OT: Jimmy Vesey discussion continues ... Pt 2 (Signs with NYR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I would have liked to add him, but I was never that concerned whether we did or not.

Best of luck to him.

Now we just move on. There are a ton of guys who can fight for spots at training camp.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Didn't want him to go to NYR as they are aging and likely to slip. This and Zibinajad makes them younger.

Zibanejad is a pretty ordinary player, big but mostly a perimeter player with not great playmaking skill. A top nine for sure but I doubt if he's much of a impact player. The rangers have some good young skill and size up front but lack a legit home run hitter. Their D is a mess, Hank is aging. I see them on the downslide.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
He picked a team on the decline, with arguably the weakest prospect pool in the league?

Oh, okay.

I would say besides us signing him, this is the 2nd best option.

Worst case would've been him signing in Buffalo.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Seriously doubt that. Extremely bush league if they did.

I dont get where the feelings of vengeance comes from.
Vesey Sr was hired because of his personal friendship with Hunter (?) and because he was already watching a lot of college hockey and knows his stuff. He is not part of the inner circle of our scouting staff, he is just a pair of extra eyes out there and he will continue to be so for a couple of more drafts I reckon. Where his son would sign never influenced the decision to hire him and where his son now signed wont influence the decision of keeping him.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Excellent. He'll be the best forward on a terrible team moving forward if he doesn't bust.

I'd rank Vesey as our sixth best prospect most likely.

Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Zaitsev
Brown
Vesey
Kapanen

and hes 24 ....he was a bargain free agent that's all ....

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Seriously doubt that. Extremely bush league if they did.

Not going to happen, if they did hire him to curry favour with Jr what to hell, I'm sure bird dogging New England Unis and prep schools isn't a huge part of the scouting budget. Hunters staff will be on any and all significant prospects and maybe Sr. actually has some acumen for the job. If not you quietly release him in a couple of years.

Last edited:

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Don't see the hype about this kid, just a free wallet signing. I don't think he is all that good. We got too many similar guys like him that have been fighting for a spot for the main roster, they deserve it more then him.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Not that upset in missing out on JV, would have been a nice add for sure, but not that upset at all.

I am surprised he picked NY though, in terms of a hockey decision they seemed like the worst choice IMO.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I thought it was a long shot - signing both Zaitsev and Vesey. Would've been amazing but seemed improbable.

I'm happy we got Zaitsev over Vesey (though I'm aware one has nothing to do with the other).

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Not that upset in missing out on JV, would have been a nice add for sure, but not that upset at all.

I am surprised he picked NY though, in terms of a hockey decision they seemed like the worst choice IMO.

I think he realise he is not a sure thing to succeed as a hockey player. If he does, great, if he does not he can fall back on his Harvard education.
And I bet he believes that Rangers shallow prospect pool means he will get more chances then just the 2 years he signed for. Plenty of time for him to establish him self in NY and do some networking. And if he is sent down to the AHL he will still live close at home in Hartford.

Mad Brills*

Zaitsev fills a bigger need for this team anyways out of the hyped guys.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
He and Hayes must really have a bromance going if he chose to play with the Rags over the Hawks.

Man, I feel for the Bruins who were teased kinda like us with Stammer with all the coming-to-play-at-home-growing-up-watching and-loving-the-team crap.

Anyhow, glad he didn't go to the Sabres!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Oh! Sure they offered him a free Limo and Driver, to drive him back and forth to Boston :sarcasm:

Anyway it's over.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
So is it safe to assume that when Vesey said he's gonna look at a team's prospect pool when deciding, he actually meant a shallow one that gives him the least competition?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Pretty poor landing spot, how many more elite seasons does Lundqvist have?

Their prospect pool is poor and they don't have a lot of draft picks. I'm not sour he didn't sign with us, I just don't think he made a sound choice for his future.

Chicago would have been smarter.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some people should calm down a bit: he's hardly the first free agent to my wanting to come to the Leleafs.

I think the Rags were an odd choice though: I would have gone to the Pens or Hawks if I was in his skates. Or funny enough, the Preds: they're a definitely an up and coming team.

Very happy he decided to not choose Boston or the Sabres though.

Do the leafs fire his dad as a scout now?

The idea of his dad was hired just to attract him was always nonsense.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Some people should calm down a bit: he's hardly the first free agent to my wanting to come to the Leleafs.

I think the Rags were an odd choice though: I would have gone to the Pens or Hawks if I was in his skates. Or funny enough, the Preds: they're a definitely an up and coming team.

Very happy he decided to not choose Boston or the Sabres though.

The idea of his dad was hired just to attract him was always nonsense.

He totally should have just signed with the Preds and burned a year off his ELC last year and enjoyed some playoff hockey, maybe he could have helped them more.

I think the Preds at this point need an upgrade on bottom RHD and one more top 6F. Maybe a better back up too. Not confident in their goaltending, need to give Rinne more rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad