OT: Jimmy Vesey discussion continues ... Pt 2 (Signs with NYR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
Vesey was free to sign with anyone being a UFA and he exercised his right to do so. It was said that he was an intelligent and analytical young man. This is certainly brought into question based on the criteria he outlined for the team he wanted to sign with. The Rangers has to be one of the worst fits for him in the league. They are ageing, their kingpin, Lunquist is showing signs of deterioration in play and they have no real high end prospects.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Players I know who's been wined and dined by NYR and ended up signing with them. Nash, Richards, and now Vesey... complete opposite of Buffalo.

Anyone knows of a player that NYR sought out but did NOT want to sign with them?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Vesey was free to sign with anyone being a UFA and he exercised his right to do so. It was said that he was an intelligent and analytical young man. This is certainly brought into question based on the criteria he outlined for the team he wanted to sign with. The Rangers has to be one of the worst fits for him in the league. They are ageing, their kingpin, Lunquist is showing signs of deterioration in play and they have no real high end prospects.

All of those reasons also make it a great spot for him to easily slot in and get NHL minutes too though.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

this is why it's the perfect place for him to go. He'll get to play top line minutes faster and if he does pan out, he will be the face of one of the most historic franchise's in the NHL. I think it also has to do with the fact that so many Harvard grads go on to work in New York. So he'll have his buddies close by.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
All of those reasons also make it a great spot for him to easily slot in and get NHL minutes too though.
Certainly if that's what he's looking for. However a player with competitive juices and loves a challenge would not be drawn to that type team. If these things are missing in a player their chance of real success is limited.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Certainly if that's what he's looking for. However a player with competitive juices and loves a challenge would not be drawn to that type team. If these things are missing in a player their chance of real success is limited.

Sure but keep in mind this is Vesey making a career/life decision. This could easily have been his only NHL contract so he HAS to make the most of it. If he ends up in the minors or struggles because he is pushed down as depth than he most likely doesn't get another contract.

The positive for him though is he does have a college degree.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Wow, definitely didn't expect him to sign with a team that has poor centre depth, and a team that appears to be on the decline. Personally I don't think this was a wise career move. He would've been better off in Nashville. Heck he's only a few years away from UFA status.

Also Rangers have Nash, Hayes and Zuccarello on LW... where's he slot?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wow, definitely didn't expect him to sign with a team that has poor centre depth, and a team that appears to be on the decline. Personally I don't think this was a wise career move. He would've been better off in Nashville. Heck he's only a few years away from UFA status.

Nash has played RW for Rangers at times so I think he moves over...same with Zucc....

I think their forward group shapes up like this....unless Buchenivich changes things.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Vesey-Zibby-Zucc
Hayes-Miller-Grabner
Glass-Lindberg-Fast

Last edited:

buttman*

Nash has played RW for Rangers at times so I think he moves over...same with Zucc....

I think their forward group shapes up like this....unless Buchenivich changes things.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Vesey-Zibby-Zubb
Hayes-Miller-Grabner
Glass-Lindberg-Fast

Grabner was one of the worst hockey players I have ever seen last year. Skates fast --- does nothing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Grabner was one of the worst hockey players I have ever seen last year. Skates fast --- does nothing.

They always go for a Hagelin replacement....tried to do it with Stalberg and now Grabner gets a turn.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

this is why it's the perfect place for him to go. He'll get to play top line minutes faster and if he does pan out, he will be the face of one of the most historic franchise's in the NHL. I think it also has to do with the fact that so many Harvard grads go on to work in New York. So he'll have his buddies close by.

Hayes, Zuccarello and Nash aren't exactly geezers and are listed as LW's. Isn't this a log jam for him?

I personally don't see the "best fit" as NY.

Thinking Vesey should've just taken Nashville, great Centre depth, one of the deepest teams (if not deepest teams) in the league, one of the best coaches in the league, great leadership... also a team with a history of developing young talent. Also he passed up on a quarter season of NHL/Playoff hockey... which would've been huge for his transition into pro hockey/instead of holding out and sitting on his butt throughout that same period. Also would've burned a year of his ELC.

Weird decision.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Hayes, Zuccarello and Nash aren't exactly geezers and are listed as LW's. Isn't this a log jam for him?

I personally don't see the "best fit" as NY.

Thinking Vesey should've just taken Nashville, great Centre depth, one of the deepest teams (if not deepest teams) in the league, one of the best coaches in the league, great leadership... also a team with a history of developing young talent. Also he passed up on a quarter season of NHL/Playoff hockey... which would've been huge for his transition into pro hockey/instead of holding out and sitting on his butt throughout that same period. Also would've burned a year of his ELC.

Weird decision.

Personally I feel like he got caught up and by the time he realized what he was walking out on, it was too late. He had to commit.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Vesey-Zibby-Zucc
Hayes-Miller-Grabner
Glass-Lindberg-Fast

This team is so far from a championship...there window closed much like Vancouvers did with Luongo did years ago. They have 3-4 more years of couple first round/2nd round exits (if Lundqvist stands on his head), followed by 2-3 years of rebuilding.... by then Vesey is 30 and lucky if he's still even on the team. Don't see his reasoning on how this team was best for him.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Have you ever been to NYC?

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Seems like a weird career choice to me but I bet he and his agent spent tons of time agonizing about the decision. Personally I think he would be much more of an impact player with Eichel or Matthews or Toews especially, but, gotta believe he knows what is best for his career.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Not sure why people are surprised at this choice. It clearly came down to ice time and location. Leafs have quite a bit of prospect depth, aren't the type of org to gift unproven players a top role, and encourage internal competition. Even if he thought the Leafs were a better run org with a better chance to win, it's easy to appreciate why he might consider it a more risky option for his career. NYC beats Toronto by a mile for his personal life, not only is it a bit closer to Boston, but he probably has quite a few friends there, and he'd be more out of the spotlight.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
They always go for a Hagelin replacement....tried to do it with Stalberg and now Grabner gets a turn.

Right, Hagelin can score a bit, potentially quite a bit, Grabner can't score at all. The ability to fly around the ice and not be able to cash in prime chances is vastly overrated. Larry Brooks says he's a great penalty killer but I didn't see it last year the odd failed cheating breakaway yes, effective penalty killer no.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Well,,, we don't need dad and brother any more. At least we can trim some fat.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
As a native Torontonian, if I had the chance to be a young millionaire athlete based in Manhattan, I'd jump at that. What a great city, life, market, etc. That's an exciting choice, and probably a big reason why so many UFAs go there. That said, from a hockey point of view, the Rangers are a little "bleh".

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's a puzzling choice from a hockey perspective as the Rangers seem to be headed to decline. But New York getting the big fish -- albeit more of a medium fish in this case -- while the Leafs end up with nothing but rumours and media blather to show for it is a story we've seen many many times now over the years. Let's face it, NY is one of the world's premiere cities...especially if you're rich. Pro athletes love it there.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
so a guy who i keep hearing loves his hometown of Boston signs with NY :laugh:

would have liked to have signed him but c'est la vie

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's a puzzling choice from a hockey perspective as the Rangers seem to be headed to decline. But New York getting the big fish -- albeit more of a medium fish in this case -- while the Leafs end up with nothing but rumours and media blather to show for it is a story we've seen many many times now over the years. Let's face it, NY is one of the world's premiere cities...especially if you're rich. Pro athletes love it there.

It's nice to not be able to care though...unlike in years past. Instead of disappointment, i feel great knowing that we really don't need him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad