Confirmed with Link: Jochen Hecht - 1 year, $1 million cap hit

Dixon Ward

Fire SOMEONE
Oct 21, 2006
District of Columbia
he still has the worst shorthanded GA per 60 minutes. of course, that could be because he's playing too many mintues, I suppose

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...=BUF&f7=10-&c=0+1+3+5+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28

He's also on for the highest GA/60 while shorthanded. I'm not concerned about it. After 14 games, we're still in the small sample range.

my only point (which, to be fair, i failed to spell out) was that it should not be surprising that pominville has more sh goals against than stafford, given that he plays more minutes on the pk.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Our forever crappy power play that looks confused, and gets scored on doesn't have any thing to do with the fatigue Jason Pominville shows playing an extra 50 seconds/game. Our PP has sucked because our coaches are not good tactically. A good PP coach would have Vanek's goal scoring in the stratosphere. Imagine him on tghe old DET PP's or with the Sedins. It wouldn't even be fair to the opposition.

...and please stop arguing for moar Hecht. I can't even fathom anyone enjoying him getting all these minutes, good PK'er or not. If he's not here, Lindy can't favorite him. Simple as that.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Our forever crappy power play that looks confused, and gets scored on doesn't have any thing to do with the fatigue Jason Pominville shows playing an extra 50 seconds/game. Our PP has sucked because our coaches are not good tactically. A good PP coach would have Vanek's goal scoring in the stratosphere. Imagine him on tghe old DET PP's or with the Sedins. It wouldn't even be fair to the opposition.

...and please stop arguing for moar Hecht. I can't even fathom anyone enjoying him getting all these minutes, good PK'er or not. If he's not here, Lindy can't favorite him. Simple as that.

Nobody is arguing for more Hecht.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Nobody is arguing for more Hecht.

I just don't see any sense in arguing for ANY ice time for an aging defensive(he's not 2-way anymore, that's a fallacy) forward on a team that clearly needs to continue building, and get looks from their younger talent.

I'm also pretty sure no other team offering him even a million(I have no proof no one did, except that he'd be a fool to pass it up and play in the DEL) proves his worth around the league, as well.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
I think the only thing that's funny in these last couple pages is your theory that the team that's given up the second-most goals in the conference should rid itself of one of its better goal-preventing forwards at ES in favor of an AHL scoring line player.
What a ringing endorsement to keep playing Jochen Hecht. Hell of an argument, Zip.

Hence my point. His presence is pointless. Give someone else a chance to play at 5 on 5. Never should have brought him back. The Sabres are in 15th place in the conference. But I guess Kevin Porter would make us soooo much worse.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
What a ringing endorsement to keep playing Jochen Hecht. Hell of an argument, Zip.

Hence my point. His presence is pointless. Give someone else a chance to play at 5 on 5. Never should have brought him back. The Sabres are in 15th place in the conference. But I guess Kevin Porter would make us soooo much worse.

As scary as this sounds, yeah, Porter might make us even worse. Because you've demonstrated a track record of being intentionally dense in an effort to advance your argument that Porter should be playing over Hecht, I'll be more specific: We could be doing even worse than 11 pts in 14 games if we were playing career AHLers who aren't good defensive players over someone like Hecht.

And I'm not sure what you don't understand about "we give up too many goals as a team" and "Hecht doesn't get scored on all that much at ES." But, yeah, by all means, let's bring up a guy who's not good enough for the NHL.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I just don't see any sense in arguing for ANY ice time for an aging defensive(he's not 2-way anymore, that's a fallacy) forward on a team that clearly needs to continue building, and get looks from their younger talent.

I'm also pretty sure no other team offering him even a million(I have no proof no one did, except that he'd be a fool to pass it up and play in the DEL) proves his worth around the league, as well.

Sadly, it's the logic underlying the bolded statement that may end up harming Grigorenko's development. He shouldn't be here.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Sadly, it's the logic underlying the bolded statement that may end up harming Grigorenko's development. He shouldn't be here.

I wouldn't consider him a bubble or fringe player who needs a look. He's a hot prospect, who should be where he belongs, which sadly, in this case, isn't where he is. I'm not sure being here will harm him, except if he gets mad about Rochy next year(if he's eligible, he is only 18 now?). If he just had to play as a prospect next year as well, then I guess him being here now is ok, too.

As scary as this sounds, yeah, Porter might make us even worse. Because you've demonstrated a track record of being intentionally dense in an effort to advance your argument that Porter should be playing over Hecht, I'll be more specific: We could be doing even worse than 11 pts in 14 games if we were playing career AHLers who aren't good defensive players over someone like Hecht.

And I'm not sure what you don't understand about "we give up too many goals as a team" and "Hecht doesn't get scored on all that much at ES." But, yeah, by all means, let's bring up a guy who's not good enough for the NHL.

Right, but landing in 9th place every year is probably the most painful and least effective ways to re-build. Playing Hecht helps to ensure the 9th place finish, after a long, boring, annoying as hell season.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
As scary as this sounds, yeah, Porter might make us even worse. Because you've demonstrated a track record of being intentionally dense in an effort to advance your argument that Porter should be playing over Hecht, I'll be more specific: We could be doing even worse than 11 pts in 14 games if we were playing career AHLers.

The density in you believing that Jochen Hecht is anything more than an AHL level player himself is what's so hilarious here.

Let me spell it out for you.

Hecht. isn't. good. enough. to. play. in. the. NHL. anymore.

Part of the reason for why Hecht doesn't get scored on that much 5 on 5 because his lines have typically been playing against bottom 6 forwards. Especially when he's playing on the 4th line. Which, if anywhere at all, is where he should be.

I know that it's never happend, in the entire history of the NHL, that a mid-20's player has ever rejuvenated their career with a new organization and a second chance. Never happend even once. Porter could turn out to be a fine 4th line forward if he's just given a shot.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I disagree with all of that. He could be an important player on a good team. I think a lot of GM's are kicking themselves for not taking him. His physical skills are still there, esp considering a shortened season.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
If Hecht is such a good defenseive player, one that we absolutely needed to bring back, one that should SO OBVIOUSLY play over a different fringe NHL player, then why is the Sabres PK in the bottom half in the league? And why are the Sabres ranked 27th in average goals against per game?

What's Hecht really doing for the Sabres?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The density in you believing that Jochen Hecht is anything more than an AHL level player himself is what's so hilarious here.

Let me spell it out for you.

Hecht. isn't. good. enough. to. play. in. the. NHL. anymore.

Part of the reason for why Hecht doesn't get scored on that much 5 on 5 because his lines have typically been playing against bottom 6 forwards. Especially when he's playing on the 4th line. Which, if anywhere at all, is where he should be.

I know that it's never happend, in the entire history of the NHL, that a mid-20's player has ever rejuvenated their career with a new organization and a second chance. Never happend even once. Porter could turn out to be a fine 4th line forward if he's just given a shot.

You're wrong, and we're just going around in circles now. We'll see what type of career Porter has, though I have little doubt you'll blame the inevitable failure on lack of opportunity.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
I disagree with all of that. He could be an important player on a good team. I think a lot of GM's are kicking themselves for not taking him. His physical skills are still there, esp considering a shortened season.
Now NHL GMs are "kicking themselves" for not signing Jochen Hecht?? You're not even kidding??? HA! Now I've seen it all.....WOW.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Now NHL GMs are "kicking themselves" for not signing Jochen Hecht?? You're not even kidding??? HA! Now I've seen it all.....WOW.

You're saying Lindy is so awful, that he plays a guy who isn't even worth a contract 20 min a night, while scratching others, and no one in the league(besides you and your staff) even bats a lash at it??????

Cumon now!!

The guy is a good defensive forward, and they are essential to a good team. The Sabres are not a good team, so he just makes us more mediocre.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
You're wrong, and we're just going around in circles now. We'll see what type of career Porter has, though I have little doubt you'll blame the inevitable failure on lack of opportunity.
Why am I wrong, Zip? Which teams were lining up to sign Jochen Hecht other than his best buddies running the Sabres hockey operations?

There is absolutely no doubt that this NHL city is the only NHL city he would be playing in during the 2012-13 season.

He does nothing positive for the advancement of this team.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why am I wrong, Zip? Which teams were lining up to sign Jochen Hecht other than his best buddies running the Sabres hockey operations?

There is absolutely no doubt that this NHL city is the only NHL city he would be playing in during the 2012-13 season.

He does nothing positive for the advancement of this team.

That's a lot of speculation.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Precisely! Thank you! Imagine where they'd be if they replaced him with someone like Porter. Probably even worse defensively.
Thank me? They stink with Hecht being a key part of it. Thank you!

Offering quality ES defense and he's one of the team's better PKers.
I already defunct your ES defense argument; and the PK argument isn't worth his presence at all.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Thank me? They stink with Hecht being a key part of it. Thank you!

I already defunct your ES defense argument; and the PK argument isn't worth his presence at all.

You did? Where? That they're a terrible defensive team at 5-on-5, but for about three players (him, Kaleta and Ott) and you'd reduce that by 1/3 if you had your way. Not exactly debunking anything there, Blood.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
I'm in the anyone but Hecht boat as well. Don't care too much that we suck, but I would like to suck in a way that is substantially and materially different from the ways we have previously sucked.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
You did? Where? That they're a terrible defensive team at 5-on-5, but for about three players (him, Kaleta and Ott) and you'd reduce that by 1/3 if you had your way. Not exactly debunking anything there, Blood.
They don't get scored on a lot while Hecht is on the ice at even strength because his line, whether it be the 3rd or 4th lines, are almost always matched up against the opposition's 3rd and 4th lines. That's exactly why Ott and Kaleta are also there with Hecht.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
That's a lot of speculation.

If Hecht wasn't welcomed back by the Sabres, he was going to retire.

Which teams were lining up to sign the oft-injured and recently concussed 35 year old Hecht if the Sabres weren't in line?

Through 14 games, it's pretty obvious that he should have retired.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
I'm in the anyone but Hecht boat as well. Don't care too much that we suck, but I would like to suck in a way that is substantially and materially different from the ways we have previously sucked.
That's part of it for me too, Ike.

I'd rather suck while giving a guy like Porter a shot to rejuvenate his career. It's not a foregone conclusion that he wouldn't. He'd be playing like he were shot out of a canon. Hecht plays like a guy who was thinking about retiring.

It was absolutely a foregone conclusion that Hecht, who was already a shell of his former self prior to this season, would continue to be a shell of his former shelf after more injures, and at age 35.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
If Jochen is an AHL player now, then I guess those 2 Bruins he out-skated at the end of the period must be ECHL players. It's funny how ECHL'ers at the top of the conference(league).

lol

I'm smelling blind rage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad