Confirmed with Link: Jochen Hecht - 1 year, $1 million cap hit

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
If Jochen is an AHL player now, then I guess those 2 Bruins he out-skated at the end of the period must be ECHL players. It's funny how ECHL'ers at the top of the conference(league).

lol

I'm smelling blind rage.

To answer your first question, in your prior post, yes, Lindy Ruff is that awful.

Secondly, out-skating a couple of players doesn't mean that he should be here. Matt Ellis out-hustles a lot of players. Want him back up?

AlexanderMogilny89

Oct 19, 2011
Why am I wrong, Zip? Which teams were lining up to sign Jochen Hecht other than his best buddies running the Sabres hockey operations?

There is absolutely no doubt that this NHL city is the only NHL city he would be playing in during the 2012-13 season.

He does nothing positive for the advancement of this team.

Reminds me of someone on the Bills. Pickspatrick anyone?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Hecht is a little bit better than Ellis, but it's obvious his good days are long gone. He's adequate defensively, but he can't forecheck worth a damn. That was his bread and butter. Without that he's pretty much useless. Except to the Sabres; they need all the defensive help they can get.

AlexanderMogilny89

Oct 19, 2011
He's just not strong or that tough in the corners anymore. Actually anywhere on the ice. He likes taking shots from far away from the net also. He can't get close cause he'll get taken off the puck with ease. Which leads to his far away shots that end up no where near the net. I was very disappointed he was still on the team this year. Sabres imo still need a center and some more toughness on the 2nd or 3rd line. I would have liked Arnott for a year or 2 until Girgensons is ready. JMO.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
What a ringing endorsement to keep playing Jochen Hecht. Hell of an argument, Zip.

Hence my point. His presence is pointless. Give someone else a chance to play at 5 on 5. Never should have brought him back. The Sabres are in 15th place in the conference. But I guess Kevin Porter would make us soooo much worse.

Took me a while to find this, but if we're supposed to be a tougher team, how does waiving McCormick(toughness and signed next season), and keeping Hecht, just to get a look at Porter seem like the right move to attain the goal of team toughness. It could end up at the end of the year that Porter is what ya thought he was, Hecht plays in DEL, and McCormick is on a eastern team beating up Kaleta??

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Took me a while to find this, but if we're supposed to be a tougher team, how does waiving McCormick(toughness and signed next season), and keeping Hecht, just to get a look at Porter seem like the right move to attain the goal of team toughness. It could end up at the end of the year that Porter is what ya thought he was, Hecht plays in DEL, and McCormick is on a eastern team beating up Kaleta??
They definitely waived the wrong guy. Hecht's play should have proven to everyone last night, even guys like Zip and Jame, that he really isn't an NHL player anymore. Better late than never. Definitely should have been Hecht who was sent down.

But, glad to see Porter finally get a shot to play in the Sabres bottom 6.

McCormick didn't deserve to be sent down, however.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
They definitely waived the wrong guy. Hecht's play should have proven to everyone last night, even guys like Zip and Jame, that he really isn't an NHL player anymore. Better late than never. Definitely should have been Hecht who was sent down.

We disagree about Hecht having any role on any NHL team, but in total agreement that if we lose Cody(esp to an east team), then we waived the wrong guy. In fact, at the deadline, I believe we may have gotten a 4th or 5th for Jochen as depth on an injury laden contender. Remember, Goose got a 1st.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

No, but thanks for speaking for me.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
No, but thanks for speaking for me.
Purposely giving the puck back to the opposition to avoid a normal body check was lost on you? Unfortunate. Like I said....Playing like he's already retired.

But I'm sure there has to be some advanced stats you can find to keep your Hecht dream alive.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Purposely giving the puck back to the opposition to avoid a normal body check was lost on you? Unfortunate. Like I said....Playing like he's already retired.

But I'm sure there has to be some advanced stats you can find to keep your Hecht dream alive.

Still not getting scored on when he's out there. But I'm sure that's lost on you as you salivate about Kevin Porter's long-awaited Sabres debut (by you, and only you) tomorrow night.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
I still don't get how Hecht is the problem on this team... Yes he has lost almost all offensive instincts at this point in his career (not that he ever had that many), but he still has about twice as many points as almost every other bottom-six player on this team! Only Ott has more points with 7 and after Hechts 5 points there is only Grigorenko with 3 and Gerbe with 2, the rest doesn't even have a single Goal OR Assist! Maybe Hecht is bad but our other Options seem to be even worse at this point.
Maybe Porter can change that, I'll certainly root for him although I doubt he'll have much of an impact, but even if he does I think it's pretty stupid how some people here seem to think that the best way to support their favorite player is to trash another player on our team.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I still don't get how Hecht is the problem on this team...

In his current role, for his current salary, he is not a problem at all.
He's still an excellent PKer, and a decent bottom-6 player, even if he does look to have lost all of his ability to score weird and dirty goals.

Problem is, most of these guys are playing poor hockey, and it's easier to have a scapegoat or two and harp on them...

For 1 million, 1 year, I'm actually pleased with Hecht.
Of course, you can only be pleased with him if you didn't expect some weird massive offensive contribution.

It's gonna be interesting to see if Rolston plays him as much as Ruff did. :p:

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
I still don't get how Hecht is the problem on this team... Yes he has lost almost all offensive instincts at this point in his career (not that he ever had that many), but he still has about twice as many points as almost every other bottom-six player on this team! Only Ott has more points with 7 and after Hechts 5 points there is only Grigorenko with 3 and Gerbe with 2, the rest doesn't even have a single Goal OR Assist! Maybe Hecht is bad but our other Options seem to be even worse at this point.
Maybe Porter can change that, I'll certainly root for him although I doubt he'll have much of an impact, but even if he does I think it's pretty stupid how some people here seem to think that the best way to support their favorite player is to trash another player on our team.
My favorite player is Christian Ehrhoff. I've got no feelings for Kevin Porter as a player, other than fully believing that he will bring more positive influence to this team than Jochen Hecht does at this stage of his career.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Still not getting scored on when he's out there. But I'm sure that's lost on you as you salivate about Kevin Porter's long-awaited Sabres debut (by you, and only you) tomorrow night.
Everything aside from advanced stats appear to be lost on you.

Advanced stats are a solid tool, but that is all. They absolutely do not tell the entire story of any player.

And please...Save the hyperbole. No one is salivating over Porter getting a shot.

But go ahead and argue it's not deserved...Do you actually believe it's not deserved?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Everything aside from advanced stats appear to be lost on you.

Advanced stats are a solid tool, but that is all. They absolutely do not tell the entire story of any player.

I do look at other things, sure. I've seen the unwillingness to engage in puck battles and, at times, refusal to take a hit to maybe make a better play. But I also think you underestimate subjective things like his calmness when the puck is on his stick in the defensive zone.

I don't think Hecht is a perfect player by any stretch. I've said on numerous occasions that he should be on a 4th line, and would be but for poor roster-building by Regier--and everyone can agree that isn't Hecht's or any player's fault. At the same time, I think he's been fine in his role--which is all you can ask of a role player. He's neither expected to be, nor compensated to be one of the team's bellcows. On the list of the team's problems, I don't think he's near the top.

And please...Save the hyperbole. No one is salivating over Porter getting a shot.

But go ahead and argue it's not deserved...Do you actually believe it's not deserved?

I'm actually fine with it. He may give us a bump in the first few games, but those players tend to level out over time. Over the long-term, I don't see him making a big difference one way or another.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
A team in our situation has no role for an old, defensive 20 pt forward. We're better of evaluating other players who may actually make the club next season. This is basically a paychex(pi) for Hecht to make sure we stay around 10th in the draft. That's awesome, huh? If some other team with a shot at a run gets a 3rd liner injured, then Hecht has a role somewhere, but he just don't have one here, other than maybe being turned into a 5th round pick.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
A team in our situation has no role for an old, defensive 20 pt forward. We're better of evaluating other players who may actually make the club next season. This is basically a paychex(pi) for Hecht to make sure we stay around 10th in the draft. That's awesome, huh? If some other team with a shot at a run gets a 3rd liner injured, then Hecht has a role somewhere, but he just don't have one here, other than maybe being turned into a 5th round pick.

Considering he's already signed and it's only a 1 year deal, his role for the remainder of the season is training and helping the younger guys. You might be able to swing him at the deadline for something, but I highly doubt it.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
I do look at other things, sure. I've seen the unwillingness to engage in puck battles and, at times, refusal to take a hit to maybe make a better play. But I also think you underestimate subjective things like his calmness when the puck is on his stick in the defensive zone.

I don't think Hecht is a perfect player by any stretch. I've said on numerous occasions that he should be on a 4th line, and would be but for poor roster-building by Regier--and everyone can agree that isn't Hecht's or any player's fault. At the same time, I think he's been fine in his role--which is all you can ask of a role player. He's neither expected to be, nor compensated to be one of the team's bellcows. On the list of the team's problems, I don't think he's near the top.

I'm actually fine with it. He may give us a bump in the first few games, but those players tend to level out over time. Over the long-term, I don't see him making a big difference one way or another.
Now this is real hockey conversation. I'll drop the sarcastic tone as well.

I like how Hecht can still carry the puck. He's still the smooth skater he always was. He's still exceptional with the puck on his stick between the blue lines. He still knows where to be in the defensive zone, specifically on the penalty kill. But that's a trait that can be taught to any intelligent player. Those are really the only positives I've seen in his game.

I definitely didn't want him back, and couldn't believe it when the news came in that he had agreed to a 1 year deal. I chalked it up to typical Lindy playing his typical player favorites game again; and I know you agree that Lindy has over-used him. I really don't think Hecht would be in the NHL if the Sabres had fired Ruff at the end of last season. Of course, I can't prove that. But it's extremely likely to have been the case.

As for the list of the team's problems, I look at Hecht as a great example of the Buffalo Sabres issues, up until they fired Ruff yesterday. In my opinion, he didn't deserve to come back and I'm frankly surprised that this organization was willing to possibly risk the man's entire life after hockey by allowing him to come back. It's a move that reeked of desperation. It reeked of staleness, and it is quite stale. Even before his multiple concussions last year, he was a shell of himself. He's far too soft, he's not a leader by any stretch of the imagination, and for a solid penalty killer, he's not at all a shot blocker. He's not been a player that goes to the tough areas of the ice, nor does he pay the price that this team sorely needs its players to pay.

On to Porter, he'll actually bring those intangibles. The leadership by example. The willingness to pay the price..going hard to the dirty areas..making it tougher to play against this team, etc. Hecht doesn't make it hard for anyone to play against this team. He actually makes it easier.

There is a small chance that Kevin Porter sticks, and that alone makes him more valuable than Hecht for me. Hecht probably won't even finish the season here, and it won't be because of injury. There's a small chance that Porter rediscovers his game at the NHL level as well. I didn't want the presence players like Hecht to prevent that possibilty from happening.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Considering he's already signed and it's only a 1 year deal, his role for the remainder of the season is training and helping the younger guys. You might be able to swing him at the deadline for something, but I highly doubt it.
That'd be great. But I honestly believe that if you waived Hecht today, he'd be in Rochester tomorrow.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
A team in our situation has no role for an old, defensive 20 pt forward. We're better of evaluating other players who may actually make the club next season. This is basically a paychex(pi) for Hecht
Totally agree with this.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I like how Hecht can still carry the puck. He's still the smooth skater he always was. He's still exceptional with the puck on his stick between the blue lines. He still knows where to be in the defensive zone, specifically on the penalty kill. But that's a trait that can be taught to any intelligent player.

Well then the NHL is filled with dumb people, apparently.
Hecht's defensive and responsible game was a notch above anyone in Buffalo for the last decade, including Drury.

As for Porter... I don't see him as anything other than a 12th/13th forward.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Well then the NHL is filled with dumb people, apparently.
Hecht's defensive and responsible game was a notch above anyone in Buffalo for the last decade, including Drury.

As for Porter... I don't see him as anything other than a 12th/13th forward.
I don't see Porter as anymore than a 12th or 13th forward either. Better him than Jochen. That's all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad