OT: Jimmy Vesey discussion continues ... Pt 2 (Signs with NYR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Would've loved Vesey, but it doesn't really matter that much. In terms of signing UFAs from outside the league, I'll take Zaitsev over Vesey any day of the week.

Mr Hockey*

Would've loved Vesey, but it doesn't really matter that much. In terms of signing UFAs from outside the league, I'll take Zaitsev over Vesey any day of the week.

When you already have a Ferrari, Porsche and Lambo parked in your driveway, missing out on adding a Vette is meh :nod:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm comfortable that the Leafs gave it a good shot. Good luck to Jimmy Vesey (except against the Leafs). I hope Nolan develops into a good prospect, makes the Leafs and becomes the better Vesey playing in the NHL. Remember where you heard this first:)

IMO you guys made the most sense for Vesey with Rangers in 2nd.

His dad, his brother, up and coming team.

Mr Hockey*

Only these guys played against tougher match ups than Grabner, last season.

1. JAKOB SILFVERBERG
  2. RYAN KESLER
  3. MARIAN HOSSA
  4. JOAKIM NORDSTROM
  5. ANDREW COGLIANO
  6. JONATHAN TOEWS
  7. PATRICE BERGERON
  8. LEO KOMAROV
  9. JORDAN STAAL
  10. NAZEM KADRI << <<
  11. TRAVIS ZAJAC
  12. MICHAEL GRABNER

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I had a feeling NYR was his most likely landing spot. When he uses his Harvard degree to get a cushy job on Wall Street 5 or 10 years from now, the best thing he could ever put on his resume is that he played for the local New York Rangers. Until then, he can live the high life in the most happening city in the world.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i don't think nolan will develop into anything but we'll see. his brother should be top 9.

dakota might have some potential as well as pichininch, but i doubt it. burke's drafting is worse than jfr's i think. pinchininch might end up a fourth linter, but he has to get past

leivo, leipsic, engvall, lindberg, hymen, as well as timashov, brown, johnson, dzierkals, bracco, korshov, rychel etc. they are far behind the curve.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
i don't think nolan will develop into anything but we'll see. his brother should be top 9.

dakota might have some potential as well as pichininch, but i doubt it. burke's drafting is worse than jfr's i think. pinchininch might end up a fourth linter, but he has to get past

leivo, leipsic, engvall, lindberg, hymen, as well as timashov, brown, johnson, dzierkals, bracco, korshov, rychel etc. they are far behind the curve.

he wanted to play with his buddy ........truth be told it was kind embarrassing the courting that went ,this kid better produce ,they supposedly dragged pat kane off the golfcourse to help recruit him ....lmao

he was really really attractive because he was free cheap free wallet ,we got zaitsev and some reports say hes the real deal already

I'm sure Vesey ;s dad and brother knew his true destination ,it was certain teams duty to their fanbase to make a pitch
good luck to the kid ,

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
It was Lou's hair policy. Vesey wants to grow his hair out like Mika Zibanejad, Matts Zucarello, etc. Looking at those guys, maybe Lou's policy makes some sense.....

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So what do people believe is the over/under number of days before his father is fired and his brother is punted as a prospect? I know his brother was never going to be offered a contract but do you think he is dumped/traded from our pool.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Based on the fact that 1/2 the NHL had interest and wanted to sign him and he was highly regarded this is a big win for the NYR and and a loss for all the rest.

Vesey would have looked good putting up 20-25 goals (as being projected) on LW.

Shanny and company must be disappointed also, as they hoped the family influence they created father and brother would have swayed the decision in their favour.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So what do people believe is the over/under number of days before his father is fired and his brother is punted as a prospect? I know his brother was never going to be offered a contract but do you think he is dumped/traded from our pool.

OR...OR...OR...OR.. MAYBE...just MAYBE... They value his father for more than trying to sign Jimmy Vesey? It's not like regional scouts have ever been a thing among NHL teams... right? RIGHT?

That's just a MAYBE though...

I'm amazed how some think they signed a scout just to try to sign one of his sons. Amazing stuff.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
I had a feeling NYR was his most likely landing spot. When he uses his Harvard degree to get a cushy job on Wall Street 5 or 10 years from now, the best thing he could ever put on his resume is that he played for the local New York Rangers. Until then, he can live the high life in the most happening city in the world.

Pretty much, but as a hockey move, I kind of scratch my head.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Rangers get who they want
No surprise here we didn't get him
It was amusing though reading some of the posts declaring he was coming here :)

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
OR...OR...OR...OR.. MAYBE...just MAYBE... They value his father for more than trying to sign Jimmy Vesey? It's not like regional scouts have ever been a thing among NHL teams... right? RIGHT?

I'm amazed how some think they signed a scout just to try to sign one of his sons. Amazing stuff.

It's great to think world is all sunshine and lollipops but I tend to be a bit more cynical and believe the underlying reason his father and his brother were brought in was with the objective of helping sign him.

We will find out soon enough!
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

to be fair.
(and i am not saying that i agree with the stupid theory) - Hunter has done things like this before, someone had said it was like on a TSN hit or something. He's hired people who have connections to the players that he wants, and he gets the player (more often than not). what's dumb (and the Joke is beyond old now) is thinking that if we do NOT get the player that they'd fire the person.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Rangers get who they want
No surprise here we didn't get him
It was amusing though reading some of the posts declaring he was coming here :)

I thought he was going to PIT once I heard he was taking all week to explore his options. Would've been a really good hockey fit for him as every line features a rare and/or exceptional talent that would make him a better hockey player (and hit his bonuses):

Crosby... check
Malkin... check
Kessel... check

The Rangers look like a bag of spare parts in their top 9 with as many extra forward bodies as we have, maybe even more.

BUF would've been a really good fit, hockey-wise too, and of course I think he would've looked ok playing with Matthews. :sarcasm:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Pretty much, but as a hockey move, I kind of scratch my head.

Vesey just seems more like a "life first" kinda guy. If it was all about hockey, he would've signed with Nashville last year. Before that, he may have chosen another school over Harvard with a better hockey program. I think he was perfectly happy deciding based on social life and life after hockey, and then found some generic hockey reason like "NYR wanted me most" to justify it publicly.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
It's great to think world is all sunshine and lollipops but I tend to be a bit more cynical and believe the underlying reason his father and his brother were brought in was with the objective of helping sign him.

We will find out soon enough!
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

We drafted his brother in 2014 and hired his dad shortly after. Jimmy wasn't even that highly touted back then, and it definitely wasn't assumed he was taking the college FA route. I know some of you have your tin foil hats stapled to your head, but I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say we drafted Nolan because we thought he had potential, and hired Vesey Sr. because we needed a scout in the boston area.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Vesey just seems more like a "life first" kinda guy. If it was all about hockey, he would've signed with Nashville last year. Before that, he may have chosen another school over Harvard with a better hockey program. I think he was perfectly happy deciding based on social life and life after hockey, and then found some generic hockey reason like "NYR wanted me most" to justify it publicly.

Yup, he's a smart kid, he knows college free agents don't exactly have an amazing NHL track record, so he knows that life outside of hockey is probably a lot better career-wise in NYC for a Harvard grad.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Yup, he's a smart kid, he knows college free agents don't exactly have an amazing NHL track record, so he knows that life outside of hockey is probably a lot better career-wise in NYC for a Harvard grad.

And he'll have more fun in the Manhattan social scene than the Boston scene, especially since he's already done the Boston scene. If he doesn't have a girlfriend, he'll really enjoy Manhattan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad