Joe Colborne is Really Tall

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Definitely. It's great to have that kind of flexibility when you have players that can play in two positions. As I recall, that was one reason why the Flames signed Raymond because he was able to play RW as well.

Slightly off topic, but I could see that if Gaudreau stays and if Seto continues to be invisible that they shift Raymond, move/bury Seto and bring up Baertschi.

PhoenixDog

Flamer for Life !!!
Aug 12, 2006
Calgary, AB
Joe Colbourne Potential

Do you all think Colbourne will keep up his pace? whats his upside? Will he finally realize his potential after stops in Bos and Tor?

Right now Raymond is on fire, but i'm sure he'll come back down to earth soon enough. How many points does Colbourne put up this yr?

Is he getting more time on the 2nd line? or 3rd line?

http://lines.fantasyhockey911.com/line-combinations/calgary-flames/2014-10-19#/

thanks in advance.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
What does Colborne and Thornton have in common, well.. lets take a look!

Both first names are Joe
Both were drafted by Boston
Both took a couple seasons to get it together
Both are 6'4

Basically, we expect 100+ point seasons. Starting this year, tbh.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Do you all think Colbourne will keep up his pace? whats his upside? Will he finally realize his potential after stops in Bos and Tor?

Right now Raymond is on fire, but i'm sure he'll come back down to earth soon enough. How many points does Colbourne put up this yr?

Is he getting more time on the 2nd line? or 3rd line?

http://lines.fantasyhockey911.com/line-combinations/calgary-flames/2014-10-19#/

thanks in advance.

Colborne is a good middle 6er C/RW.

How many points do I see him getting? 40-50. With the hot start that he has had, I am going to say the high 40's. Definitely is looking better than last year.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
What does Colborne and Thornton have in common, well.. lets take a look!

Both first names are Joe
Both were drafted by Boston
Both took a couple seasons to get it together
Both are 6'4

Basically, we expect 100+ point seasons. Starting this year, tbh.

The fact he didn't get 100 last year means we should probably trade him for scraps soon.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
He's been really good and continues to improve. Nice to see him using his size since that was one of his major criticism. If he continues along he'll be in for a nice contract after his bridge deal ends.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He's had a nice start to the season for sure, but tbh I still see him as a 3rd line secondary contributor, can spot in on the top 6 when needed. Still, very useful player, with his size and hands, he could prove me wrong

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
No matter what, he was a steal for a 4th!

I feel bad for player of Joe's size because a lot of the criticism from the fans is a result of optics. He was pushed out of Toronto because he didn't look like he was working hard for a spot.

I'm very glad he's doing well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I feel bad for player of Joe's size because a lot of the criticism from the fans is a result of optics. He was pushed out of Toronto because he didn't look like he was working hard for a spot.

Seeing him grow over the last year has been a real treat. He still has so much room for growth in his game, and as he continues to get stronger and use his size to his advantage, he's going to keep getting better. I see no reason why he can't be a 50+ point guy.

Aug 3, 2010

A lot of it is coaching, too. I would go so far as to say that neither Carlyle or Wilson are as apt at Hartley as finding players innate skillsets and developing them by encouraging them to play to their strengths. I would also say that had Colborne come to the organization earlier, it's not like B. Sutter would have helped Colborne discover his full potential either.

Hartley honestly seems to have a knack for player development. He helped Bouwmeester rediscover his game before he was traded, he's helped Brodie find the extra gear in his game, made room for Monahan to develop properly, and played Gaudreau in appropriate amounts and positions.

And lastly, though I am not certain how much it factors in, but Colborne is a Calgary boy after all and assuming he grew up cheering for the Flames (as opposed to the Oilers or Canucks or something) that's extra motivation to start carving out his career path. Playing on his hometown team in front of his friends and family every night must be encouraging and invigorating.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
A lot of it is coaching, too. I would go so far as to say that neither Carlyle or Wilson are as apt at Hartley as finding players innate skillsets and developing them by encouraging them to play to their strengths. I would also say that had Colborne come to the organization earlier, it's not like B. Sutter would have helped Colborne discover his full potential either.

Hartley honestly seems to have a knack for player development. He helped Bouwmeester rediscover his game before he was traded, he's helped Brodie find the extra gear in his game, made room for Monahan to develop properly, and played Gaudreau in appropriate amounts and positions.

I totally agree with you.

I hope the organization has every intention of keeping Hartley aboard long term, regardless of what the standing results are at the end of the season. His skills are really paying off on the young player development. Just seeing what he could do with Monahan last year gives me a lot of hope for what he can potentially do for Gaudreau and Bennett (not to mention any of the kids that get call ups).

What's funny is some people pegged Hartley as the first head coach to get the axe this season based purely on what projected standings would be, nevermind the progress he's had on player development.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think we are starting to see why he was a first round selection in his draft year.

Also, him getting bigger in the offseason is really, really paying off.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

And lastly, though I am not certain how much it factors in, but Colborne is a Calgary boy after all and assuming he grew up cheering for the Flames (as opposed to the Oilers or Canucks or something) that's extra motivation to start carving out his career path. Playing on his hometown team in front of his friends and family every night must be encouraging and invigorating.

Agreed with the bolded. Same is very true for Byron. In another system I doubt he becomes an NHL regular tbh.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
I think we are starting to see why he was a first round selection in his draft year.

Also, him getting bigger in the offseason is really, really paying off.
I think Colborne is a player, like Backlund, who needs a bit of time than expected to develop. The Leafs had an unfortunate situation regarding Waiving Colborne if they didn't feel he would make the team (IIRC) and the Flames, with their Burke connection, were keenly aware of the situation and capitalized.

Colborne also looks much better IMO on the Wing than as a Centre. This conversion has wonders for his development. He's able to utilize that frame on the boards and is becoming a formidable presence in that position.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think Colborne is a player, like Backlund, who needs a bit of time than expected to develop. The Leafs had an unfortunate situation regarding Waiving Colborne if they didn't feel he would make the team (IIRC) and the Flames, with their Burke connection, were keenly aware of the situation and capitalized.

Colborne also looks much better IMO on the Wing than as a Centre. This conversion has wonders for his development. He's able to utilize that frame on the boards and is becoming a formidable presence in that position.

Hell, I think more than just the pro scouts were aware of that situation in Toronto. This board was worked into a frenzy weeks before the move happened if I recall correctly. :laugh:

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
My only negative comment about Joe's game so far this year is that he's only got 6 shots on goal. Love the assists, but 6 shots on goal in 10 games isn't very many. He's gotta unload on some goalies. Get himself some more shots. Other than that, impressed and I'm glad he's part of our core future.:yo:

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
My only negative comment about Joe's game so far this year is that he's only got 6 shots on goal. Love the assists, but 6 shots on goal in 10 games isn't very many. He's gotta unload on some goalies. Get himself some more shots. Other than that, impressed and I'm glad he's part of our core future.:yo:

No doubt, guy has some pretty soft hands. It'd be nice to see him score other than in shootouts lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: