Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton re-signs to 1 year deal 5 million AAV

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think Rick Nash is "broken" (health wise). IF he's fully healthy AND he's got the mental fortitude to go through another season, WHEN and IF he decides to play again, only THEN should Jumbo make the call.

He voluntarily bowed out of July 1 feeding frenzy. Sounds like his body is telling him it's not (yet or ever) ready for another season of play.

He's had a few concussions as well, and that may have really mucked up the mind.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I'm okay with it though I preferred around 4m like fistfullofbeer.

The NMC clause is a worthless throw in, imo.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Out of curiosity, what is the minimum points that Jumbo has to produce to make this worthwhile? I'm fine with 40 points depending on where he plays but I have a couple friends who think this is a massive overpayment. I think they're f***in nuts because I think if healthy he can probably put up 50 to 60 filling a 2nd line center mans role with the wingers this team has.

Reactions: Phu

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Out of curiosity, what is the minimum points that Jumbo has to produce to make this worthwhile? I'm fine with 40 points depending on where he plays but I have a couple friends who think this is a massive overpayment. I think they're ****in nuts because I think if healthy he can probably put up 50 to 60 filling a 2nd line center mans role with the wingers this team has.
I think it's a good show off respect and I'll be happy if he can contribute in the top 9. But he's also how Joe Thornton so I'm expecting at least 10g, 40a.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Out of curiosity, what is the minimum points that Jumbo has to produce to make this worthwhile? I'm fine with 40 points depending on where he plays but I have a couple friends who think this is a massive overpayment. I think they're ****in nuts because I think if healthy he can probably put up 50 to 60 filling a 2nd line center mans role with the wingers this team has.

Your friends are f***in nuts. There is no reason not to give Thornton the benefit of the doubt after what he’s done for his entire career.

I’m expecting at least 60 points next year but tbh, I have this sneaking suspicion that now that he’s well rested, he taps into the fountain of youth one last time and gives us one last season as an elite superstar #1C.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Your friends are ****in nuts. There is no reason not to give Thornton the benefit of the doubt after what he’s done for his entire career.

I’m expecting at least 60 points next year but tbh, I have this sneaking suspicion that now that he’s well rested, he taps into the fountain of youth one last time and gives us one last season as an elite superstar #1C.
That would be so fun. I remember when I was a kid seeing old guys win their first cup and how much the hockey world rooted them on. Bourque and I think Dave Andreychuk?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Your friends are ****in nuts. There is no reason not to give Thornton the benefit of the doubt after what he’s done for his entire career.

Well 60pts is not a elite superstar 1C, but i get your point. certainly no reason not to think he will rebound back to form.

I see him 50-60. 60+ would be amazing though.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well 60pts is not a elite superstar 1C, but i get your point. certainly no reason not to think he will rebound back to form.

I see him 50-60. 60+ would be amazing though.

Yeah, the 60 point Thornton that I am realistically expecting, and the 80 point Thornton that I am dreaming of are two different players. The 2017-2018 pre-injury Thornton is the one that I am really expecting; the 2015-2016 Thornton is the one that appears in my dream.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, the 60 point Thornton that I am realistically expecting, and the 80 point Thornton that I am dreaming of are two different players. The 2017-2018 pre-injury Thornton is the one that I am really expecting; the 2015-2016 Thornton is the one that appears in my dream.
given your username, i'd imagine a 3rd Thornton is one that appears in your dream :laugh::help:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Joe Thornton is an elite superstar 1C. It's just that he's in the twilight of his career.

One measure I use for elite 1Cs is how many 100+ points seasons, plus how many times they knocked on the door (90+) in their career.

Jumbo has two 100+ seasons, plus knocked on the door twice.
H. Sedin has one 100+ season, plus knocked on the door once.
Stamkos has no 100+ season, but knocked on that door three times, one very strongly.
McDavid has two 100+ seasons out of three.
Crosby has 5 100+ seasons, and apparently he never knocks, just kicks the door open.
Malkin has 3 100+ seasons, and one knock.

Note that a Young Mackinnon has knocked strongly on that door this past season.

Constrast that to these guys that don't have 100+ seasons, and never knocked:
Jonathan Toews
John Tavares

Sure glad we didn't pay Tavares a long term contract at 13m+ AAV. But I got to say this. When Marleau bolted to the Leafs, and DW said his decision was not money, I wondered.

When Tavares refused to agree to any contract term on a trade this past season, I thought okay, he wants the money. But when he accepted the low-ball offer, I cannot help but wonder if tampering and collusion was instigated by the Leafs. Both for Tavares and Marleau.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Joe Thornton is an elite superstar 1C. It's just that he's in the twilight of his career.

One measure I use for elite 1Cs is how many 100+ points seasons, plus how many times they knocked on the door (90+) in their career.

Jumbo has two 100+ seasons, plus knocked on the door twice.
H. Sedin has one 100+ season, plus knocked on the door once.
Stamkos has no 100+ season, but knocked on that door three times, one very strongly.
McDavid has two 100+ seasons out of three.
Crosby has 5 100+ seasons, and apparently he never knocks, just kicks the door open.
Malkin has 3 100+ seasons, and one knock.

Note that a Young Mackinnon has knocked strongly on that door this past season.

Constrast that to these guys that don't have 100+ seasons, and never knocked:
Jonathan Toews
John Tavares

Sure glad we didn't pay Tavares a long term contract at 13m+ AAV. But I got to say this. When Marleau bolted to the Leafs, and DW said his decision was not money, I wondered.

When Tavares refused to agree to any contract term on a trade this past season, I thought okay, he wants the money. But when he accepted the low-ball offer, I cannot help but wonder if tampering and collusion was instigated by the Leafs. Both for Tavares and Marleau.

Thornton used to be an elite 1C. While he could still be a solid player, he is nowhere near an elite 1C now. Using a 100+ point total from over 10 seasons ago is silly. Yes, he was a point per game player a few years ago, but I think that was a fluke.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Thornton has 973 points in 961 games and a +172 as a Shark in 13 years. Pretty impressive to average over a PPG considering 8 of those 13 season was in his 30's.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
If he recovers from his injury I expect him to have his most productive season in the latter of his career, the guy will have 9 months of rest and will be playing with Kane and Meier.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If he recovers from his injury I expect him to have his most productive season in the latter of his career, the guy will have 9 months of rest and will be playing with Kane and Meier.

So 90 points? Yeah that is not happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad