Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part III (Updates in First Post)

How would you rate the job Joe Sakic has done to date as Avalanche GM? (editable)

• Total voters

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll never argue that Holden is a better one-on-one defenseman than Zadorov, but Holden seems to thrive in a system better than Zadorov ever has. (And as an aside, I think Z's recent poor play made me forget about his great single-target shutdown ability.) I have to disagree with letting him loose in the D zone because that directly led to a goal against in game 1 of the Dallas series. Z goes for the hit, loses his man, and then the puck is in the back of the net; this isn't an uncommon occurrence, but it is keyed in on more during the playoffs.

This discussion has evolved into a discussion about Zadorov and Nick Holden, and I'm not particularly enthusiastic about either player, so I'm going to bow out after this reply. I do appreciate the candid discussion, though, despite our differences in opinion.

Fair enough, I enjoyed the discussion, but we're definitely off-topic. :laugh:

Let's get back ON topic...Joe Sakic's done a great job thus far as GM, but it's clear in this series that he has a bit of work to do yet.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Fair enough, I enjoyed the discussion, but we're definitely off-topic. :laugh:

Let's get back ON topic...Joe Sakic's done a great job thus far as GM, but it's clear in this series that he has a bit of work to do yet.

Did you give him a 5? I haven't changed my mind from 4 to 5 quite yet.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Still reluctant to do so, but now I'm not sure I'd give any GM a 5 at present.

I think if he makes the right moves this off-season I'll change it myself. As long as he fills the holes, and does it without stupid contracts I think it will be time.

Yeah I have seen your take on GMs lately lol. I've played fantasy hockey against better GMs than some of these guys.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Offseason game plan for Sakic should be...

- 3C
- 2/3 D
- 1G

Before the playoffs I would have said just a 3C and maybe a middle six winger, but I don't think they can take a risk on the D core and goaltending as is. Joe needs to make a bold move or two to ensure this years problems don't happen again.

Still with the draft to deal with too. Joe is gonna have a busy offseason.

Reactions: Metallo

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So...if Sakic makes no real big trades, signs the important RFAs, and the players we expect to leave indeed leave, then we're left with...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Kadri - Donskoi
Nichushkin - Bowers - Kaut
Calvert - Bellemare - O'Connor
Compher

Graves - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Byram - Timmins
Cole

Grubauer
Francouz

That's still a pretty good team. Still plenty of cap room, if they so choose, to snag a big-ticket player via trade or free agency.

Whatever the case the organization is in very good shape going forward. More questions came up unfortunately, especially with the goalies and Timmins, so I'm not sure how Sakic approaches that. He'll also have to contend with the expansion draft, but that ain't a huge deal.

Reactions: Iceberg and McMetal

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
So...if Sakic makes no real big trades, signs the important RFAs, and the players we expect to leave indeed leave, then we're left with...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Kadri - Donskoi
Nichushkin - Bowers - Kaut
Calvert - Bellemare - O'Connor
Compher

Graves - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Byram - Timmins
Cole

Grubauer
Francouz

That's still a pretty good team. Still plenty of cap room, if they so choose, to snag a big-ticket player via trade or free agency.

Whatever the case the organization is in very good shape going forward. More questions came up unfortunately, especially with the goalies and Timmins, so I'm not sure how Sakic approaches that. He'll also have to contend with the expansion draft, but that ain't a huge deal.
Bowers needs another year in the AHL. If he was more ready he would have been given some games this season just like Kaut did.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
All Sakic had to do was make the Avs hold a lead for 3.5 minutes, or prevent his goalies from getting hurt and he would have earned a GM of the year nominee!
I'm absolutely disgusted that he didn't even make the top 3 nomination

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm absolutely disgusted that he didn't even make the top 3 nomination

I'm not that worried about it, and I would bet Joe literally doesn't care at all, but it's a complete joke.

They're clearly just basing it off which teams made the conference finals. That's just pure laziness by whoever voted.

What's the point of purely basing the GM award on the teams that made it the deepest in the playoffs? That's what the Prince of Whales, Clarence Campbell, and Stanley Cup trophies are awarded for.

Reactions: Nihiliste and Linds

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Offseason game plan for Sakic should be...

- 3C
- 2/3 D
- 1G

Before the playoffs I would have said just a 3C and maybe a middle six winger, but I don't think they can take a risk on the D core and goaltending as is. Joe needs to make a bold move or two to ensure this years problems don't happen again.

Still with the draft to deal with too. Joe is gonna have a busy offseason.

Just can't stop thinking about how perfect Danault & Petry would be.

After the comments from Sakic I am fine with not going after a goalie. If it proves to be an issue, make a move at the TDL for the long or short term. Goalies are a short term move anyway as you don't want a huge contract with a long term commitment unless it is one of the rare high end guys like Gibson.

Defense, especially really good defenders are a bitch to get in season. Not impossible, but that would be the hardest thing to fix in season IMO. I'm aware 5/6 guys can be had, but a #4 especially a right handed guy is a whole different task I think.

Sakic stays at a #4 for me personally. Another year betting on players to provide stability at center that had no previous track record of doing so, and it costing us in the playoffs. If I was really being hard on it I'd down grade it to a three.

One year it was the #2C slot, the next the #3C. f***ing fix that shit by the TDL next year at the latest, but it contributed to another early exit IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Yeah I think we need a top 4 RHD, a good 3C, and a 2W. Donskoi/Nuke should be starting on the 3rd line. With injuries they’ll be up on the 2nd in no time anyways. Compher should be bumped to 4RW to start the season or traded, Jost 13th or traded.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There's been some sporadic rumors about the Avs interest in Murray, but Joe sounds content with going with Grubauer/Frank again next season.

For whatever reason he seems to believe they both had flukey injuries, so I'm ok with that I guess, though it makes me real nervous. I thought both were a little up and down during the regular season, even when they were healthy. Add on top the injury issues, and it makes me even more nervous.

This is one of those decisions where Joe will be praised for not giving up assets and keeping the cap hit low by keeping Grubauer/Frank if they play well, but if they run into similar problems in the playoffs again, he's going to take all the blame.

Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
There's been some sporadic rumors about the Avs interest in Murray, but Joe seems content with going with Grubauer/Frank again next season.

For whatever reason he seems to believe they both had flukey injuries, so I'm ok with that I guess, though it makes me real nervous. I thought both were a little up and down during the regular season, even when they were healthy. Add on top the injury issues, and it makes me even more nervous.

This is one of those decisions where Joe will be praised for not giving up assets and keeping the cap hit low by keeping Grubauer/Frank if they play well, but if they run into similar problems in the playoffs again, he's going to take all the blame.

I think the Avs duo will ultimately provide above average goaltending again this upcoming season. But if one (or both) goalies get hurt again in the post-season, or the goaltending in someway leads to Colorado's demise next season, fans are going to be sharpening the guillotine.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Again, this way Sakic doesn't have to spend picks and/or cap on Goalies waiting and seeing AND if they are that bad he can make a move at the deadline.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
They probably were going to make the cup finals if they had stayed healthy, at least if Grubauer had not been injured.

One of the best GMs in the game for a few years straight. I would be very surprised if Mack/Makar don't win it at least once.

Outside the trades, probably the most impressive thing has been Sakic's patience and comitment to build for the future. Most GMs would have already traded a bunch of assets on win-now moves shortening the contention window.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Something I just noticed. Joe likes his 19 team NTC's, that list 19 teams a player can be traded to. He's given one to Nate, Landy, and EJ.

Wonder why he likes that number? :naughty:

jaems

Apr 16, 2006

As he should. They had months of rest between the season stopping and start of the bubble, and somehow neither could last a handful of games? Give me a break. This is on top of getting injured in the regular season.

Grubauer might not have the body of someone who can handle a starting role if his lower body issues are going to be recurring issues. Even if Francouz is healthy, he's not shown he's reliable enough to be starter caliber on a true contender in the playoffs.

If we're in a similar position next playoffs where Grubauer can't play all the games and Francouz is incapable of having a save percentage that's above .910, I don't want a single person saying hindsight was 20/20.

Reactions: Grigowski

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
As he should. They had months of rest between the season stopping and start of the bubble, and somehow neither could last a handful of games? Give me a break. This is on top of getting injured in the regular season.

Grubauer might not have the body of someone who can handle a starting role if his lower body issues are going to be recurring issues. Even if Francouz is healthy, he's not shown he's reliable enough to be starter caliber on a true contender in the playoffs.

If we're in a similar position next playoffs where Grubauer can't play all the games and Francouz is incapable of having a save percentage that's above .910, I don't want a single person saying hindsight was 20/20.

Thank You.

First thing to do for Joe: Tell the players they better be prepared for upcoming season (especially the injury-proned). These injuries aren´t just "bad luck" or coming out of nowhere... They had nearly 6 month to revover and prepare for the "Bubble-Playoffs" and our players still continued to fall like flies. That´s unacceptable. Second: Have a good look at our medical staff.

If Joe wants to got with Grubauer/Francouz, ok. I really hope the moment one of them comes up with "groin or hip-problems", Sakic better be on the phone avoiding another disaster like this year. The goalie-market this off-season is insane and I´d raher prefer to grab a starter next week for a resaonable price or for free than to pay a hefty price during the season. I don´t have a good feeling about our current tandem, yet if Grubauer is healthy by start of the next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad