Confirmed Signing with Link: Joe Thornton signs with HC Davos in Switzerland

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
with Jumbo signing with Davos, the number of active draft picks from the 1990's is slowly dwindling:

1990 - Jaromir Jagr. Last NHL game was in 2017. Technically still active with Kladno.
1991 - Ray Whitney, retired from NHL in 2014. Alexei Kovalev played with EHC Visp in 2016
1992 - Sergei Gonchar, retired from NHL in 2015. Darius Kasparaitis resurfaced for a handful of games in Lithuania, the most recent being in late 2017.
1993 - Kimmo Timonen, retired from NHL in 2015.
1994 - Patrik Elias, retired from NHL in 2016.
1995 - Shane Doan and Jarome Iginla, both retired in 2017.
1996 - Zdeno Chara. He is currently an unrestricted free agent.
1997 - Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. Thornton is signed with Davos and could return. Marleau has re-signed with the Sharks for a third time.
1998 - Francois Beauchemin, Mike Fisher, and Brian Gionta, all retired in 2018. Andrei Markov played in the KHL until 2020 and announced his retirement in April.
1999 - Craig Anderson and Ryan Miller both played in the NHL in 2020. Both are currently unrestricted free agents.

We're down to one player with an NHL contract, two players under contract outside of the NHL (yes, I know Jagr isn't coming back), and three UFA's.

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I know he isn't doing it for the money, it's more of a lifestyle choice for him at his age, he has made plenty of money in his long career. But, i'm surprised he is the first NHL'er of note to do so. With so many league minimum contracts being signed you would think a smart agent and player would have signed in Europe for more money, easier schedule and if they do well they can sign back in the NHL after the Euro season ends. Double dip if you will. They are currently playing and the NHL won't start for months. Perfect opportunity to double dip, I don't think there is a rule against it. I may be wrong.

He lives in Switzerland in the offseason -- as that is where he met his wife.

Whatever deal he made with Davos would also likely include an out should he sign an NHL contract.

For a guy signing at league minimum (in the context of the 27 year olds), the prospect of leaving North America for Europe in the middle of a pandemic is not exactly exciting, as well, it poses the risk that whatever roster spot they would have gotten in the NHL gets taken up by somebody who is available to start the year.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I thought Thornton's wife was Thai?? Did I just dream that he had a thai wife because he always vacationed in Thailand? I thought there was like an inside access thing about it

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
Too bad Rick Nash had to retire due to concussion related symptoms, otherwise they could play together there.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Cool that he's staying in shape, hope to see him back in the NHL next season
(also there seem to be a lot of offended swedes/swiss in this thread :laugh: )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->