Joe Colborne is Really Tall

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
He's absolutely unstoppable when he gets his feet moving, he'll beat any defender on the outside like that. It would've been nice to see him score a goal like that, something like what Lombardi used to do in a Flames jersey. He definitely has the hands and reach for those types of goals.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How has he been since he has been back?

He's been good since his return. Took him a few games to shake off some cobwebs and get adjusted, but I love his game.

His net presence has been pretty decent and he is an absolute handful down low still. Still thanking the Leafs for that gimme.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's really upped his physical game as well. Colborne was always known for being more of a finesse player. But he's really bulked up over the last year and he's actually been throwing his body around, which I would say is a new element he's added to his game. We started to first see this last year when he was moved to wing, this season no matter where he's been playing he's really been using his size to his advantage much more.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I've a question about Colborne. The way he's playing this year (and most recently), with which NHL player can you compare him? And what is his potential right now? Top 6, Top 9, Bottom 6?

Thank you guys!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I've a question about Colborne. The way he's playing this year (and most recently), with which NHL player can you compare him? And what is his potential right now? Top 6, Top 9, Bottom 6?

Thank you guys!

As a center, he's often been compared to a poor, POOR mans Joe Thornton. As a RW, I'd say a Bertuzzi type isn't a terrible comparison. His ceiling is probably around 50-55 points.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Thank you guys!

He's been an okay bottom six guy. Still can't play centre effectly (doesn't have the awareness for it), but he looks serviceable on the wing.

I'd say his potential is slightly more okay bottom six winger. I don't think he'll ever drive play, and I think this season will be his offensive peak, but he's not a waste of a roster slot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Comparables? There's only one Joe Colborne. :sarcasm:

Honestly the best style comparison I can think of is Yamma Yagga. Obviously on a lower level.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Safe to say he won't be a top line F. But he should have enough skill and hopefully enough to the rest of his game to develop as a strong middle-6 winger.

At 52.8% on the faceoff dot, I think the goal is to get him down the middle for our third line at some point of time. He's really good on the dot, he's a big bodied player who just needs to work some on that defensive game/awareness to be the perfect middle 6 center. Having him on the wing isn't the worst thing in the world either; he activates a lot better driving the wing and is much more physical along the boards.

His ceiling is a good middle sixer, either a good second line winger, or an excellent third line center/wing; it's good having versatility like this in your lineup.

I think the only issue we have right now, is our lineup is kind of all over the place. We seem to have two third lines, no real forth line and a good first line :laugh: Kind of interested to see where the dominoes will fall in the offseason.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Well, he was tall tonight. A bit too tall, and had bad stick placement when he hit - you gotta keep your arms down.

And what the what was up with our PP?

flamesforcup*

he is going to get a hat trick in game 5 and make everyone forget about his penalty......

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
He made a big mistake but i am really happy with what he has shown in the playoffs. I wasn't sure he would be a future piece with this team but he has shown he can play with the big boys. If he keeps getting bigger and stronger and keeps his physical game going i really like what he could become.

gaudreau - monahan - XXXXX
ferland - bennett - poirier
bouma - backlund - colborne

i like where that top 9 could go in a couple years, i don't want to get too in depth because there's a lot of variables but maybe there's a spot for colborne here long term.

flamesforcup*

He made a big mistake but i am really happy with what he has shown in the playoffs. I wasn't sure he would be a future piece with this team but he has shown he can play with the big boys. If he keeps getting bigger and stronger and keeps his physical game going i really like what he could become.

gaudreau - monahan - XXXXX
ferland - bennett - poirier
bouma - backlund - colborne

i like where that top 9 could go in a couple years, i don't want to get too in depth because there's a lot of variables but maybe there's a spot for colborne here long term.

really hope we draft travis koneckny this year who is a right handed RW and i think that will be the last piece for our forward core (we are missing a good RH rw) then we can focus on defense.
ps u forgot about klimchuk

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
really hope we draft travis koneckny this year who is a right handed RW and i think that will be the last piece for our forward core (we are missing a good RH rw) then we can focus on defense.
ps u forgot about klimchuk

Really glad it didn't take long for someone to mention Klimmer. Flames have a few different options that could find a place in the top 9 as well.
It's certainly what they drafted Hunter Smith for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad