Joe Colborne is Really Tall

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Colborne also has been given very sheltered minutes. I think he has his work cut for him come training camp. He's no good on the 4th line, so if he's not a better option than Reinhart, Granlund, Knight, Byron or Agostino in the top 9, I can't see him being a Flame very long. Consistency is his main issue right now.

He's better than all the guys you listed, so I'm sure he'll be back.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's better than all the guys you listed, so I'm sure he'll be back.

He's also older than those guys, but your point still stands. Power forwards take much longer to develop and I feel that the largest factor on Colborne's game is confidence. He also needs to get stronger, and I'm sure he will this offseason, but man if he can really hit the gym in the summer, and develop his game in front of the net and deflect pucks, while his confidence continues to grow, he may be a perennial 25 goal scorer for us, and I'm dead serious when I say that. Quite frankly, the role is providing is something we have no where else in our organization.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He's also older than those guys, but your point still stands. Power forwards take much longer to develop and I feel that the largest factor on Colborne's game is confidence. He also needs to get stronger, and I'm sure he will this offseason, but man if he can really hit the gym in the summer, and develop his game in front of the net and deflect pucks, while his confidence continues to grow, he may be a perennial 25 goal scorer for us, and I'm dead serious when I say that. Quite frankly, the role is providing is something we have no where else in our organization.

I think Colborne is too soft and in consistent to be a 20 goal scoring power forward. He reminds me a lot like Rene Borque, who was anoter person who had all the tools to be a 5 million dollar guy, but took too many shifts off and didn't back-check. And when you're not scoring, you have to be doing those other things away from the puck

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Colborne is too soft and in consistent to be a 20 goal scoring power forward. He reminds me a lot like Rene Borque, who was anoter person who had all the tools to be a 5 million dollar guy, but took too many shifts off and didn't back-check. And when you're not scoring, you have to be doing those other things away from the puck

I've really noticed Colborne up his physical game since being moved to the wing, and if he continues to add to his tall, slender frame, his physical game should only improve. He definitely needs more of a mean streak, but I think the coaches are really working to develop that aspect of his game and I've seen a huge improvement in him since the start of the season. I'm not saying it's gonna be easy, he needs to put in the work but I do believe he has all the tools and drive to do so. His hands are also a huge asset to his game, if he can really work on deflecting pucks in front of the net, watch out for this kid especially on the PP.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows

Yup.

Size alone doesn't make a power forward. Nobody is worried about going into the corner with Colborne. But for now he is one of the best options the Flames have. Burkes plan for Colborne was to re invent him into an effective role player. Might work, might not. All in all, I'm neutral on Colborne. He doesn't wow me, but at this point, he does not hurt the team.

Colborne should be considered a "work in progress".

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Colborne proved me wrong in the 2nd half of the season, aka he really improved his all around game.

Wasn't last year his official rookie season? If so and he improved that much, and now has put on 10lbs, he is going no where. For a long time.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring this season. I was beyond frustrated with him for the first half of last season. However I was happier towards the end. Not thrilled, as the consistency from game to game was still lacking at times, but better.

I'm still unsure if he has the potential to stick in the top six for a full season. We'll find out in time I guess.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really think strength was/is an obvious issue for Joe. He has the size, but often doesn't play big. If he can add size and strength and keep playing with an edge, he could be a real good player.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
As a center you're not really near the boards as much as wingers do. When Hartley put Joe on the wing, the kid flourished because he utilized his size to get in the dirty areas. Smart coaching on Hartley's part, I think Joe can get a 40 point season this year.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
As a center you're not really near the boards as much as wingers do. When Hartley put Joe on the wing, the kid flourished because he utilized his size to get in the dirty areas. Smart coaching on Hartley's part, I think Joe can get a 40 point season this year.

This is pretty much it, Hartley is a great coach. Joe's realized his biggest strength is his ability to outmatch players in the offensive zone corners. He seemed to come up with the puck everytime. He's not overly physical, he just knows how to use his body effectivly now. Good on him, I'm expecting more of the same this year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
going back in this thread I would like to give props to that gentleman with the Sena Acolatse lego avatar, he was preaching people need to be patient because Joe was a rookie. And look what has happened since then. What a smart fellow.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I prefer Joe on the wing, he plays pretty well when he is one of the wingers that goes to the dirty areas.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I prefer Joe on the wing, he plays pretty well when he is one of the wingers that goes to the dirty areas.

Me as well but hes turning me into a believer of him at C, he is using his size really well and making space for his wingers to play. I think he might end up being quite good at both, and thats a good thing for the Flames.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Me as well but hes turning me into a believer of him at C, he is using his size really well and making space for his wingers to play. I think he might end up being quite good at both, and thats a good thing for the Flames.

Definitely. It's great to have that kind of flexibility when you have players that can play in two positions. As I recall, that was one reason why the Flames signed Raymond because he was able to play RW as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad