Confirmed Signing with Link: Joe Thornton signs with HC Davos in Switzerland

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I know he isn't doing it for the money, it's more of a lifestyle choice for him at his age, he has made plenty of money in his long career. But, i'm surprised he is the first NHL'er of note to do so. With so many league minimum contracts being signed you would think a smart agent and player would have signed in Europe for more money, easier schedule and if they do well they can sign back in the NHL after the Euro season ends. Double dip if you will. They are currently playing and the NHL won't start for months. Perfect opportunity to double dip, I don't think there is a rule against it. I may be wrong.
I think Joe having a Swiss passport and not taking up an import slot is a big reason why he signed and other stars haven’t.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Some key stereotype level differences that make it easier to keep track:

Switzerland: Central Europe - German, Italian and/or French language - one of the smallest surface countries in Europe - lots of high mountains - downhill skiing - yodeling - chocolate.

Sweden: Northern Europe - Swedish language - one of the biggest surface countries in Europe - not very mountainous, more rolling hills - cross country skiing - Volvo/IKEA - meatballs.
Dont forget about death metal

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Those are both Swedish ya good!
Hell Volvo's are as good as Chinese now.

Both have nothing to do with Switzerland.

I'm teaching you this because you made an ass of yourself here, don't make an ass of yourself out there!
kamprad lived in switzerland for years.
and probably the black money of the volvo management team is booked in a swiss bank.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Stop being offended by everything, lol goodness
If you think that not finding something funny = offended, i don't think you're qualified enough to have an opinion about anything.

This is not me being offended, i think i have to point this out considering the context.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Thornton seems like the guy who wants to play hockey and have a good time. Not necessarily chase the cup at all costs. This isn't shocking especially with his wife coming from that country.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Thornton seems like the guy who wants to play hockey and have a good time. Not necessarily chase the cup at all costs. This isn't shocking especially with his wife coming from that country.

Say what you will about him but you cannot deny his love of playing the game.

coletta44

Feb 20, 2006
Makes sense,quality of life is top shelf in Switzerland and it seems Joe cares about that.Would you blame him?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Makes sense since he spends the summers there.
Exactly, sire. And after this 2 month stint, he'll be a Maple Leaf for life sire :clap: I'm so loving life right now since we are doing it back to the pat quinn days. Vets, thugs, hittas, heavy, old, presence, hard. Everything. :clap: This is what makes the REAL maple leaf fan tic hard. This is all we ask. We might lose, after winning some. But our motto was then: If a sucka loses, lose hard. That's life and we all loved it. Now its back.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Some key stereotype level differences that make it easier to keep track:

Switzerland: Central Europe - German, Italian and/or French language - one of the smallest surface countries in Europe - lots of high mountains - downhill skiing - yodeling - chocolate.

Sweden: Northern Europe - Swedish language - one of the biggest surface countries in Europe - not very mountainous, more rolling hills - cross country skiing - Volvo/IKEA - meatballs.
The ones accidently getting swedish chocolate and swiss meatballs would be very disappointed :D

Reactions: BSHH

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
What I got out of this. 31 time champs?!?! What are there 2 teams?
It was mostly in the very early, "primitive" era. In one form or another, the Swiss league existed since 1909.

HC Davos won the championship 8 times from 1961 to now (last in 2015).

They won 23 times from 1926 to 1960. In those days, being in a colder region, like the canton (= state) of Graubünden (=where Davos is) is, was a significant advantage.
Think of this... Out of 34 seasons from 1926 to 1960, only 3 seasons saw a team from outside Graubünden win the championship. For 31 seasons, the winners were Davos (23), Arosa (7), St Moritz (1).

I hope this helps.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
He lives in Switzerland in the offseason -- as that is where he met his wife.

Whatever deal he made with Davos would also likely include an out should he sign an NHL contract.

For a guy signing at league minimum (in the context of the 27 year olds), the prospect of leaving North America for Europe in the middle of a pandemic is not exactly exciting, as well, it poses the risk that whatever roster spot they would have gotten in the NHL gets taken up by somebody who is available to start the year.
Without being an expert, I would easily trust the Swiss health care system over any other. The virus also seems to be much more widespread in the US than in Switzerland.

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->