Injury Report: Joe Woll - High Ankle Sprain - Feb 26: Recalled from conditioning stint

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If I was Keefe, I would platoon Samsonov and Woll the rest of the way and let their play decide who is the starter in game 1 of the playoffs. If it's too close to call, that will be a great problem to have.
I suspect that Woll will probably only get 10 or 12 of the remaining regular season games, and that he will be the starter for game 1 of the first round. Absent injury, I don't think we will see Samsonov at all in the playoffs.

Reactions: authentic

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I suspect that Woll will probably only get 10 or 12 of the remaining regular season games, and that he will be the starter for game 1 of the first round. Absent injury, I don't think we will see Samsonov at all in the playoffs.
It will depend on if Woll plays like he did before the injury

Reactions: banks

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
According to CapFriendly, Woll is still on LTIR.
Ya, wierd, to me 13.9 of CBA says LTIR ends when conditioning loan ends, but who am I to argue with CapFriendly. Splitting hairs either way, about to be back on roster.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
Will be interesting to see how he responds after all this time off. It’s also kind of a weird situation for Samsanov as he’s turned things around but still may lose the net again if Woll just comes back and dominates.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Will be interesting to see how he responds after all this time off. It’s also kind of a weird situation for Samsanov as he’s turned things around but still may lose the net again if Woll just comes back and dominates.
Samsonov has turned things around relative to his start.

His save % during his recent run still starts with a .8XX

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Samsonov has turned things around relative to his start.

His save % during his recent run still starts with a .8XX

Really? I remember he had a .942 his first 4 games back… has he really been that bad since then that he’s dropped below .900 overall since his return? Doesn’t seem like it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So if Woll is back and ready to go what do we do? Because we got 3 goalies do we really waive or trade Jones? Or do we keep all 3?

Because if you waive him he's not likely to clear thistime,

I don't think the Maple Leafs would have any problem whatsoever getting Martin Jones through waivers.

Who do you think would claim him?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't think the Maple Leafs would have any problem whatsoever getting Martin Jones through waivers.

Who do you think would claim him?
I think his play earlier in the season would garner attention from any teams in search of goaltending depth.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Couldn't ask for a better first game back than Arizona, who are playing like they don't care if they win another game this season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Couldn't ask for a better first game back than Arizona, who are playing like they don't care if they win another game this season.

Is he confirmed to start that game? because I thought I heard on the broadcast last night that they wanted him to start next week.

Which would make sense because there are 4 games next week including a back to back

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Is he confirmed to start that game? because I thought I heard on the broadcast last night that they wanted him to start next week.

Which would make sense because there are 4 games next week including a back to back
I have no idea. I was just guessing. Could very well be that they defer it to next week, maybe to the Buffalo game?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
IMG_7801.jpeg

Interesting

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Unless Woll really falters, it's his net to lose, not Samsonov.

Samsonov may have "turned it around" compared to his ECHL level performances before his demotion, but he still hasn't been nearly good enough to be the starting goaltender for a team with Cup aspirations. I'm pretty sure he still has a sub-.900 save percentage since returning to the NHL.

Would be really weird to recall him from his conditioning stint just to have him sit on the bench for a week+

He's starting tonight, so that's not going to happen, but even if it had, I don't think it would be very odd. Getting Woll multiple NHL practices before he gets back in the cage wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Reactions: Cap'n Flavour

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3