Confirmed Signing with Link: Joe Thornton signs with HC Davos in Switzerland

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
I know he isn't doing it for the money, it's more of a lifestyle choice for him at his age, he has made plenty of money in his long career. But, i'm surprised he is the first NHL'er of note to do so. With so many league minimum contracts being signed you would think a smart agent and player would have signed in Europe for more money, easier schedule and if they do well they can sign back in the NHL after the Euro season ends. Double dip if you will. They are currently playing and the NHL won't start for months. Perfect opportunity to double dip, I don't think there is a rule against it. I may be wrong.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
There is a difference?

Some key stereotype level differences that make it easier to keep track:

Switzerland: Central Europe - German, Italian and/or French language - one of the smallest surface countries in Europe - lots of high mountains - downhill skiing - yodeling - chocolate.

Sweden: Northern Europe - Swedish language - one of the biggest surface countries in Europe - not very mountainous, more rolling hills - cross country skiing - Volvo/IKEA - meatballs.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I know he isn't doing it for the money, it's more of a lifestyle choice for him at his age, he has made plenty of money in his long career. But, i'm surprised he is the first NHL'er of note to do so. With so many league minimum contracts being signed you would think a smart agent and player would have signed in Europe for more money, easier schedule and if they do well they can sign back in the NHL after the Euro season ends. Double dip if you will. They are currently playing and the NHL won't start for months. Perfect opportunity to double dip, I don't think there is a rule against it. I may be wrong.

My guess is that insuring top-talent players is a big hurdle for smaller European clubs.

Reactions: Morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad