Joe Colborne is Really Tall

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He has crappy balance, he rarely wins puck battles, he constantly bobbles pucks (can't take a pass or strip the puck to save his life), and he's not very fast. He looks like someone took all of Jankowski's negative traits from last year and condensed them into a player who lacks Jankowski's positive traits. Also, he's taking up Mikael Backlund's spot despite Backlund being better than him in literally every facet of hockey.

I don't care if Burke likes him, or if he's from Calgary. He should be stapled to the 4th line centre position until he at least shows that he can outplay 4th liners on a regular basis (which he hasn't).

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm frustrated by Colborne too, but this thread seems quite close to bashing, does it not?

Guy's shown great play along the boards, and in front of the net without the puck, but apart from that he looks lost in just about every other facet of the game IMO. I think he would be fine if we kept him on the fourth line.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I know you're being facetious, but reading this post still made my ass pucker.

1367168506429.jpg

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I know you're being facetious, but reading this post still made my ass pucker.

That's some impressive stuff right there.

In topic I haven't taken a shining to Colborne. He's a big guy and battles on the boards more than Monahan and Backlund but I haven't bought what he's selling.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I kinda like Colborne. It's just that our centre depth is wonky and he's out of his league playing on a second line with the linemates he has. He'd probably look better if he was further down the lineup.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This thread could've had a poll too.

That would've been a good idea.

Poll question: "Joe Colborne?"
Poll answer: "No."

But seriously, he may have some future promise as an NHLer, but he's constantly being played way out of his depth by Hartley. I honestly don't see what the coach is seeing to make him think "this kid needs 20 minutes a game".

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

But seriously, he may have some future promise as an NHLer, but he's constantly being played way out of his depth by Hartley. I honestly don't see what the coach is seeing to make him think "this kid needs 20 minutes a game".

LOL it's Comeau all over again.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Not to mention throwing him against other teams' second lines cannot be good for his development.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't get the hate at all. He struggles controlling the puck for sure but that is something that can be taught and you can already notice him getting better than his first few games with us.

Also this literally isn't true
he's taking up Mikael Backlund's spot despite Backlund being better than him in literally every facet of hockey.

Does he have negatives about his game? Yes of course, but there is no way you can tell me you don't think he is better than a 4th liner.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
At first I was annoyed that Street was getting more minutes then him. Now I'm frustrated that he's being given a lot long leash then Backlund or Sven.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Colborne is probably one of the most over rated players on this team. That said he has some positives.

All of our rookies are. Sven has played like crap and doesn't seem to know what to do with the puck, Monahan has a lot of defensive problems (as expected for rookies), Colborne knows where to be but can't get the puck to stay on his stick, even Backlund isn't playing that great as he seems lost offensive but great defensively.

At this point I would really like to see a
Sven - Backlund - Colborne

It would let Backlund have someone to take the puck away from him and allow him to try and find his game, it gives both Sven and Colborne someone that can play defense and reduce some pressure on them, and it gives Sven two bigger guys that both can cycle and pass and Colborne is a great screen.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Colborne's not particularly great in anything (or even good at a lot of things) but the fault here lies with Hartley for constantly playing him in positions way beyond his capabilities. There's no real justification for him to be a fixture in the top six and powerplay when he has David Moss-like hands. At the moment, he shouldn't be anywhere but the 4th line.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Colborne's not particularly great in anything (or even good at a lot of things) but the fault here lies with Hartley for constantly playing him in positions way beyond his capabilities. There's no real justification for him to be a fixture in the top six and powerplay when he has David Moss-like hands. At the moment, he shouldn't be anywhere but the 4th line.

He is a great screen (helped score a goal last night because of it) and without GlenX we don't have a lot of big guys willing to stand in front of the net.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If he were a winger, he'd likely be a scratch. The only reason he gets the icetime he does, is because he plays center, and is really the only physical centerman we have.

With that being said, I've been quite happy with him. This was a guy that was supposed to be a bust already, and he's stepped his game up drastically.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He is a great screen (helped score a goal last night because of it) and without GlenX we don't have a lot of big guys willing to stand in front of the net.

Colborne has three positive factors (or at least supposed to) to his game; faceoffs, board battles and a big body to screen the goalie.

With regards to faceoffs, at just under 42 per cent, he's the worst out of all the natural centres on the team.

He's usually good at winning board battles, so there's that, but Reinhart's pretty good at that too.

As for screening goalie, it's been completely ineffectual on the powerplay, which is the main complaint. He's not particularly good on deflections either. But neither this, nor his ability to win puck battles along the board really warrant the amount of ice time he's getting, especially when he's poor with actually handling the puck.

He's just a really poor fit for the Cammalleri line, which is why it's weird to see Hartley keep throwing them out there. He's 6'5' but it's not as though he's uses it to great effect. When Glencross comes back, Colborne should be the first guy sitting, in a better world at least.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Colborne has three positive factors (or at least supposed to) to his game; faceoffs, board battles and a big body to screen the goalie.

With regards to faceoffs, at just under 42 per cent, he's the worst out of all the natural centres on the team.

He's usually good at winning board battles, so there's that, but Reinhart's pretty good at that too.

As for screening goalie, it's been completely ineffectual on the powerplay, which is the main complaint. He's not particularly good on deflections either. But neither this, nor his ability to win puck battles along the board really warrant the amount of ice time he's getting, especially when he's poor with actually handling the puck.

He's just a really poor fit for the Cammalleri line, which is why it's weird to see Hartley keep throwing them out there. He's 6'5' but it's not as though he's uses it to great effect. When Glencross comes back, Colborne should be the first guy sitting, in a better world at least.

I disagree, and we don't have to look farther than last game for proof. I prefer his game to Backlund's as atleast he is making plays even if they don't work out Backlund seems to waste his offensive time trying to set up the perfect play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad