Injury Report: Joe Woll - High Ankle Sprain - Feb 26: Recalled from conditioning stint

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
If they keep Woll in the minors until after the deadline and then call him up after the deadline, would they be able to keep three goalies on the roster without sending anyone else down?
Post deadline is no different than pre deadline.

Only in the playoffs do you not need to be cap compliant which I still don't quite understand.
Why that loophole?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Only in the playoffs do you not need to be cap compliant which I still don't quite understand.
Why that loophole?

There's also no roster size restrictions once the playoffs start. A lot of teams without their AHL affiliates in the playoffs call-up a bunch of players.

I'd assume they will try to waive Jones after the trade deadline. Teams picking him up wouldn't be able to play him in the playoffs. I don't know if many non-playoff teams will care to pick him up for a few weeks.

I don't think they can realistically keep 3 goaltenders on the roster through the season, especially once they start getting healthy.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Why that loophole?
I would think the cautious approach is to keep Jones rather than risk losing him on waivers. However, because that requires sending someone down, presumably they end up waiving a guy like Lajoie instead?

I'd assume they will try to waive Jones after the trade deadline. Teams picking him up wouldn't be able to play him in the playoffs, so it probably wouldn't be overly worth it for any team to pick him up.
This makes sense, and would align with my thinking that they will keep Woll in the AHL until after the trade deadline.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I would think the cautious approach is to keep Jones rather than risk losing him on waivers. However, because that requires sending someone down, presumably they end up waiving a guy like Lajoie instead?

This makes sense, and would align with my thinking that they will keep Woll in the AHL until after the trade deadline.
They can't keep him there that long. The most a conditioning loan can be is 14 days I believe. Barring a setback he will return before the deadline.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
They can't keep him there that long. The most a conditioning loan can be is 14 days I believe. Barring a setback he will return before the deadline.
i believe they can extend it a week if mutually agreed upon... but i stand to be corrected
Capfriendly says this is LTI conditioning, which means Woll gets to stay on LTIR (ie. no roster spot needed), but this loan is only 6 days or 3 games, though the Leafs can ask for an extension which would allow Woll to stay for the Marlies game on Feb 28.

Given that roster size limits go away after the trade deadline, my guess is the Leafs will extend this loan for the extra game, and after sending Rifai/Lajoie down once Rielly is back, they'll have the roster spot to activate Woll off LTIR. Then they can send him down on the 14 day conditioning loan which would finish post-TDL, meaning they would only need the cap space (~1.6m) to keep both Woll and Jones on the roster.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This will be unpopular but if the Leafs have to use Martin Jones in the playoffs they've already lost. I don't like the idea of playing cap games with multiple conditioning stints if Woll is ready to go. He's our best goalie. Our best shot at success in the postseason is him getting back in a groove at the NHL level, which will be more challenging if he doesn't play regular NHL games until after the deadline. Whatever the gap is between Jones and Hildeby as the #3 is not worth altering a natural plan of return for Woll.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This will be unpopular but if the Leafs have to use Martin Jones in the playoffs they've already lost. I don't like the idea of playing cap games with multiple conditioning stints if Woll is ready to go. He's our best goalie. Our best shot at success in the postseason is him getting back in a groove at the NHL level, which will be more challenging if he doesn't play regular NHL games until after the deadline. Whatever the gap is between Jones and Hildeby as the #3 is not worth altering a natural plan of return for Woll.
I'm sure once Woll is healthy he'll play, whether that is before or after the deadline remains to be seen.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
32w 27L with a .917 career playoff for Jones with a Stanley cup run. There is not a much better #3 IMO In the league. Sure beats Hutchinson.

not sure why you would throw in the towel. He just beat LV on the road on the backend of a back to back.

Reactions: Jmo89

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
32w 27L with a .917 career playoff for Jones with a Stanley cup run. There is not a much better #3 IMO In the league. Sure beats Hutchinson.

not sure why you would throw in the towel. He just beat LV on the road on the backend of a back to back.

he hasn't played more than one playoff game in a year since 2018-2019. I don't find that particularly compelling when in the interim he put up 4 seasons of terrible goaltending.

I'm not throwing him away just for the sake of it but if Woll is ready (36/37 saves tonight) you bring him up and get him back in the flow of NHL games. He's the guy and you shouldn't keep him on the Marlies for longer than necessary because you're afraid of losing your #3.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Most goalies will win when they get 7 goals of support.

He allowed 3 bad goals IMO. If you look at xGF, he allowed 3 goals on under 2 expected goals.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Most goalies will win when they get 7 goals of support.

He allowed 3 bad goals IMO. If you look at xGF, he allowed 3 goals on under 2 expected goals.

And yet still positive GSAA on the year. Most teams will be in trouble if they have to use their third stringer, but at least there is a higher probability with Jones that you might get acceptable enough goaltending to win. Having a better 3G than others, is still having a better 3G.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Does he come back up next week or does he get another start with the Marlies?

I believe that they said the timeline is up to Woll. A conditioning stint is max two weeks, but I would guess he will be back and plays against Arizona on Thursday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad