Confirmed with Link: Jochen Hecht - 1 year, $1 million cap hit

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
People call Jochen and Ruff out for his TOI, but the truth is that its at the lowest of his career in Buffalo.

And it's still too high. Why is what he played in the past relevant in any way? He shouldn't be hovering anywhere close to 15 mins a night

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
And it's still too high. Why is what he played in the past relevant in any way? He shouldn't be hovering anywhere close to 15 mins a night

He's 7th among forwards at ES in TOI, 10 seconds in front of Ott, who cuts many of his shifts short with silly penalties. Who should be ahead of him in ES TOI, besides Ott (and I've been less than impressed with his play), that isn't?

I think people want to frame the issue as "He's getting too much ice time!" But let's look at this critically. Who is being deprived of ice time that otherwise deserves more? For those who say Grigorenko, I can't help but laugh, because if this was truly a meritocracy, he'd be getting more ice time alright, but it'd be for the Quebec Remparts. Is there someone currently in the AHL who'd be vastly outperforming Hecht in Buffalo? Kevin Porter? Ha. Luke Adam? Good christ. Mark Mancari???

A good 2-3 mins of his ES ice time is the direct result of Leino's injury, IMO. That 3rd line was all set to be Leino-Grigs-Ott before Ville's hip injury. Additionally, while Regier was being roundly applauded for trading Roy, and subsequently calling it a summer, good bottom-6 guys were getting snatched up left and right. That's Regier's fault, not Hecht's fault.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
He's 7th among forwards at ES in TOI, 10 seconds in front of Ott, who cuts many of his shifts short with silly penalties. Who should be ahead of him in ES TOI, besides Ott (and I've been less than impressed with his play), that isn't?

I think people want to frame the issue as "He's getting too much ice time!" But let's look at this critically. Who is being deprived of ice time that otherwise deserves more? For those who say Grigorenko, I can't help but laugh, because if this was truly a meritocracy, he'd be getting more ice time alright, but it'd be for the Quebec Remparts. Is there someone currently in the AHL who'd be vastly outperforming Hecht in Buffalo? Kevin Porter? Ha. Luke Adam? Good christ. Mark Mancari???

A good 2-3 mins of his ES ice time is the direct result of Leino's injury, IMO. That 3rd line was all set to be Leino-Grigs-Ott before Ville's hip injury. Additionally, while Regier was being roundly applauded for trading Roy, and subsequently calling it a summer, good bottom-6 guys were getting snatched up left and right. That's Regier's fault, not Hecht's fault.

QFT. Couldn't agree more.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why not Kevin Porter?

Because he's your typical good AHL player who won't hack it in the NHL. His offense won't translate, and he doesn't do the other things well enough to be in an NHL bottom-6. The hockey equivalent of a quadruple-A baseball player.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Because he's your typical good AHL player who won't hack it in the NHL. His offense won't translate, and he doesn't do the other things well enough to be in an NHL bottom-6. The hockey equivalent of a quadruple-A baseball player.

Kevin Porter is a very good AHL player that's almost averaing a point per game. You may even call him a fringe NHL player, which is exactly what Jochen Hecht currently is. If Hecht wasn't playing for the Sabres, he wouldn't be playing in any other NHL city. Porter is also an actual centerman, unlike Hecht. The Sabres could use a real pivot their 4th line.

Porter puts up enough points to center an NHL 4th line, he hits, fights to protect his teammates, hustles, is an excellent two-way player at the AHL level, and is the Captain of a team that has found it's way and hit its stride, in the midst of losing three of it's best players in Hodgson, Foligno, and Brennan.

What does Jochen Hecht bring that makes him more valuable than the much younger and hungrier Kevin Porter? Certainly not Hecht's penalty killing, which leads all Sabres forwards in average SH TOI. A penalty killing unit which happens to rank in the bottom half of the NHL. Certainly not his offensive touch, as he has none. Certainly not his physical play, which he's never had.

So, what exactly is it about Jochen Hecht that makes you shrug off giving Kevin Porter a shot on the 4th line over him?

Hecht is actually a hockey equivalent of a quadruple-A baseball player. He's also one solid jolt away from permanent retirement. I fail to see how Hecht is so much more valuable to this team than Porter could be.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Kevin Porter is a very good AHL player that's almost averaing a point per game. You may even call him a fringe NHL player, which is exactly what Jochen Hecht currently is. If Hecht wasn't playing for the Sabres, he wouldn't be playing in any other NHL city. Porter is also an actual centerman, unlike Hecht. The Sabres could use a real pivot their 4th line.

Porter puts up enough points to center an NHL 4th line, he hits, fights to protect his teammates, hustles, is an excellent two-way player at the AHL level, and is the Captain of a team that has found it's way and hit its stride, in the midst of losing three of it's best players in Hodgson, Foligno, and Brennan.

What does Jochen Hecht bring that makes him more valuable than the much younger and hungrier Kevin Porter? Certainly not Hecht's penalty killing, which leads all Sabres forwards in average SH TOI. A penalty killing unit which happens to rank in the bottom half of the NHL. Certainly not his offensive touch, as he has none. Certainly not his physical play, which he's never had.

So, what exactly is it about Jochen Hecht that makes you shrug off giving Kevin Porter a shot on the 4th line over him?

Hecht is actually a hockey equivalent of a quadruple-A baseball player. He's also one solid jolt away from permanent retirement. I fail to see how Hecht is so much more valuable to this team than Porter could be.

Kevin Porter is not an NHL player. Sorry. He's Paul Szczechura.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Its still a dumb move that makes fans feel like nothing will ever change.

I totally agree. But that doesn't change the fact that there are better options with in this organization than some of the players that are playing every night. I don't know if Kevin Porter fits into that category until I see him lace them up with the parent club, but I have a pretty darn good idea that he'd be a better than a number of players that have shared time on the 4th line.. I just don't see why that shouldn't even be considered an option.

But this is how this organization operates. We know Hecht will never take a seat in the press box. We know they'll never waive him. Jordon Leopold should have been healthy scratched at least 3 times already, yet it's Sulzer, 5th on the team in goals, as well as +4 on one of the most scored on teams in hockey, that sits instead.

They would rather dress a weakened lineup, than embarrass a veteran like Hecht or Leopold.

I'm sorry, but that's not how an organization, who's sole reason for existence is to win the Stanley Cup, should operate. If they can have even a slightly better roster, then that's exactly what they should be doing.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
You didn't answer the question. I guess it's because you don't have an answer.

Paul Szszchura, huh? Funny enough, even Paul Szszchura had 4 points in 9 games with Buffalo. Hecht has 3 in 14.

What the hell us Jochen Hecht doing here, Zip?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Good for him and the Amerks. Shall we run down the list of point/game players in the AHL who'll never NHL careers? Alex Giroux? Mark Mancari? Darren Haydar? Should we continue...?

There you go again. Points? For a 4th line center, we're talking about the points they can put up? FFS. Do people realize that there's more to hockey than points?

And save me the line that the Amerks' entire turnaround is due to Kevin Porter. While he may be a part of it, they added Pardy and Rissmiller, removed JGL from the lineup, and the rest of the league also lost a lot of talent, just like Rochester did--including their chief rival, the Marlies.

What does Jochen Hecht bring that makes him more valuable than the much younger and hungrier Kevin Porter? Certainly not Hecht's penalty killing, which leads all Sabres forwards in average SH TOI. A penalty killing unit which happens to rank in the bottom half of the NHL. Certainly not his offensive touch, as he has none.

He is a much better PKer than Porter. The Avs didn't even use him in such a role because he wasn't good at it. Also, you must be saying Pominville is a crappy PKer considering he's been the ice for the most PPG against.

Certainly not his physical play, which he's never had.

I'm sure opponents will be quaking in their boots when Kevin "I averaged 22 PIMs per season in the NHL" Porter comes bearing down on the forecheck.

The fact that Porter isn't an NHL player. Quadruple-A.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
You didn't answer the question. I guess it's because you don't have an answer.

Paul Szszchura, huh? Funny enough, even Paul Szszchura had 4 points in 9 games with Buffalo. Hecht has 3 in 14.

What the hell us Jochen Hecht doing here, Zip?

I gave you a response. Now go build your NHL bottom-6's around the Jason Krogs and Darren Haydars of the world, because "they score points in the AHL," or whatever logic you're using for Porter. That's actually an insult to Haydar and Krog, because at least they were elite AHL players at one time.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Avs fans know Porter much better than we do. Let's see what they had to say about him after last season:

DDC's Take: Like Cheryl is going to tell you below, I've really been pulling for Porter. He shows some flashes at times where you can really see why he was the Hobey Baker winner at Michigan. But they aren't frequent enough to get him significant time on one of the scoring lines and he just doesn't do "4th line stuff." Porter isn't considered a penalty killer, which puts him lower on the depth chart than guys like Kobasew. Unfortunately, "lower on the depth chart than Kobasew" is the press box.

Cheryl's Take: Sigh. I believed in Porter for so long, defending him with all my might. I just couldn't do it any longer this season. I had to accept that he just isn't really an NHL player. The guy will be fantastic in the AHL and maybe he'd do well on another team (i.e., in the Eastern Conference where his diminutive stature won't be such a liability). The thing that I really like about him, though, is how professional he was about his situation. He worked his ass off every practice, always being one of the last to leave the ice, and he kept a positive attitude despite spending more time in the press box than in games. That attitude might garner him a new contract for 2012-2013. I wouldn't be surprised to see another team take a run at him, either. Either way, I wish him well because I really do like the guy. I just wish he was better at playing hockey.

From Mile High Hockey, one of the better Avs blogs out there. But I'm sure you'll strive to discredit them.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2012/5/7/3002076/avalanche-final-grade-2012-kevin-porter

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Good for him and the Amerks. Shall we run down the list of point/game players in the AHL who'll never NHL careers? Alex Giroux? Mark Mancari? Darren Haydar? Should we continue...?

There you go again. Points? For a 4th line center, we're talking about the points they can put up? FFS. Do people realize that there's more to hockey than points?

And save me the line that the Amerks' entire turnaround is due to Kevin Porter. While he may be a part of it, they added Pardy and Rissmiller, removed JGL from the lineup, and the rest of the league also lost a lot of talent, just like Rochester did--including their chief rival, the Marlies.

He is a much better PKer than Porter. The Avs didn't even use him in such a role because he wasn't good at it. Also, you must be saying Pominville is a crappy PKer considering he's been the ice for the most PPG against.

I'm sure opponents will be quaking in their boots when Kevin "I averaged 22 PIMs per season in the NHL" Porter comes bearing down on the forecheck.

The fact that Porter isn't an NHL player. Quadruple-A.
What is it about Jochen Hecht's game that leads you to believe he's a better option for the Sabres 4th line than Kevin Porter?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'm with Zip on this one. Hecht is still doing a good job killing penalties, I think. His offense and skating have looked surprisingly bad, but I don't see any better options at the moment. I'm pretty sure if Grigorenko starts playing better hockey, his ice-time will increase.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
What is it about Jochen Hecht's game that leads you to believe he's a better option for the Sabres 4th line than Kevin Porter?

Who else do we have? And I dispute your premise that if someone has to come out of the forwards lineup that it's Hecht, because I'd remove Scott, Gerbe, McCormick, and Grigorenko (who, if you didn't know, I think should be playing junior hockey) before I removed Hecht.

Hecht is a good penalty-killer. It's also a fact that we don't get scored on much when he's on the ice. Some might poo poo that fact, but only one team in the entire conference has surrendered more goals than we have, so we're not exactly swimming in good defensive forwards. Those things alone justify a $1m salary (less than 1.5% of our entire cap).

On the list of problems this team has, Hecht and ice time don't rank in the top-30.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
I gave you a response. Now go build your NHL bottom-6's around the Jason Krogs and Darren Haydars of the world, because "they score points in the AHL," or whatever logic you're using for Porter. That's actually an insult to Haydar and Krog, because at least they were elite AHL players at one time.
Better than Ellis, Hecht, and McCormick. But go ahead and feel like you're correct because you've quoted a couple Av's fans.

I listed a lot more reasons than points for Porter. Hecht would put up a lot of points in the AHL too. Waive him today, and he'll be in Rochester tomorrow. Bring up nobody, and the Sabres win column would be no different. But let's just keep making arguments to support trotting out the same, old, tired, "safe" losers.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Better than Ellis, Hecht, and McCormick. But go ahead and feel like you're correct because you've quoted a couple Av's fans.

Sure he is. That's why 30 GMs tripped over themselves to give Porter a one-way deal this year. Oh wait...

I listed a lot more reasons than points for Porter. Hecht would put up a lot of points in the AHL too. Waive him today, and he'll be in Rochester tomorrow. Bring up nobody, and the Sabres win column would be no different. But let's just keep making arguments to support trotting out the same, old, tired, "safe" losers.

Yawn. Same arguments, new poster. Maybe we can get rid of all our underperformers and call up our high-scoring AHL forwards. Everything will be better then.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
More from Avs fans, this time in the thread where it was announced we signed him:

Keep him in the minors.

Just wanted to tell you guys that it'd probably be best if this was an AHL signing, he was awful when he was with us.

He and Yip were the biggest reasons Stastny's assist numbers took a big hit. I like your team, but Kevin ''I played great'' Porter is a terrible NHLer and he can't stop rambling on about Michigan and how great it is there, I'm glad he's gone.

Colorado fan here. Porter is the most average player in every regard that I have ever seen. Did nothing well, did nothing terribly. Can score, pass, hit, skate, and forecheck, but will never be the best at it on any NHL team. He can play on a scoring line, but you don't want him there unless better players are injured. He can play on the PK, but you don't want him there unless better players are injured. Will almost certainly never be remembered in any game (though he did score an OT winner once). I won't tell Sabres fans to be happy about it but I won't tell them to be dismayed either.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=52379553

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Sure he is. That's why 30 GMs tripped over themselves to give Porter a one-way deal this year. Oh wait...

Yawn. Same arguments, new poster. Maybe we can get rid of all our underperformers and call up our high-scoring AHL forwards. Everything will be better then.
Where would Hecht be if he wasn't in Buffalo, expert? Would 29 GM's have tripped over themselves to sign him? Oh wait..

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I said to call up 1 forward from the AHL, and play him over Hecht, McCormick, or Ellis, or fill in some other 4th line warm body that the Sabres are using here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Kevin Porter is an NHL player on a last place team.

He would have more goals than Stafford and Hecht combined if he got half their ice time.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Kevin Porter is an NHL player on a last place team.

He would have more goals than Stafford and Hecht combined if he got half their ice time.

Since we're now engaging in bald speculation, I'll counter that by saying we'd be giving up a goal/game more if Porter was in there in place of Hecht. In half the ice time. Prove me wrong.

He also got non-tendered by the team that was 15th in the West heading into last night. What a player!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad