Joe Colborne is Really Tall

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
really hope we draft travis koneckny this year who is a right handed RW and i think that will be the last piece for our forward core (we are missing a good RH rw) then we can focus on defense.
ps u forgot about klimchuk

I thought of klimchuk when i was making this i just think klimchuk is gonna need a bit of time in the AHL, i still don't know what he's gonna become. I've been high on his upside for a while but injuries and his more of a laid back more 2-way game style makes me wonder how good he's gonna be. i could see him anywhere on the wings in that lineup that's why it's hard to predict these lineups down the road.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He made a big mistake but i am really happy with what he has shown in the playoffs. I wasn't sure he would be a future piece with this team but he has shown he can play with the big boys. If he keeps getting bigger and stronger and keeps his physical game going i really like what he could become.

gaudreau - monahan - XXXXX
ferland - bennett - poirier
bouma - backlund - colborne

i like where that top 9 could go in a couple years, i don't want to get too in depth because there's a lot of variables but maybe there's a spot for colborne here long term.
Ferland is never going to be a top 6 winger, I can't see his upside being any higher than where Bouma is now. Klimchuk has a much, much, much better shot at being a top 6 winger than Ferland.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Ferland is never going to be a top 6 winger, I can't see his upside being any higher than where Bouma is now. Klimchuk has a much, much, much better shot at being a top 6 winger than Ferland.

yes but i'm looking in the next couple years where klimchuk is still in the AHL. I personally think ferland has the upside to be a 40-45 point player, and along with his physical game would allow him to bump up from a third line role and add some different elements to a skill line.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
yes but i'm looking in the next couple years where klimchuk is still in the AHL. I personally think ferland has the upside to be a 40-45 point player, and along with his physical game would allow him to bump up from a third line role and add some different elements to a skill line.
Your expectations of Ferland are way too high IMO. I'd be shocked if he exceeds 30 points at the NHL level.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
well i guess we just have to wait and see. i definitely could see him doing it on the right line focusing less on being a ***** disturber and more of a possesion offensive player.

also that lineup was more about creating a balanced 3 line attack than a depth chart.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
well i guess we just have to wait and see. i definitely could see him doing it on the right line focusing less on being a ***** disturber and more of a possesion offensive player.

also that lineup was more about creating a balanced 3 line attack than a depth chart.
I've seen zero consistency so far from him to think he will amount to move than a bottom 6 forward. He will look amazing for a bit then he will look like he shouldn't even be a pro player the next.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
So am I the only one that is really hoping the playoff version of Colborne is who shows up at training camp? (minus dumb penalties... sigh). I've been beyond indifferent on him all year, but he's actually using his size consistently since about halfway through the first round.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would just like to take a moment to point out that Colborne has 39 points in 70 games. Over 82 games that is a pace of 45/46 points; this past off-season I predicted boldly that Colborne would reach 50 points this year if healthy. While he will not reach 50, I was treated like I was bad **** crazy for making such a suggestion. So for those of you who questioned my sanity.....

May 27, 2012
Earth
I would just like to take a moment to point out that Colborne has 39 points in 70 games. Over 82 games that is a pace of 45/46 points; this past off-season I predicted boldly that Colborne would reach 50 points this year if healthy. While he will not reach 50, I was treated like I was bad **** crazy for making such a suggestion. So for those of you who questioned my sanity.....

No we are still right. He never reached 50 points.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As a center, he's often been compared to a poor, POOR mans Joe Thornton. As a RW, I'd say a Bertuzzi type isn't a terrible comparison. His ceiling is probably around 50-55 points.

100, don't count me on that hate wagon lol. I think I said he would get around 45 points, but I stated here his ceiling is around 50-55pts. I'll stand by that especially he gets regular top 6 time next season. If we don't sign another winger, he will get it to.

Go big Joe, you are tall!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No we are still right. He never reached 50 points.
I was told even if healthy he wouldn't come close to 50, most never thought he could reach 40 and some special souls even claimed he wasn't an NHL player

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I still don't like how he's beyond invisible and an absolute possession killer in the offensive zone half the time, but he's had a very respectable post trade deadline.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I still don't like how he's beyond invisible and an absolute possession killer in the offensive zone half the time, but he's had a very respectable post trade deadline.
but lets be honest most middle 6 plays are invisible offensively half the time, if they weren't they would be 1st liners :laugh:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
but lets be honest most middle 6 plays are invisible offensively half the time, if they weren't they would be 1st liners :laugh:

I know I know, but would it be too much to ask that he's at least semi competent in the offensive zone even when he's being invisible? I swear when he's off his game and he gets the puck the play is instantly dead or turned over.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Attach Colborne to Backlund, pay him less than $3 million, and throw a plug in on the right side, and you should have a seriously good third line.

If Benzo can take a step forward and be a good 2nd line center next year, the Flames could have some great depth.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Attach Colborne to Backlund, pay him less than $3 million, and throw a plug in on the right side, and you should have a seriously good third line.

If Benzo can take a step forward and be a good 2nd line center next year, the Flames could have some great depth.

I think the "plug" you're looking for is Frolik :laugh: him and backs are pretty much glued together

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I still don't think he will be good enough to play a top 6 role consistently. Any team will be considered a good playoff team if they have enough depth to push Colborne to the 3rd line. His play seems most effective when he's given around 14-15 minutes.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

He's actually been playing his best hockey of his career by FAR since January when he was a deserved healthy scratch. I'm not sure exactly how to pinpoint in the stats but they are all generally up, reflecting what we've observed:

Oct 01 - Jan 11
36 Games
47.5 CF% @ 5v5
-12 On-Ice Goal Differential
19 Giveaways
19 Blocked Shots
70 Hits
75 individual Shot Attempts
5 Goals
10 Assists

Jan 19 - Present
34 Games
49.8 CF% @ 5v5
+9 On-Ice Goal Differential
12 Giveaways
84 individual Shot Attempts
9 Blocked Shots
52 hits
13 goals
11 Assists

It's a subtle difference but the only stats he's "down" in are hits and blocks, stats that you don't want to be "up" in anyways as those are both "Other team has the puck" stats. He has less giveaways, better corsi, and he's "just shoot"ing more. It doesn't hurt how hard he has driven the net.

That said that doesn't mean I'm sold on Colborne. It just means he's had a good half a season. The same season he's had an awful half a season.

Maybe Colborne was the top 6 winger we were looking for?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne for next season.

Oh God No.

Never.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Colborne doesn't have the hockey IQ to being a consistent top-six player. He looks fine alongside Backlund who has chemistry with almost everyone but he hasn't shown the ability to keep up with Gaudreau/Monahan or Bennett/anybody. I don't see that changing magically next year.

People have short memories; the first half of this season was Hartley desperately plugging Colborne into the top six and the results were almost unanimous; get Colborne off the team as quickly as possible. Would rather the Treliving didn't waste more time on that dead end and continued to search a proper longterm fit on the right side. If Shinkaruk can take a spot next season, then the team's only need up front is a couple of top-six right wingers

Gaudreau-Monahan-XXX
Shinkaruk-Bennett-XXX
Colborne-Backlund-Frolik
Bouma-Stajan-Ferland
Hathaway/Bollig

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Can we not make the mistake of acting like Joe Colborne is a top-six forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00