OT: Jimmy Vesey discussion continues ... Pt 2 (Signs with NYR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Vesey just seems more like a "life first" kinda guy. If it was all about hockey, he would've signed with Nashville last year. Before that, he may have chosen another school over Harvard with a better hockey program. I think he was perfectly happy deciding based on social life and life after hockey, and then found some generic hockey reason like "NYR wanted me most" to justify it publicly.

A Harvard grad should be able to figure out that is was probably Buffalo who "wanted him the most", to the point of desperation/squandering a 3rd for a brief window to talk to him first. It's clear, based on the outcome, that Jimmy wanted NYR the most. That's fine, but that's what he should say. Rather than that Gorton/Drury just hit the right emotional talking points about needing him in their lineup far beyond the desire/efforts of the Sabres or any other team. Let's face it, if the Sabres played in Manhattan, he'd be a Sabre.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A Harvard grad should be able to figure out that is was probably Buffalo who "wanted him the most", to the point of desperation/squandering a 3rd for a brief window to talk to him first. It's clear, based on the outcome, that Jimmy wanted NYR the most. That's fine, but that's what he should say. Rather than that Gorton/Drury just hit the right emotional talking points about needing him in their lineup far beyond the desire/efforts of the Sabres or any other team. Let's face it, if the Sabres played in Manhattan, he'd be a Sabre.

Screw the Buffalo Sabres and all their effort. There's no sales pitch Dwight Schrute could give me to go there. The idea that they've become this attractive place for free agents because of Pegula money is a complete myth.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Vesey made no secret that he wanted to be close to home and that made the drive to NYC a logical choice, if he believed the pressure in his hometown was too great and the anonymity of bright lights big city gave him that.

When he went public with that, it seemed that Leafs were out because of that, & going to a foreign country decreased the odds further.

This would have been a tough sell for Shanny.

Wrt location, I believe Toronto would have been the 2nd choice for Vesey after New York. Unfortunately, there are 3 teams in the NY area, so really 4th choice.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
I think you're selling the Rangers short here. 7th in the league in goals per game last year with Nash having a very down year by his standards. Losing Yandle will hurt, but I expect that we'll see better numbers from Nash at least, and possibly others.

Trading Brassard for Zibanejad is at worst a slight downgrade offensively.

Adding Vesey and Buchnevich gives us better depth.

Defensively is where we are hurting, but most of that was our penalty kill, which we have addressed. The Rangers only gave up 129 goals 5 on 5 last year (tied for 6th in the league with Minn). LA lead the league with 121 goals against 5 on 5.

On the PK (4 vs 5) we gave up 47 goals (tied for 6th worst with Florida).

Yes, we still need to get rid of Staal/Girardi and find a right handed PMD, but I think they will both be better than last year if they are healthy. How much better, who knows, but hopefully enough that we can find a way to move them. I trust that Gorton will find a way to fix that situation. It may take some time, but he will get it done.

I also expect that Nash and/or Klein will be traded before the expansion draft, which may be how we acquire a PMD. As long as we keep making smart moves that help improve us for the future, we should be alright. We really went for it in recent years and fell short. We can't keep doing that and hope to keep competing year after year. Thankfully, Gorton realizes that.

The Rangers are in no man's land. They're not contenders and they're not bad enough to get the high end draft prospects. Thus they continue in mediocrity with little to no top prospects for the future. Somewhat like Montreal everything depends on their goalie, as to how good or bad they will be. Lundquist, probably due to age and the pressure of caring a team year after year is starting to show cracks in the armour. Vesey has proven he's okay with mediocrity by signing with the Rangers.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Rangers are in no man's land. They're not contenders and they're not bad enough to get the high end draft prospects. Thus they continue in mediocrity with little to no top prospects for the future. Somewhat like Montreal everything depends on their goalie, as to how good or bad they will be. Lundquist, probably due to age and the pressure of caring a team year after year is starting to show cracks in the armour. Vesey has proven he's okay with mediocrity by signing with the Rangers.

Yup. The Rangers have also given away so many draft picks. They might have a worse future than anyone.

MSG*

Certainly if that's what he's looking for. However a player with competitive juices and loves a challenge would not be drawn to that type team. If these things are missing in a player their chance of real success is limited.

So go to a team that has won, has a world class goalie etc or go to the 30th team with kids four years younger. Makes perfect sense lol.

When was the last time the Rangers lost to the Leafs on an UFA? It doesn't happen.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Calling the Rangers weird is an insult. I got infracted on this board for saying the Rangers were signing Vesey. It was too obvious. No wonder Leaf fans take a bit of heat. Calling the richest team in the league weird is beyond ignorant. Make the playoffs.

Apologies for the dopes on here. We have an abundance of people who get butt hurt when players pass on coming here. Very much like Sabres fans. Must be something in Lake Ontario. Fortunately I'm in Muskoka much of the summer, so I am able to think more clearly.

I said it earlier in this thread, I never thought we made sense for Vesey. He's a northeastern kid, he went to Harvard, probably has friends who will be wheelin n dealin on Wall Street. He avoids the fishbowl of playing in his hometown and gets to live in one of the greatest cities in the world for a top notch organization. Nothing weird about that. Weird would be thinking a 30th place team in a foreign country is the ideal place to end up.

Not happy we lost out on him, but never really thought we were a frontrunner.

MSG*

You're the richest team in the league because of one reason and one reason only. The low Canadian dollar. Don't worry you won't be there for long.

The Leafs are, always have been and always will be the biggest team in professional hockey.

Take a lap kid.

First of all I am just south of 50. Calling me a kid is an immature insult.

The Rangers are rich for several reasons. Cablevision of course. Via that their family owns MSG Network and that is quite unique. Every Sabres, Devils and Islanders game makes the Rangers money.

Don't give me the CDN dollar BS. The Dolan family could care less about the CDN dollar. It's kid of funny that some guy in TO thinks a billionaire in NY gives a crap about our currency.

MSG*

Apologies for the dopes on here. We have an abundance of people who get butt hurt when players pass on coming here. Very much like Sabres fans. Must be something in Lake Ontario. Fortunately I'm in Muskoka much of the summer, so I am able to think more clearly.

I said it earlier in this thread, I never thought we made sense for Vesey. He's a northeastern kid, he went to Harvard, probably has friends who will be wheelin n dealin on Wall Street. He avoids the fishbowl of playing in his hometown and gets to live in one of the greatest cities in the world for a top notch organization. Nothing weird about that. Weird would be thinking a 30th place team in a foreign country is the ideal place to end up.

Not happy we lost out on him, but never really thought we were a frontrunner.

Virtual Handshake. That was big of you and well said.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
So go to a team that has won, has a world class goalie etc or go to the 30th team with kids four years younger. Makes perfect sense lol.

When was the last time the Rangers lost to the Leafs on an UFA? It doesn't happen.

You're lack of understanding of future and past is certainly missing in your comments. The 30th place team is bursting with world class youth, the Rangers have nowhere to go but down and little to no prospects to lift them from mediocrity. Vesey is obviously lauded by Rangers fans because the prospect cupboard is bare. He would have been just another piece of the puzzle as a Leaf with a number of prospects equal to or significantly better than him.

MSG*

You're lack of understanding of future and past is certainly missing in your comments. The 30th place team is bursting with world class youth, the Rangers have nowhere to go but down and little to no prospects to lift them from mediocrity. Vesey is obviously lauded by Rangers fans because the prospect cupboard is bare. He would have been just another piece of the puzzle as a Leaf with a number of prospects equal to or significantly better than him.

It's funny. I've read nothing but Leaf fans drooling over this guy and also have read how Oilers are crap but the Leafs are going to be different.

The Rangers don't get big time draft picks because they are competitive. Being competitive is nice. Take your sour grapes elsewhere and try making the playoffs.

Having prospects.....I'll take NHL players.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
It's funny. I've read nothing but Leaf fans drooling over this guy and also have read how Oilers are crap but the Leafs are going to be different.

The Rangers don't get big time draft picks because they are competitive. Being competitive is nice. Take your sour grapes elsewhere and try making the playoffs.

lol we will take our sour grapes and prospects and fly right by the rangers very soon thanks for stopping by :nod:

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Screw the Buffalo Sabres and all their effort. There's no sales pitch Dwight Schrute could give me to go there. The idea that they've become this attractive place for free agents because of Pegula money is a complete myth.

That was my point. Buffalo is not an attractive destination. Don't try to tell my it's just because "NYR wanted me the most". Buffalo, TO, NYI all wanted you plenty.

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
why are ppl here so upset , its not he was our draft pick that left , he was FA and choose to sign where he wanted ,

Another note if its because of what tsn and others have reported about leafs in the top consideration for Vesey , then stop believing in them , its their job to get to you view their articles and shows , no matter what is really happening, just like they try to boost Trade Deadline Day and Draft Day

MSG*

lol we will take our sour grapes and prospects and fly right by the rangers very soon thanks for stopping by :nod:

Good luck. I cheer both teams but am not a homer. I don't like Leaf chances since Rogers came on board.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Good luck. I cheer both teams but am not a homer. I don't like Leaf chances since Rogers came on board.

I was taking you seriously untill this comment. Now im doubting everything about you having a solid hockey mind.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006

I rest my case, you have zero knowledge of past and present. While you're looking through your Rangers mediocre rose coloured glasses, your buddy Lou, who made the rich Rangers look minor league is now part of a team building a championship caliber team in TO. If you can pull your head out of the sand for a minute or two you may notice a big blue machine starting up her engines in Southern Ontario.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006

I rest my case, you have zero knowledge of past and present. While you're looking through your Rangers mediocre rose coloured glasses, your buddy Lou, who made the rich Rangers look minor league is now part of a team building a championship caliber team in TO. If you can pull your head out of the sand for a minute or two you may notice a big blue machine starting up her engines in Southern Ontario.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It's okay, it was pretty much agreed on that Vesey would have been our 4th or 5th best prospect if we got him right?

Shame we didn't get him but we have lots more to look forward to in the future.

MSG*

Who's Lou that worked for NYR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad