Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton re-signs to 1 year deal 5 million AAV

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Joe Thornton is an elite superstar 1C. It's just that he's in the twilight of his career.

One measure I use for elite 1Cs is how many 100+ points seasons, plus how many times they knocked on the door (90+) in their career.

Jumbo has two 100+ seasons, plus knocked on the door twice.
H. Sedin has one 100+ season, plus knocked on the door once.
Stamkos has no 100+ season, but knocked on that door three times, one very strongly.
McDavid has two 100+ seasons out of three.
Crosby has 5 100+ seasons, and apparently he never knocks, just kicks the door open.
Malkin has 3 100+ seasons, and one knock.

Note that a Young Mackinnon has knocked strongly on that door this past season.

Constrast that to these guys that don't have 100+ seasons, and never knocked:
Jonathan Toews
John Tavares

Sure glad we didn't pay Tavares a long term contract at 13m+ AAV. But I got to say this. When Marleau bolted to the Leafs, and DW said his decision was not money, I wondered.

When Tavares refused to agree to any contract term on a trade this past season, I thought okay, he wants the money. But when he accepted the low-ball offer, I cannot help but wonder if tampering and collusion was instigated by the Leafs. Both for Tavares and Marleau.

He was an elite superstar 1c, no doubt. Just not anymore, which is totally fine. He is just older and slower in a game that thrives on youth and speed. We also dont know much about how he'll look after this other knee surgery. To call him and elite superstar is homerism at its finest.

Also, tampering??? give me a break. Have you even listened to anything Tavares said during interviews? He wanted to go to the leafs all along. His priority was stay with the Islanders, but he said something along the lines of "if i left the only home i know in the NHL, the only place i would go is back home (to toronto)." It's not a surprise he signed with Toronto at all. Since you're opening this can, what kind of tampering do you think happened?

He got 82 after missing the playoffs, I don't see why it would be far fetched with almost a year of rest.

Because that was 3 years and 2 major knee surgeries ago.......

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
What are you hoping for this summer?

I'd like to see him back for one more year at around $2m in a 3rd line role.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I think it depends on the roster (mainly Pavs/EK65 returning).

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The problem with resigning Jumbo is his speed which wasn't good for type of game needed in the playoffs. As the playoffs moved to higher rounds, Jumbo's lack of speed was becoming apparent. It was like having 4 guys for defense rather than 5 at times.

With that said, Jumbo far exceeded my expectations in the regular season and definitely in the 1st round. Probably everyone else's as well.

Should DW bring him back for next season? I don't know at this point. It will probably be wise to see what DW does with other players and acquisitions. Sharks need more speed that can shoot.

If DW can put together two such lines, then definitely bring Jumbo back. That will take pressure off him by forcing more favorable matchups.

In the end, PDB couldn't match lines well against opponents, maybe was incapable of, or some of both.

Sharks need as I see it are:

1- A legitmate 1C or 2C,
2- Scoring winger with speed,
3- Backup goaltender that can be a starter.
4- A PP system that is worthy of the playoffs.

Why no defense on that list? Well, putting aside the UFA status of EK65, losing a legitimate top pairing (EK), and a 2nd pairing defenseman (Simek) is tough for any team. If those two were healthy, Sharks would be playing in the SCF now.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I want him back. He was almost a PPG player the 2nd half of the season and was solid in the playoffs. I think the problem is people can't stop thinking of him as being a primary producer but he shouldn't be relied on for that. He is a high end 3rd liner now and at his worst is a low end 3rd liner. Sign him for another year at 2-3M.

Reactions: Phu

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Is it the worst idea in the world to put Jumbo and Gambrell, for instance, in a planned 60/20 time share? Keep Jumbo out of one half of back-to-backs and scratching him during other tight portions of the schedule? This also allows Gambrell actual preparation for NHL games, something he hasn't really had the luxury of thus far in his career and allows Jumbo to stay fresh and recover.

A few issues with that: The biggest being Jumbo would have to sign off on it and I doubt he's trying to end his career has a healthy scratch for a 1/4th of the season. Does it make cap sense paying someone $2-3m knowing they're only playing three quarters of a season? Does swapping the two in and out of the lineup mess with the chemistry too much - especially on Jumbo's PP unit.

Finally, would something like this even a benefit to Jumbo's game? Up until late in the playoffs, it didn't seem as if fatigue had really effected him anyway.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Lebanc and Sorensen did great with him. They just failed at even strength in the playoffs. Then again that applies to almost everyone not named Burns/Couture/Hertl.

Sorensen is too inconsistent to be a reliable 3rd liner. I feel Labanc will get there but it takes him a bit to find his way in new situations. This was only his second playoff run as a 23 year old. There's room for him to grow and be consistent in the playoffs. The problem is that having a Thornton/Labanc 3rd line pairing puts undue strain on top six guys to kill penalties. I think I'd prefer to move away from the 3rd line entirely than give it another go because of that. I don't think their production warrants it when our special teams needs a coaching change and a personnel rearrangement.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Let Joe go chase the record books/cup elsewhere.
The lockeroom/oraganization needs a culture change and in the locker room that starts with Joe

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Lebanc and Sorensen did great with him. They just failed at even strength in the playoffs. Then again that applies to almost everyone not named Burns/Couture/Hertl.

This tends to happen with Thornton's linemates. They expect him to play like his RS self, he doesn't, and everyone suffers for it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This tends to happen with Thornton's linemates. They expect him to play like his RS self, he doesn't, and everyone suffers for it.

The only thing thornton changed this year in the playoffs was his shooting. What other parts of his game did he change?

Reactions: Phu

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
He's a very competent, if slow, 3rd line C. He had 16 goals this year, and played mostly responsibly defensively. 2M would be a bargain!

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Joe definitely ran out of gas in the playoffs. I also think he got too cute when he did have the puck against the Blues. He would wait too long for someone to get in front of the net. I thought he should've tried the wrap around or take it to the net. Maybe his legs just weren't there, but as an A, I thought he should've led the effort to stop doing more of the same.

That said, I think he may have one more year in him and I'd welcome him back. Of course, there are variables. If PDB comes back with the same system, then it might be best for Joe to look elsewhere. Same if EK65 and Pavs are not back.

If Joe is part of next season's plans, I hope those plans also include:
1. A system that maximizes his vision.
I think Joe's vision and passing are still there, even if he can't box out defenders as well. Churning him down low shift after shift probably isn't the best idea. I'd like them to diversify the offense or at least adjust more often. At times against the Blues, they had some success using a high triangle or having a defenseman carry the puck deep. When their tactics put the D on their heels, Joe had no issue finding the soft spots to keep the puck moving.​

2. More diversity in the bottom 6 and depth chart.
If Joe is anchoring the bottom 6, I'd like to see them develop different combinations that complement his capabilities and help them match up against different opponents. They have skill options in Labanc and Chmelevski. Some speed/defense in Gambrell and Sorensen. More defense in Goodrow and Melker. I think they could also use some heavyweights for when they go against bigger D units. Let those guys muscle it out in the slot, so Joe has better targets. Whoever's not good enough to be on Joe's line should still be good for exploiting the mismatch of the day. Having some variety there might also give Joe some days off.​

TexasShark

Jul 21, 2006
Let him sit out until just before the TDL next year, bring him in then if there is a need and he is healthy. He can spend the time skating and getting healthy. If he looks like he can go and the team looks like they will compete again then make him a cheap add at the deadline and play him enough to be eligible to get his name on the cup. Nothing HAS to be decided immediately (despite what the media insist on), he can just wait it out until he is ready and/or we have a need.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Funny thing is. Thornton outscored the blues 2nd line center, 3rd line center and also 4th line center.

Even when thornton plays a diminished role on this team at the age of 39 nearly 40 years old. He is still expected to dominate like he was in his 20's.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Any chance he’d consider doing what Mike Fisher did last year and sign late in the year so he is fresh for his one last ride? If we re-sign EK65, I think that may be the best course for a 40 year old. I believe Fisher signed for 1MM as well.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I don't have an issue with bringing him back but he should play way less games and way less minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad