News Article: Joe Veleno

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
im pumped to see what he can do in the AHL next year.
I saw him in sept at the Ren Cen and the kid needs to put on some lbs.. but that being said, you cant teach the skill and talent he has. IDC if people bring him down, the kid has done everything so far we've asked for him to do, so ya cant complain.

If he can put on 5-10 lbs this summer, have a strong year in the AHL, maybe we see him fighting for a spot the following year.
You add Hughes or Kakko with him, zadina and berggren.. the looks for the forward unit looks that much more deadly.. obviously someone either will be traded or wont pan out but id like to take the odds on that it does pan out.

great season for JV..

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
And best pick could be McIsaac...

And before the injury, the hype train was forming for Berggren. If he can get healthy, he's in the fold as well. Realistically, of our first 4 picks, we made 3 selections that have shown glimpses of being worthy of selections a decent clip higher than than where they were selected, and the 4th one was Zadina. That's a huge draft for stocking talent.

Now we just need Horcoff to work his magic that he's been demonstrating.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
And before the injury, the hype train was forming for Berggren. If he can get healthy, he's in the fold as well. Realistically, of our first 4 picks, we made 3 selections that have shown glimpses of being worthy of selections a decent clip higher than than where they were selected, and the 4th one was Zadina. That's a huge draft for stocking talent.

Now we just need Horcoff to work his magic that he's been demonstrating.
I think you can say 5 picks as Regula has shown more than I expected (even if he plays net front PP)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Final 3 regular season games from Drummondville are tonight, Friday, and Saturday. Should something crazy happen in the playoffs and Drummondville were to have an early exit, are we completely unable to give Veleno a look in Grand Rapids considering he hasn't signed his ELC? With the signing of Hirose and Kuffner, I think that takes our contract total to 50 of an available 50. I don't think we have the room to sign Veleno this year.

Will have to hope that they have a long playoff run if that is indeed the case.

ignition16

Feb 21, 2014
With the signing of Hirose and Kuffner, I think that takes our contract total to 50 of an available 50. I don't think we have the room to sign Veleno this year.

CapFriendly currently shows the Wings at 48 contracts of the 50. Hopefully we'll see a signing soon so that he could join the Griffs if Drummondville has an early exit.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
CapFriendly currently shows the Wings at 48 contracts of the 50. Hopefully we'll see a signing soon so that he could join the Griffs if Drummondville has an early exit.

I reviewed that this morning and swore that it was missing Kuffner and Hirose, but now that I look again they are on the list. Thanks for catching that.

Veleno more so than any prospect we have had recently (Rasmussen last year, Cholowski two years ago/last year) feels like someone that has the most to prove in a test run in Grand Rapids. 41 goals, 102 points in 56 games...he's in the elite tier of CHL performances this year, he's likely beyond the junior skill level. See how well he adapts to playing against men in the heat of the playoff time frame in the AHL to gauge where he ends up next year.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Does anyone know if players on LTIR are counted as standard contracts? I think the difference between 48 and 50 might be Z & Franzen

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Can't they sign him to an ATO/PTO to play for the Griffs in the playoffs? I think that is what Larkin did before he signed his NHL deal.

It looks like he was in GR on an ATO, but also had signed his ELC? I'm wondering if they are not related at the end of the day. Just through digging through old articles, Larkin signed his ELC and reported to GR on an ATO I think signed on the same day, or close enough. Cholowski signed his ELC towards the end of the season, and then signed his ATO a few days later to report to Grand Rapids.

Seems to be this is pretty common for a player they aren't entirely sure of their likelihood to make the jump at the beginning of the year. Once their season winds down and their intentions become clear, they get their ELC and a tryout.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Joe with his 42nd tonight and 103 Point in his 57th Game... It was a 3-1 Loss for Drummondville.

2 Games left in the regular season... Can he go +5 in the last 2 Games to finish at the magical +70? No one has done it in the Q since Crosby in the 04-05 Season. (+78)

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Drummondville is really unlikely to go home early. They are one of the big boys on the block down there. I would be sort of surprised if they aren't in the last four at the very least in the QMJHL. Now the Griffins could go on a big run, but I am still hopeful Veleno can lead them to the title and play in the Memorial against McIsaac.

Reactions: H3ckt1k

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Actually Vellano isn’t even leading the Q in plus minus. He’s at 65 and Abbandonato is at 68

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Really nice write-up on JV from The Atlantic In Drummondville, the Red Wings' future is in a playoff push...

Still, there’s not a whole lot that can fully prepare Veleno for the challenges he will face once his next camp begins after the draft. In Year 1 as a prospect, it’s easier to impress. In Year 2, the expectations go up.
“I think he’ll be a star in (the) very short future for the Red Wings,” Hartley [Drum's Head Coach] said, and don’t think fans in Detroit aren’t counting on it.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
JV has never had a season where he's scored over 20 goals. How did he jump to 42 already? Is Danny Cleary just coaching his ass off? Why is he suddenly a sniper?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
JV has never had a season where he's scored over 20 goals. How did he jump to 42 already? Is Danny Cleary just coaching his ass off? Why is he suddenly a sniper?

He had 22 last year, but the overall numbers still support your point.

Since joining the Q, he averaged:
0.21 Goals/Game
0.29 Goals/Game
0.34 Goals/Game
0.71 Goals/Game

Last year he split about evenly between Saint John and Drummondville and he was at 0.19 Goals/Game and 0.48 Goals/Game respectively, so there is definitely something to be attributed to his change of scenery (read: playing on a better team gives him more opportunity). Playing around a better supporting cast probably opens up the ice for him quite a bit, but the Athletic article above mentions also how much he has taken to the training and coaching that the Wings have pushed on him. I'm sure he is physically stronger, faster, and more aware of the things going on around him and how to be more of a lethal offensive threat thanks to the work with Detroit, and confidence is a hell of a performance enhancer.

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that this aspect of his game has always been present considering his pedigree, but this discussion is the best kind. "Why did this player become a high level talent?" is certainly more enjoyable than the alternative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad