Confirmed Signing with Link: Joe Thornton signs with HC Davos in Switzerland

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
He plays for free, gets no salary. So they probably agreed that he can cancel the contract anytime the NHL starts.
Thornton also has a Swiss passport, which means he doesn't affect the other imports who are playing for Davos.
Are you sure about the playing for free part?

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Good for Thornton if this is the case. This is I believe his 3rd stint with the team (?). Obviously has a great connection with the team and city. I'm sure him playing again for them will be a highlight for many fans, players on their roster and even opposing players.

Reactions: Ciao

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Good for Thornton if this is the case. This is I believe his 3rd stint with the team (?). Obviously has a great connection with the team and city. I'm sure him playing again for them will be a highlight for many fans, players on their roster and even opposing players.

He owns a house there and his wife is from there. So it's basically his second home.

Are you sure about the playing for free part?

Yeah, it was reported here in Switzerland from a newspaper.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Makes sense to get in game shape at his age. Also I think he is like 10 points from 100 career points with the club.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
wondering this as well

doubt it, but is he locked in over there?

He must have an out clause as he states that he will be back once the 2020-21 season starts.

Joe Thornton joins Swiss club HC Davos, plans to return to NHL

According to a statement from Davos, translated from German by Sportsnet using Google Translate, Thornton will return to North American once the 2020-21 NHL season resumes.
"Due to the currently tense economic situation at the Hockey Club Davos, Joe Thornton has agreed that any modest compensation can only be made next season," the translated statement reads.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
What I got out of this. 31 time champs?!?! What are there 2 teams?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad