Jiri Sekac potential

dolomite

Feb 11, 2013
7C

Seen his d-camp videos and looked pretty solid... He can move shoot and pass and has a big body for puck protection maybe add some muscles for stability but otherwise with an couple empty slots around vanek/gionta departure he may be a lock this year

Top 6? Bottom 6?probably subject to be shuffled around throughout season what do u guys think

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
So early to tell. H'es not the first highly touted free agent from europe to try the NHL. Most have failed. The only positive I see right now is that he's willing to go to AHL if needed.

For now, he's somewhere between Fabian Brunnstrom and Corey Perry.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm always skeptic about those undrafted europeans. I remember the big talks about Diaz when we first signed him, was supposed to be even better than Streit according to some media.

It's all depend on how he adjust to the NHL.
But i think he could become a "middle 6 player"

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I'd say in a similar impact of a Pascal Dupuis/Alex Burrows. Can keep up offensively in a top 6 role while providing solid defense and effort every shift.

if we're lucky he might even turn into a Jake Voracek ;)

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I'd say in a similar impact of a Pascal Dupuis/Alex Burrows. Can keep up offensively in a top 6 role while providing solid defense and effort every shift.

if we're lucky he might even turn into a Jake Voracek ;)

Un undrafted europeen having an impact like Dupuis or Burrows would be HUGE, and Habs would be lucky.

Like I said, most of these players (undrafted europeen) fail to make it.

dolomite

Feb 11, 2013
Some of nice panned out versions of undrafted eurod now include mats zuccarello (love that guys game... Hes only 5'7" too), Damien brunner (meh) and nice undrafted ncaa guys like tyler bozak and danny dekeyser comes to mind so far.. Michael raffl also deserves a mention for flyers. Hoping for sekac to take the next step

Last edited:

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I'm always skeptic about those undrafted europeans. I remember the big talks about Diaz when we first signed him, was supposed to be even better than Streit according to some media.

It's all depend on how he adjust to the NHL.
But i think he could become a "middle 6 player"

Diaz was great in his first year before getting rocked and put out with a concussion. After that he was never really the same. Was afraid to get hit and often threw the puck away to avoid contact.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Honestly if he can just use his size and speed we'll be more than satisfied. He obviously doesn't have to be a star, but we need him to help finish plays, create space, and be the guy that can finally gel with Plekanec long term

PricePkPatch*

He is a free asset that will give us more than he cost us, in any outcome possible.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
If he does earn a spot out of camp, I'd love to see him with Eller and Gallagher.

Interesting, they would form a solid 2nd / 3rd line.

I'd love to have Sekac and Eller's size and speed on the 3rd line. They'd be a terror when matched up vs most other 3rd lines in the east. It would also allow Eller to finally have a stable winger to form some chemistry with.

I'm thinking Sekac can put up ~30-35 points while being a solid possession player.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
He's a rookie that will need to adjust his game to our NA rinks and the speed of the game due to that and the quality of NHL players. The Habs usually break rookies into play slowly in situations that help build their confidence, 3rd line duties & minutes gives them a better opportunity to adjust. Plus they can see where in his development Jiri is in comparison, similar to Kuznetsov in Washington last year, not saying he's anywhere near Kuznetsov's talent level.

Pre-season games will give them some insight, but playing in regular season games will be the real testing ground for Sekac. The upside is that so many NHL teams had interest in signing him, he must have a significant chance of becoming an NHLer. There isn't any absolute necessity in rushing him, ruining his confidence and losing a promising young talent, IMHO.:nod:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Interesting, they would form a solid 2nd / 3rd line.

I'd love to have Sekac and Eller's size and speed on the 3rd line. They'd be a terror when matched up vs most other 3rd lines in the east. It would also allow Eller to finally have a stable winger to form some chemistry with.

I'm thinking Sekac can put up ~30-35 points while being a solid possession player.

That's my belief as well, on top of having some sick puck moving skills. There's no doubt they would own their opposition if they got 3rd line match ups. Eller-Gallagher alone could dominate their opposition, so if Sekac is this good sized fast winger with decent offensive skill, they could make a solid trio.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Janne Lahti?

Hard to tell if he is NHL material or another overhyped, undrafted European like Janne Lahti....that's why they have training camp!

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If he does earn a spot out of camp, I'd love to see him with Eller and Gallagher.

I assume that means

Patch - DD - PAP
Sekac - Eller - Gally
Galchy - Pleks - Bourque

I don't mind this except Galchy is still on the wing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I assume that means

Patch - DD - PAP
Sekac - Eller - Gally
Galchy - Pleks - Bourque

I would move DD to the wing and make Plek center him and Max.
Max-Plek-DD
Sekac - Eller - Gally
Bourque - Galchenyuk - PAP

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I saw some reports of scouts saying he could instantly jump into the top six on our team, which would be great. Top nine would be good. Hopefully he doesn't bust like a lot of these European free agents seem to do.

habitue*

I assume that means

Patch - DD - PAP
Sekac - Eller - Gally
Galchy - Pleks - Bourque

Patch-DD-Galchenyuk (best PP you can buy)
Bourque-Plekky-PAP (Plekky prefers to play with vets players)
Sekac-Eller-Gally (If Secak fails, Bournival could be the solution here on lw)
Bournival-Malhotra-Weise
Moen-Prust

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I have a very strong feeling that he starts on the Habs this year and sees no AHL time. I remember Bob McKenzie reporting that approx fifteen teams wanted to sign him. I am pretty sure that he would have took an offer that had him playing in the NHL. If he was that highly touted with that much interest I am sure that other teams would have offered that as well.

I look at him as a free prospect/player. If he contributes then great. It is just an added bonus. If he flops the Habs have nothing invested in him. No draft pick I mean.

I do not like how a lot of people are placing him on Plekanec's line. Plekanec is the Habs best two way forward and plays against other teams top lines. I know that both players are Czech and May have that connection but I am not sure that Sekac can handle that duty already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad