Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton re-signs to 1 year deal 5 million AAV

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Figured it would be 4M but 5M is good. Chance is that whoever we acquire will be via trade and will not impact the cap as much at the Tavares signing would have. Also, Jumbo is most likely gone after this year anyway. Hoping DW works some magic and gives Jumbo all he can for a final cup run.

As long as he can still play, I'd be happy if he kept stringing along 1 yr deals like Jagr. Blocks a C prospect from laying claim to a bottom 6 position but oh well, as long as Jumbo can play, that's fine with me.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Does that matter or does improving the team matter? DW is always going to keep trying. The goal isn't to spend to the cap.
It just means not trading for Kopitar, Toews, Kane, McDavid, or anyone else making over $10 million (shocker). So yeah, the OP really makes no sense. Any acquisition will fit under the current cap with the loss of a roster player and/or acquiring a player on an expiring deal that will get a raise the following year.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Eh don't really care. Maybe was hoping for $4m, but this is fine. I'm not sure what direction makes sense for us right now. Whether we sell the farm for Seguin or Karlsson, or just stand pat.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I assume that it's all signing bonus and salary and no performance bonus money. If so, they have 15.6 million to re-sign Hertl and Tierney, bring in a d-man, and a bring in a forward. If there's a trade to be made, it ought to be for a d-man but it won't be someone like Karlsson. I hope it's for a d-man in Carolina.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Sharks really only need 1 winger and they are set IMO. They could still have Jumbo as their #3 center, even without Tavares. Just keep Pavelski at center. They just need a winger to go with Couture and Hertl on the 2nd line. Skinner would be nice. And they would still have enough cap room to add a Dman if they wanted to.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I assume that it's all signing bonus and salary and no performance bonus money. If so, they have 15.6 million to re-sign Hertl and Tierney, bring in a d-man, and a bring in a forward. If there's a trade to be made, it ought to be for a d-man but it won't be someone like Karlsson. I hope it's for a d-man in Carolina.
This was my expectation at the end of last season. We don't need a Tavares or Karlsson to make a cup run. I mean they would be nice for sure but what we need is a top-4 D-man who can move the puck and work on the right side with Vlasic. A top-6 forward to pair with Couture and Hertl. If jumbo is legitimately our 3C then we have more forward depth than pretty much any team in the league.

My biggest concern at this point is still that we roll with Jumbo-Pavs on a line.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Sharks really only need 1 winger and they are set IMO. They could still have Jumbo as their #3 center, even without Tavares. Just keep Pavelski at center. They just need a winger to go with Couture and Hertl on the 2nd line. Skinner would be nice. And they would still have enough cap room to add a Dman if they wanted to.
JOE PAVELSKI IS NOT A CENTER ON A STANLEY CUP CONTENDER! I am tired of seeing people suggest this as an option when Deboer clearly said it is not an option on breakup day when he told everyone that he was playing out of position after the Thornton injury.

Reactions: Herschel

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This was my expectation at the end of last season. We don't need a Tavares or Karlsson to make a cup run. I mean they would be nice for sure but what we need is a top-4 D-man who can move the puck and work on the right side with Vlasic. A top-6 forward to pair with Couture and Hertl. If jumbo is legitimately our 3C then we have more forward depth than pretty much any team in the league.

My biggest concern at this point is still that we roll with Jumbo-Pavs on a line.

I suspect that the forward they bring in will either be a UFA 4C like a Matt Stajan or a Torrey Mitchell or just using the guys that they have internally for the spot. At this point, I'd rather give the young wingers like Meier and Labanc more of an opportunity next season and if they fail to solidify a top-nine role at evens then look to rent a winger at the deadline. As for the d-man, at this point I really don't care which side they play on but I'd prefer Justin Faulk at this stage among the realistic options available.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I was hoping for Mitchell as the 4C before he went to LA. He isn't really good at anything, but he's adequate and a good locker-room guy.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
upload_2018-7-2_13-59-41.jpeg

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I wonder if DW and Jumbo have had a conversation about Jumbo calling up his old Davos teammate to see if he would be interested in trying out teal for a season. Just sort of seems like the kind of thing that would improve the team without committing any long-term money. Obviously, a big part would be if Nash wants to play another season.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wonder if DW and Jumbo have had a conversation about Jumbo calling up his old Davos teammate to see if he would be interested in trying out teal for a season. Just sort of seems like the kind of thing that would improve the team without committing any long-term money. Obviously, a big part would be if Nash wants to play another season.

Please no to Rick Nash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad