Prospect Info: Joel Armia (2011, 16th) – '14-15: Rochester #33 (AHL) – 2015: Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
The last thing the "organization" should be doing is throwing another rookie into the steaming pile of dung that is in Buffalo right now.

Get him in Rochester where they at least are winning some games.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC 5m
Rookie RW Joel Armia no longer in red #Amerks practice sweater so he appears to be much closer to making his pro debut.

Looks like he may play tomorrow. Or at least this weekend. Who knows about that weird Sabres tweet. Another in the long line of weird ones by them.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm always interested in giving kids a look, but guys like Armia and Zads should spend most of the year developing elsewhere.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Looks like he'll get a few games in Buffalo atleast.... He was given a locker today.

could be motivation to the other kids as well. If you don't want Armia taking your spot then you better play hard. Any chance they send John Scott down after the suspension to create some space?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Rob Sanderson
‏@RSandersonWHTK
F Joel Armia making pro debut right now for #Amerks (at Hamilton), wearing No. 33. Selected 16th overall in 2011 NHL Entry Draft by #Sabres.

Armia makes his real NA pro debut.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Armia made his Amerks debut today in a morning Kids Day game in Hamilton. Played on a line with Jamie Tardif and Phil Varone. He finished with three shots - had no goals, no assists - had a 0 +/- (was on the ice for the two first period goals - one by Varone and the lone Hamilton goal of the game.) and had two penalty minutes - tripping call - 13:05 - third period.

Amerks went on to win the game 3-1 behind two goals by Luke Adam that were scored in the third period. Amerks snapped a three game losing streak - next games are Friday in Utica and Saturday in Binghamton.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
http://finnscout.com/podcast-armia-v...n-nov-16-2013/

Here is a podcast from some scouts? They talk about Armia's game.
I agree most of the points that they make, especially that one that Armia's offensive potential is highest from all the finnish prospects.

However i disagree what they talk about his defensive game. He was on of the best defending forward in the playoffs with ässät.

He has only played three games this season so i expect him to be better in bothways of the game when he plays more and adjust to the na gamestyle.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
http://finnscout.com/podcast-armia-v...n-nov-16-2013/

Here is a podcast from some scouts? They talk about Armia's game.
I agree most of the points that they make, especially that one that Armia's offensive potential is highest from all the finnish prospects.

However i disagree what they talk about his defensive game. He was on of the best defending forward in the playoffs with ässät.

He has only played three games this season so i expect him to be better in bothways of the game when he plays more and adjust to the na gamestyle.

Your URL got truncated. Fixed link

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I'd like to see him play eventually, maybe when theres an injury or two in our current lineup. Don't know anything about the guy other than a ton of Sabre fans were excited about him, even moreso than Grigorenko.

Do you think he will keep his AHL #33 in the NHL?

SuperJoel

Nov 6, 2013
I'd like to see him play eventually, maybe when theres an injury or two in our current lineup. Don't know anything about the guy other than a ton of Sabre fans were excited about him, even moreso than Grigorenko.

Do you think he will keep his AHL #33 in the NHL?

Don't know about the number but I can't wait to see him in the NHL!

I am from his home town and started watching this player when he played on the juniors. Took my attention from the very first shift and now I consider myself a hardcore fanboy of Joel Armia :)

I've watched him really close during these years he played in Finland and he definitely have some phenomenal potential. His hands and hockey IQ (imo) are extremely good but he isn't reaching the full potential of those yet. This applies for other areas of his game as well. For example physical game, he should have the tools for it, still not using them. This could be explained quite easily since in Finnish hockey league, you barely deliver big hits since you'll be awarded game misconduct more than often... Yes, even from clean hits.

Armia's play-making abilities were underrated in Finland. Due to his good hands, hockey IQ and passing abilities, he can move the puck around and create scoring opportunities for his teammates as well.

But as I am sure many of us like : I am most interested to see the true Joel Armia on the ice. The showman with magical hands. Deep down he likes to entertain and he owns an "soul of an artist" which makes it tricky sometimes. You give him one goal, deke or perfect pass that leads to goal and you'll have a beast in your hands. He is the kind of guy who lives and breath for points. Goals.

These are all just my observations from Joel Armia, I am sure someone has more analytic way to approach this player :)

I think this has been linked here many times but one more time, for the sake of Armia's first NHL game that is coming ;)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Don't know about the number but I can't wait to see him in the NHL!

I am from his home town and started watching this player when he played on the juniors. Took my attention from the very first shift and now I consider myself a hardcore fanboy of Joel Armia :)

I've watched him really close during these years he played in Finland and he definitely have some phenomenal potential. His hands and hockey IQ (imo) are extremely good but he isn't reaching the full potential of those yet. This applies for other areas of his game as well. For example physical game, he should have the tools for it, still not using them. This could be explained quite easily since in Finnish hockey league, you barely deliver big hits since you'll be awarded game misconduct more than often... Yes, even from clean hits.

Armia's play-making abilities were underrated in Finland. Due to his good hands, hockey IQ and passing abilities, he can move the puck around and create scoring opportunities for his teammates as well.

But as I am sure many of us like : I am most interested to see the true Joel Armia on the ice. The showman with magical hands. Deep down he likes to entertain and he owns an "soul of an artist" which makes it tricky sometimes. You give him one goal, deke or perfect pass that leads to goal and you'll have a beast in your hands. He is the kind of guy who lives and breath for points. Goals.

These are all just my observations from Joel Armia, I am sure someone has more analytic way to approach this player :)

I think this has been linked here many times but one more time, for the sake of Armia's first NHL game that is coming ;)

Thanks for sharing. I agree with most of what you said. It's unknown how much of his potential will manifest at the next level, but I feel good about him becoming a solid all-around player in addition to being offensively productive. If he can just be average defensively and play physical, he will have success in the NHL.

The Youtube didn't embed properly. You have to just take the video identifier out of the URL (everything after 'v='), in this case 'jiJoeG9PPvw', and put that in the YT tag.

SuperJoel

Nov 6, 2013
Here's a podcast analysis of Armia's play following the 7-3 loss to Bingo --> https://soundcloud.com/finnscout-1/podcast-armia-vs-binghampton

Thanks!

As the guys behind the mic said, there is no chance unfortunately Armia would be playing on Sochi 2014. And to be honest, I don't think anybody is realistically even expecting that.

They mentioned forechecking, and I actually forgot to mention his backchecking. If you are there watching Armia's game, pay attention his abilities to take-away the puck from behind. Reminds me a bit of Datsyuk (not comparing these two ;) ) and his quick stick.

Stizz09

Jul 13, 2012
wanted to bump this... his stat line isn't super impressive right now 2G 4A in 12GP.. just wondering what kind of opportunities hes getting down in Rochester... whos he playing with, what kind of minutes is he getting, any PP time etc.... I understand this season is a transitional season for Armia as he familiarizes himself to the smaller ice and more physical game.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
wanted to bump this... his stat line isn't super impressive right now 2G 4A in 12GP.. just wondering what kind of opportunities hes getting down in Rochester... whos he playing with, what kind of minutes is he getting, any PP time etc.... I understand this season is a transitional season for Armia as he familiarizes himself to the smaller ice and more physical game.

Not great, but not bad for a 20 year old. I think a full year down there and he will get 40 points in a full NHL season next year.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
He's simply not willing to go into the corners or engage in physical contact. At some point he needs to accept it. Perimeter player at this point. Barely plays in the defensive zone. And has been demoted to the 3rd line. Part of the process. But he's been bad.

Zeitung

Jan 16, 2013
So, how has Armia looked lately? He has scored a few points in last games, even though Amerks has lost a lot. Anyone seen any games?

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I'm also curious. Have heard practically nothing about Armia lately, which I find surprising for a 1st round pick of a few years ago who should be nearing the stage of his development by this point where he gets a crack at the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille