. Assuming Stafford and Stewart are moved, there will definitely be space in the lineup. Based on their play so far, they deserve it.

Is everyone basically penciling Armia into their lineups for next year?

Bps21*

I have Armia on the team next year yeah. He's been brought along the right way and the benefits of that are starting to burst through. Obviously he has to earn it in camp...but we are about to have top RW minutes moved at the deadline...so there will be opportunity.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Loved this guy since he was drafted. Couldn't wait for him to get across the pond. I hope we do see him in Buffalo sooner than later. Seems that he's honed his defensive game enough to be an NHLer and since he may never be a big hitter, the stick work is that much more important. But, let's be honest, he's not here to be a shut down winger. Looking forward to seeing those dazzling hands and sniper rifle we desperately need in Buffalo. If he picks a few pockets along the way, that's just an added bonus. I don't usually gush over players but this dude is gifted. I think his all around game will translate well at the next level. Glad to see he's not being looked at as Grigorenko's tag along because any play maker would make an excellent compliment. Bring it on Yole!

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Loved this guy since he was drafted. Couldn't wait for him to get across the pond. I hope we do see him in Buffalo sooner than later. Seems that he's honed his defensive game enough to be an NHLer and since he may never be a big hitter, the stick work is that much more important. But, let's be honest, he's not here to be a shut down winger. Looking forward to seeing those dazzling hands and sniper rifle we desperately need in Buffalo. If he picks a few pockets along the way, that's just an added bonus. I don't usually gush over players but this dude is gifted. I think his all around game will translate well at the next level. Glad to see he's not being looked at as Grigorenko's tag along because any play maker would make an excellent compliment. Bring it on Yole!

Across the pond?

But I'm excited to have someone with pure goal scoring instincts coming up through the system. This team struggles so badly to score goals, so it'll be nice to watch Armia's progression. I'm still not counting on him to be a top six winger for the next ten years or anything like that, but it's been fun to watch his progression.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Across the pond?

But I'm excited to have someone with pure goal scoring instincts coming up through the system. This team struggles so badly to score goals, so it'll be nice to watch Armia's progression. I'm still not counting on him to be a top six winger for the next ten years or anything like that, but it's been fun to watch his progression.

The Atlantic Ocean. From Finland. To Western New York.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

I'm very excitet too, although I haven't seen him play other than some pre-season game. But the way he's described, I wonder how useful he is to Buffalo (and how useful Buffalo is to him) as long as it's a struggling team. I mean, it sounds to me like Armia is the kind of guy you add to a team that already has a descent possession game and some playmakers. Before we've got our **** together, I'm afraid it will only hurt Armia's career to be up here. There's no plays for him to finnish off. :)

But next year, if the development we're seing continues, and maybe a couple of quality players added, I'm very much looking forward to Armia.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'm very excitet too, although I haven't seen him play other than some pre-season game. But the way he's described, I wonder how useful he is to Buffalo (and how useful Buffalo is to him) as long as it's a struggling team. I mean, it sounds to me like Armia is the kind of guy you add to a team that already has a descent possession game and some playmakers. Before we've got our **** together, I'm afraid it will only hurt Armia's career to be up here. There's no plays for him to finnish off. :)

But next year, if the development we're seing continues, and maybe a couple of quality players added, I'm very much looking forward to Armia.

Good points. Perhaps Armia will get to see some NHL action due to injury or ****** play, then force himself into a regular spot. He seems like he might use time to acclimate himself to The League, which could be an argument against him playing into a regular spot this year, but if he could, we might see the same progression next year in Buffalo that he's been able to maintain this year in in ROC. Time will tell and if he can keep up intensity and passion on a crap team, then he could be our Hossa when we're competitive.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@SabresProspects

Joel Armia has 1+1 as Rochester leads UTI 3-0 end 1st. His next-level development is the biggest prospect story thus far this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln