Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Is Sakic a wizard or is he a wizard?

Joe Sakic right now.

tNQ.gif

Reactions: Linds and MarkT

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Sometimes his patience drives me crazy. (Although it's been working.. )

We need go all-in from next season. No more hiding behind the bush.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Seriously, He's my idol. I became an Habs when we grabbed Jocelyn Thibault and still a fan of both team. I quit the team when he leaves. Now that Bergevin and habs management is just awful and it will be the same for years to come because they consider them like cup contender, which is surely not the case. So because Sakic's mangement is exactly what could lead the team to another dynastie, Im back with you guys.

Give me some love!

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Seriously, He's my idol. I became an Habs when we grabbed Jocelyn Thibault and still a fan of both team. I quit the team when he leaves. Now that Bergevin and habs management is just awful and it will be the same for years to come because they consider them like cup contender, which is surely not the case. So because Sakic's mangement is exactly what could lead the team to another dynastie, Im back with you guys.

Give me some love!
Bandwagoner.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Linds and bleuetbio

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

Give me some love!

tumblr_oto8mrdXub1u1ljrzo1_540.gifv

I'm a Habs fan too but life is much better with the Avs as your number one team and the Habs as your second.

Reactions: bleuetbio

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Since the Panthers/Gallant was mentioned, I thought I'd chime in as a Panthers fan.

I think Gallant is a great head coach. But if you read in between the lines on his firing in Florida and Vegas, it seems pretty clear to me that he might have issues with how he cooperates with upper management. At the time he was fired in Florida, all of the team's management was going crazy for analytics. And Gallant seemed to be very resistant to implementing the changes that the analytics suggested. That seems to be the primary reason he was fired and Rowe was implemented as a figurehead who would do what the analytics team said.

Again, I think he's a great coach. I don't know your team well enough to understand the intricacies of your team management. But if they have any above average interest in analytics, or you have management that likes to have a lot of control over the coach... there's a good chance that bringing in Gallant will create a lot of friction. He wore out his welcome very quickly in Vegas for what I would assume to be similar reasons. Ask yourself why he got fired in Vegas so shortly after taking their team all the way to the Cup final in their first season. That should buy you a boatload of goodwill with the upper management, right? He is a great, but stubborn coach who doesn't like to be told what to do.

Right before I stumbled in your post, the one thought that ran through my mind was that they were overlooking Sakic’s relationship with Bednar. Remember, Sakic hired JB after doing his due diligence. Along with MacFarland and Hepple they as a management team are very wedded to the type of fast, physical, transition, high skill hockey game and it’s reflected in careful building of the team, the organization and it’s mindset up and down. If for nothing else, Sakic has been very deliberate in his drafting about how to build the team since Roy’s departure.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Sakic deserved to have his ass kicked in 2016, even before the dreaded 16-17 season... i guess the fact the Kroenkes couldn't care less about their hockey team ended up working well for us.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
We ended the playoff run a year ago with a roster looking something like this.

Landeskog - Mack - Rantanen
Kerfoot - Soderberg - Wilson
Compher - Jost - Nieto
Andrighetto - Bourque - Calvert

Barrie - EJ
Zadorov - Makar
Cole - Girard

Look at what Joe Sakic has done in two off- seasons.

Landeskog - MacK - Rantanen
Saad - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Compher - Donskoi
Calvert - Bellemare - LOC

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Timmins/Cole

Last edited:

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO

Compher - Jost - Nieto

Barrie - EJ
Zadorov - Makar
Cole - Girard

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Timmins/Cole
Amazing. Kept every 1st round pick in doing this.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Compher - Jost - Nieto

Barrie - EJ
Zadorov - Makar
Cole - Girard

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Timmins/Cole
And not only are we not in salary cap trouble, we victimized a couple teams who were desperate for cap relief along the way.

Reactions: MarkT

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Compher - Jost - Nieto

Barrie - EJ
Zadorov - Makar
Cole - Girard

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Timmins/Cole
No Byram?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Compher - Jost - Nieto

Barrie - EJ
Zadorov - Makar
Cole - Girard

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Timmins/Cole

Its amazing how much the roster has improved.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The Saad and Toews deals pushed me over the edge. I've finally changed by vote to 5.

I am also instituting a new tradition. Every offseason, I will use this as my avatar. I suggest you all do the same.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Thanks for the continually updated first post Foppa2118. It's fascinating I have a suggestion for it: Create a break indicating the moment Patrick Roy left as coach and VP, so it's easy to see what moves Sakic made as the solo head of hockey operations. Maybe color code the post-Roy transactions or something to that effect. Been really interested to dig into just how much separating from Roy helped Sakic evolve into the incredible GM he's become. Not that Sakic bore no responsibility for the many questionable moves that occurred when Roy was part of the organization, but it seems like there have been very few really bad decisions since Roy left, and a lot of great ones.

Reactions: Foppa2118 and MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad