Injury Report: Joe Woll - High Ankle Sprain - Feb 26: Recalled from conditioning stint

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So if Woll is back and ready to go what do we do? Because we got 3 goalies do we really waive or trade Jones? Or do we keep all 3?

Because if you waive him he's not likely to clear thistime, which means if Woll got hurt again or something happened to Samsonov your 3rd goalie becomes either a rookie in his first season in North America.

OR a 25 year old that can barely play in the AHL let alone the NHL.

The right call here appears to be keep 3 goalies

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So if Woll is back and ready to go what do we do? Because we got 3 goalies do we really waive or trade Jones? Or do we keep all 3?

Because if you waive him he's not likely to clear thistime, which means if Woll got hurt again or something happened to Samsonov your 3rd goalie becomes either a rookie in his first season in North America.

OR a 25 year old that can barely play in the AHL let alone the NHL.

The right call here appears to be keep 3 goalies
You keep 3 as long as you can but at some point Jones is probably hitting the waiver wire.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Hard to seeing them waiving Jones right now. I think they will carry all three for now, although I agree that they may have to end up waiving him to create space for another body.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Wouldn't we waive Sammy? With his contract he is way less likely to be claimed. He can then be activated after the deadline or once the postseason starts so we have 3 goalies

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Wouldn't we waive Sammy? With his contract he is way less likely to be claimed. He can then be activated after the deadline or once the postseason starts so we have 3 goalies
He would not get through and that is a pretty massive gamble to risk running a Woll-Jones tandem in the playoffs. Woll and Sammy will absolutely not see waivers again this season. Jones may have to by the deadline depending on what we do.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Someone would claim Samsonov for sure, non playoff teams have nothing to lose, he’s better than Ottawas 2 guys for example and they might just do it for spite. Plenty of other scenarios around the league as well. Martin will almost certainly be the one waived if it comes down to it,

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
You keep 3 as long as you can but at some point Jones is probably hitting the waiver wire.
Nah they trade him to Calgary after the Flames move Markstrom. They will need a low cost guy so they aren't forced to run .878 Wolf and .888 Vladar for the rest of the year. Maybe he can be the + in a Tanev deal :laugh:

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
And yet still positive GSAA on the year. Most teams will be in trouble if they have to use their third stringer, but at least there is a higher probability with Jones that you might get acceptable enough goaltending to win. Having a better 3G than others, is still having a better 3G.

Would you pick Jones over Samsonov? Using 3 goalies until the playoffs hurts the team both by roster flexibility and the cap.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
The Leafs are probably going to waive Jones on deadline day. My guess is as others have already mentioned, no one will claim him post deadline because he wouldn't even be playoff eligible for a competitive team this season, and a non-competitive team will have no need for a 34 year old Martin Jones.

He essentially will just become an extra 875k in post deadline cap room, and remain the 3rd goalie on the depth chart.

Reactions: Kurtz

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Most goalies will win when they get 7 goals of support.

He allowed 3 bad goals IMO. If you look at xGF, he allowed 3 goals on under 2 expected goals.
I was replying to a comment that stated if Jones is our goalie we loose. I didn’t say he was Martin Brodeur in his prime.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I know this is the Joseph Woll injury thread but we know he's coming back very soon so I have to ask has their been any update on Jarnkrok?

I haven't seen anything

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Great news. In the end, the team's success in the playoffs will primarily hinge on him as the goalie.

As for Jones, you have to keep him around at this point, if anything, for insurance purposes. Between Samsonov's volatility, Woll's injury history, and there being little time between now and the trade deadline (let alone the price to acquire a goalie), best the team works the roster around a 3-goalie situation. He's proved more than capable -- both this season with the Leafs stepping up/in and in the past -- to hold things down for a short period of time if required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad