Jiri Sekac potential

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
He draws Plecky to start the year I'm sure.
Does he get AG or RB is the question.

Well if it was my decision Sekac would be playing LW his preferred position and Rene Bourque on RW his preferred position, This would give the Habs another line that can produce offensively and play well defensively.:nod:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That could be scary because Max Pac without his shot/release doesn't bring much to the game...

That said, I do agree that Sekac could look very good with DD and Max Pac. I'm still doubting Sekac's finishing skills, but he protects the puck real good, better than Max Pac I would say (true it's just pre-season), and he looks hard to knock off the puck. He could be a very good complement to that line, and I could see it working better than with PAP.

If Max was a 20 goal scorer instead of 39 goal scorer, he'd still be an above average NHLer...size and speed, solid 2 way player. His shot and release make him a 1st liner.

Lemons

Mar 26, 2008
Im thinking he puts up 35-40 points this season, hoping he'll pot at least 15 goals with the limited ice-time he's likely going to get. He's going to turn out to be a solid player and already has the CPU to play at the NHL level it seems.

Once he gets more experience, gain understanding of the players in the league and adds 10-12 pounds of lean muscle he's going to be a wicked 2-way top 6

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Jan Bulis. All flash no finish. I hope I'm wrong.

Basically. For what it's worth though, I was a big fan of Jan Bulis. The problem with him is that he refused that he was a 3rd liner and wanted too much ice time... on a 3rd line he was great.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Looking at Jiri's Mug, AG will hit thirty before he looks that mature... LOL
Scherbie maybe never.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-nhl/215864/sekac-udivuje-montreal-potrebuje-vic-svalu-rika-kouc-jandac.html

A short interview with Sekáč's former coach in the KHL. He says he's always been a hard-working and ambitious kid, though a bit rash at times (off-ice), prone to leaving things in hotels or being late at team appointments. Also says that Sekáč is having a good preseason but this should not be overestimated as he still has a lot to prove.

According to the coach, Sekáč's main asset is his skating and he's not afraid to make plays. He should work on his finishing abilities, his release is still not quick enough. He's conditioned very well (he's got a "spider-like frame", similar to a cross-country runner) but he could stand to gain a bit more muscle.

Last edited:

habitue*

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-nhl/215864/sekac-udivuje-montreal-potrebuje-vic-svalu-rika-kouc-jandac.html

A short interview with Sekáč's former coach in the KHL. He says he's always been a hard-working and ambitious kid, though a bit rash at times (off-ice), prone to leaving things in hotels or being late at team appointments. Also says that Sekáč is having a good preseason but this should not be overestimated as he still has a lot to prove.

According to the coach, Sekáč's main asset is his skating and he's not afraid to make plays. He should work on his finishing abilities, his release is still not quick enough. He's conditioned very well (he's got a "spider-like frame", similar to a cross-country runner) but he could stand to gain a bit more muscle.

Interesting report. Thanks.

Let's not put our hopes too high. Anything above 25-30 points wil be gravy.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
It's impossible to predict what kind of player he'll become after only seeing him in the preseason and given that he's only 22.

But, as far as his high end potential is concerned, the sky's the limit. He seems better than Max Pacioretty at the same age and reminds me of him, without the shot.

At worst I think he'll be a 15 goal two way guy. At best, as I said the sky's the limit.

I'm hoping for 40 points from him. He makes so much happen he'll at least get a lot of assists. He's no Todd Marchand or Jan Bullis (fast but no hands).

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
What are the odds he'll be a better asset than Gionta?

What we really need is someone to replace what Vanek brought at the end of the regular season last year. And, we need that player to continue playing like that in the playoffs.

I doubt Sekac will do that his first year. The only player capable of doing that imo is...Galchenyuk. Hopefully Sekac can then bring what Galchenyuk brought last year and Parenteau can bring more than Gionta (or Thomas or Andrighetto can do so if PAP falters).

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's impossible to predict what kind of player he'll become after only seeing him in the preseason and given that he's only 22.

But, as far as his high end potential is concerned, the sky's the limit. He seems better than Max Pacioretty at the same age and reminds me of him, without the shot.

At worst I think he'll be a 15 goal two way guy. At best, as I said the sky's the limit.

I'm hoping for 40 points from him. He makes so much happen he'll at least get a lot of assists. He's no Todd Marchand or Jan Bullis (fast but no hands).

Sekac and De La Rose both remind me of Lars Eller type players. Am I way off to think this way?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I can't remember being that hyped up for a rookie after their 1st camp. Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Latendresse did great but nothing like this. (yes i know he's 22)

His high stamina, never stop engine and size is exactly what we need. The way he can cut plays and create turnovers will make him a coach favorite. He can easily pass the puck and read the play. I need to see more of his shot but so far so good. All those assets will land him on the 1st line before the season is over.

He will spend the entire year in MTL and people will quickly forget Gionta, imo. I predict a ~40pts rookie year for Sekac.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

Pacioretty at 22 was playing the season where he was breaking out before getting injured by Chara and he was playing at a 53 point pace, so I don't really see Sekac being better than him at the same age, although it would be amazing if he was.

eastcoast72

Sep 19, 2011
I addressed my take on Sekac in the PGT after the Chicago road game.
As far as I was concerned that particular game was his FIRST true test of his abilities to adapt to the NHL game
And he failed miserably.

That Hawks line-up he was up against that night was perhaps the most elite hockey talent he's ever faced in his young pro career - Kane, Toews, Sharp, Keith, etc.
Sekac was ineffective and pretty much a non-factor all night. His skating was choppy and seemed overwhelmed when the Hawks had a good cycle going. He got beat and lost possession to the pinching Hawks D-Men a half dozen times throughout the game. Yes, he came off the bench, picked up a nice feed and let go a howitzer during one play but that was really it.

So, it was no surprise when MT pulled him off that first line to start the 3rd period
and replaced him with Thomas who managed to generate more chemistry on that 1st line with one shift than Sekac did the previous two periods combined.

It is so obvious how MB and his coaching staff has laid the red carpet out for the so-called highly touted free agent since day one. And to make the transition even easier (i.e sweeten the pot), MT has pretty much started him on a line with NHL vets for every single pre-season match, thus far.

Training camp is now over.
The games are for real.

There will be expectations from Sekac to adapt to the NHL game sooner than later. But, unfortunately, for 6'2" Sekac, when the stage gets bigger, he plays smaller. Reports out of the KHL say that he disappeared during last season's KHL play-off run. Don't take my word for it - just look no further than his 1 goal in 21 play-off games for proof.

Overall, I am baffled by the relentless praise Sekac has received on this board.
Yeah, it's easy to get all googly eyes when a 6'2" right winger replaces a 5'7" smurf (Gionta) but all I really see is a big body forward with "rough around the edges" talent.

Watching Sekac play throughout training camp proves that he is absolutely a bona-fide NHL prospect, and not (yet) an NHL player.....and prospects stand to gain more by playing in the AHL.

As a Habs fan, sure I'd love to see him prove me wrong and rack up a formidable
40 point season as a rookie but I don't see it happening given his skill set.

My prediction ?
Sekac will endure far more bad games than good games as the season progresses.
Remember, the KHL plays only 54 games and he, personally, has yet to play more than 47 games/season the last 3 years of his short pro career.
But he will wear a Habs jersey most of the season, with Thomas occasionally taking his spot when Sekac disappears from the score sheet for an extended period of time.

2014-15 Stats:
GP - 58 games
G - 5
A - 11
Pts - 16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad