Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton re-signs to 1 year deal 5 million AAV

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
I think the best way to keep him fresh is treat him more like a 4th line center. Don't give him 15 minutes a game, give him closer to 10.

I'd love to have him back for a low price ($2?). I don't think you're going to find a ton more productive 4/3 line players out there available.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Only in shark land will people think a 50 point 3rd line center playing 14 minutes a game should be demoted and or retire because he can't live up to his past self.

My only concern with bringing Thornton back is how to address the PK from a personnel perspective. I'm not worried about gas in his tank honestly nor am I worried about production. I'm worried that having him and Labanc on our 3rd line in part requires the team to use guys like Hertl and Couture extensively on the PK when that is wearing them out over the season. If they can finally get themselves a legitimate 4C that pushes Goodrow to the wing and adds another PK'er to at least get one of Couture or Hertl off the PK rotation, that would be ideal. It's still a problem that the other will be there and I don't know how you address that without moving on from one of Thornton or Labanc or Sorensen but all options have to be considered.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
My only concern with bringing Thornton back is how to address the PK from a personnel perspective. I'm not worried about gas in his tank honestly nor am I worried about production. I'm worried that having him and Labanc on our 3rd line in part requires the team to use guys like Hertl and Couture extensively on the PK when that is wearing them out over the season. If they can finally get themselves a legitimate 4C that pushes Goodrow to the wing and adds another PK'er to at least get one of Couture or Hertl off the PK rotation, that would be ideal. It's still a problem that the other will be there and I don't know how you address that without moving on from one of Thornton or Labanc or Sorensen but all options have to be considered.

That playing couture/hertl/burns/karlsson (if he stays) on the pk is going to happen no matter what because they are good enough defensively but can also push the offense when needed on the pk.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Like Seto said, he'll have the offseason to train instead of having to rehab and deal with an infected knee. He'll wait until the team is constructed, take a team-friendly deal, and will be a solid player for yet another year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That playing couture/hertl/burns/karlsson (if he stays) on the pk is going to happen no matter what because they are good enough defensively but can also push the offense when needed on the pk.

Except it doesn't have to happen no matter what because the entire point of having depth players is the understanding that they're not good enough offensively for the more offensively advantageous situations so get them to be good enough defensively to take those hard minutes off the best players' hands. Playing them in those spots wears them out over the long haul. Having depth players in the spots that Dillon and Ryan/Simek on the blue line and the bottom six up front be capable PK players has an immense amount of long term benefits. The entire reason why Pavelski's career has lasted at this level for this long is because his PK duties were dramatically reduced when DeBoer came on board.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Only in shark land will people think a 50 point 3rd line center playing 14 minutes a game should be demoted and or retire because he can't live up to his past self.

Particularly one who mentors the rookies on the team and visibly gets them to play better.

Particularly one who demanded the team come back and score for Pavs.

Particularly one who everyone worships, sees as a mentor, sees as a guide... etc.

It’s crazy talk. I’d welcome Joe back with open arms.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Except it doesn't have to happen no matter what because the entire point of having depth players is the understanding that they're not good enough offensively for the more offensively advantageous situations so get them to be good enough defensively to take those hard minutes off the best players' hands. Playing them in those spots wears them out over the long haul. Having depth players in the spots that Dillon and Ryan/Simek on the blue line and the bottom six up front be capable PK players has an immense amount of long term benefits. The entire reason why Pavelski's career has lasted at this level for this long is because his PK duties were dramatically reduced when DeBoer came on board.

Except that goes against what every good coach does in the league. Every one says boston is a top team and there ice time on the pk matches with the sharks ice time on the pk.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except that goes against what every good coach does in the league. Every one says boston is a top team and there ice time on the pk matches with the sharks ice time on the pk.

Well, one what works for others doesn't necessarily work for us. Secondly, Boston doesn't ask both their top two centermen to kill penalties. Krejci doesn't kill penalties. Also, Bergeron was dropped down the PK depth chart in the playoffs this year. You also don't see their top d-man producers Krug and McAvoy killing penalties there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad