Jiri Sekac potential

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I addressed my take on Sekac in the PGT after the Chicago road game.
As far as I was concerned that particular game was his FIRST true test of his abilities to adapt to the NHL game
And he failed miserably.

That Hawks line-up he was up against that night was perhaps the most elite hockey talent he's ever faced in his young pro career - Kane, Toews, Sharp, Keith, etc.
Sekac was ineffective and pretty much a non-factor all night. His skating was choppy and seemed overwhelmed when the Hawks had a good cycle going. He got beat and lost possession to the pinching Hawks D-Men a half dozen times throughout the game. Yes, he came off the bench, picked up a nice feed and let go a howitzer during one play but that was really it.

So, it was no surprise when MT pulled him off that first line to start the 3rd period
and replaced him with Thomas who managed to generate more chemistry on that 1st line with one shift than Sekac did the previous two periods combined.

It is so obvious how MB and his coaching staff has laid the red carpet out for the so-called highly touted free agent since day one. And to make the transition even easier (i.e sweeten the pot), MT has pretty much started him on a line with NHL vets for every single pre-season match, thus far.

Training camp is now over.
The games are for real.

There will be expectations from Sekac to adapt to the NHL game sooner than later. But, unfortunately, for 6'2" Sekac, when the stage gets bigger, he plays smaller. Reports out of the KHL say that he disappeared during last season's KHL play-off run. Don't take my word for it - just look no further than his 1 goal in 21 play-off games for proof.

Overall, I am baffled by the relentless praise Sekac has received on this board.
Yeah, it's easy to get all googly eyes when a 6'2" right winger replaces a 5'7" smurf (Gionta) but all I really see is a big body forward with "rough around the edges" talent.

Watching Sekac play throughout training camp proves that he is absolutely a bona-fide NHL prospect, and not (yet) an NHL player.....and prospects stand to gain more by playing in the AHL.

As a Habs fan, sure I'd love to see him prove me wrong and rack up a formidable
40 point season as a rookie but I don't see it happening given his skill set.

My prediction ?
Sekac will endure far more bad games than good games as the season progresses.
Remember, the KHL plays only 54 games and he, personally, has yet to play more than 47 games/season the last 3 years of his short pro career.
But he will wear a Habs jersey most of the season, with Thomas occasionally taking his spot when Sekac disappears from the score sheet for an extended period of time.

2014-15 Stats:
GP - 58 games
G - 5
A - 11
Pts - 16

Were your Posts one and two a little more flattering than this one?
Sekac take your job or something?

Pshaw..

Timelord

Stanley Cup polisher
Dec 18, 2011
Sekac and De La Rose both remind me of Lars Eller type players. Am I way off to think this way?

They're all big, fast european guys but from what I've seen so far, Sekac has better vision than Eller, while DLR has a simpler game and is more established as a defensive or two-way player at an early stage in his career.

Even though he scored twice with no assists in his 5 games, Sekac was a more consistent playmaker than a scorer, I thought. He set up several AHL & NHL linemates beautifully in the slot (including in the last game Patches who got fancy, passing off to Desharnais who fanned) but they all simply missed the mark.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
So, it was no surprise when MT pulled him off that first line to start the 3rd period
and replaced him with Thomas who managed to generate more chemistry on that 1st line with one shift than Sekac did the previous two periods combined.

He had zero chemistry with Eller and Bourque that night. Yes Thomas got that line going when switched with Sekac. But Sekac got the line that Thomas was previously on going too. It's a matter of chemistry, not who's better.

I don't like the chemistry of the 1st and 2nd lines Therien plans to start the season with. I think Sekac and PAP should be switched, at minimum. But it will take a few weeks to find the right combos. I just hope MT doesn't wait as long to change things as he did last year with Briere.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He had zero chemistry with Eller and Bourque that night. Yes Thomas got that line going when switched with Sekac. But Sekac got the line that Thomas was previously on going too. It's a matter of chemistry, not who's better.

I don't like the chemistry of the 1st and 2nd lines Therien plans to start the season with. I think Sekac and PAP should be switched, at minimum. But it will take a few weeks to find the right combos. I just hope MT doesn't wait as long to change things as he did last year with Briere.

The unwillingness of MT to try anything is baffling.
The more parts he gets the tighter he holds on to his idea of how thing need to go.
It is actually pathetic. Does anyone know if our top goal scorer can play with others nicely? :rant:

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
In my opinion Sekac will finish the year with Plekanek and Galchenyuk. If that is the case I predict he will have a very successfull season. It all depends on how long MT will wait before putting Gallagher on the top line with Desharnais and Pacioretty....

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
In my opinion Sekac will finish the year with Plekanek and Galchenyuk. If that is the case I predict he will have a very successfull season. It all depends on how long MT will wait before putting Gallagher on the top line with Desharnais and Pacioretty....

Ah Brendan...
Gallagher is not a great fit for the Dynamic Duo. He was a spark and now needs to play elsewhere.
PAP will probably not be a good fit for the Dynamic Duo. We have no clue as to who is a good fit for the Dynamic Duo. We've tried and given everything to that line for 3yrs still nothing...?
Jump straight to Sekac if he doesn't work dismantle...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad