News Article: Jimmy D. : "Red Wings won't 'sit back' in attempt to rebuild"

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, I didn't have a big love for Parise, either. Pay huge for a free agent who was good but not great? Meh. Prioritizing the D was the right choice.

Think about it this way, though. Would you rather have Parise every year previously and on a $7.5 caphit until 2023 (technically 2025, but 2023 that's when the $1 million dollar LTIR years kick in, ala Zetterberg) or would you rather have Abdelkader at 4.25 until 2023. The savings Abby gives you is one certified refurbished Thomas Vanek. Cool.

Obviously those old cap circumventing deals are bonkers under today's rules, so I don't like his contract, but if I'm locking up players long-term, give me the guy who is "slowing down" at age 34 but still putting up 11 points in the first 9 games of the season this year. Like Zetterberg, he's still a difference maker in a lot of ways, even if he's well past his 80+ point years.

This is all moot, as Parise was never going to Detroit. It's more about philosophy though than reality of execution. I think the Wild did the right thing going for it with those two players, banking they could build around them before their mid-30s decline crept in. And I think it would have benefited Holland to value higher impact players at higher prices than to cobble together his depth team that stresses the salary cap, yet somehow is painfully absent of any real difference makers.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Something like...

Rasmussen-Larkin-Panarin
Bertuzzi-Hughes-Mantha
Helm-Veleno-Zadina
Smith-Nielsen-LGD
Abdelkader

Cholowski-Karlsson
Dekeyser-Green
Ericsson-Hronek

Bobrovsky
Bernier

I can dig it.

Per CapFriendly we have $14,285,457 cap space in '19-'20

$14,285,457
+ 10% LTIR, assuming flat cap of ~ $80=$8M =$22,285,457

Not qualifying Frk gives us another $1.05M...so $23,290,457 capspace total

$12M EK
$10M Bob (that's what he's asking)
$9M ? Breadman
=$31M

....difference of ~8M -3M (AA not in your lineup)=$5M difference + Veleno, Zadina & Smith, so ~$8M still.

How do you figure to afford your lineup?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wings would never do this. And Hughes wouldn't gut our prospects pool if we move up only 3 spots.
The first part is certainly debatable. But moving from #4 to #1 for Jack Hughes would cost an arm, a leg, a firstborn child, and then some. It would take a ridiculous trade package for the team sitting there with the top spot to even think about not taking a consensus #1 overall player. (Which is partly why it basically never happens.)

I took that angle because I don't see this team having the leverage to get an elite free agent here, and I don't see them having the trade chips (unless it's multiple first rounders) to swing a blockbuster deal for an elite player. So I went with the draft.

Again, I hope nothing like that happens. But if management really does rock the boat in a big way, that seems the most direct path, assuming they're confident that Jack Hughes is a bonafide superstar.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

$14,285,457

$12M EK
$9M ? Breadman
=$31M

....difference of ~8M -3M (AA not in your lineup)=$5M difference + Veleno, Zadina & Smith, so ~$8M still.

I didn’t figure it! Four beers deep after a losers weekend at deer camp, so I was throwing shit at the wall.

However, at 23M you could easily make ~$6M in space to acquire those UFAs. Buyout Ericsson, deal Glendening - off the top of my head that’d be just around $5M. This whole thread is about them claiming to be creative, so I suppose that’d be the ticket.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
The first part is certainly debatable. But moving from #4 to #1 for Jack Hughes would cost an arm, a leg, a firstborn child, and then some. It would take a ridiculous trade package for the team sitting there with the top spot to even think about not taking a consensus #1 overall player. (Which is partly why it basically never happens.)

I took that angle because I don't see this team having the leverage to get an elite free agent here, and I don't see them having the trade chips (unless it's multiple first rounders) to swing a blockbuster deal for an elite player. So I went with the draft.

Again, I hope nothing like that happens. But if management really does rock the boat in a big way, that seems the most direct path, assuming they're confident that Jack Hughes is a bonafide superstar.
He better be like McDavid and Matthews out the gate to give up all this....

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I didn’t figure it! Four beers deep after a losers weekend at deer camp, so I was throwing **** at the wall.

However, at 23M you could easily make ~$6M in space to acquire those UFAs. Buyout Ericsson, deal Glendening - off the top of my head that’d be just around $5M. This whole thread is about them claiming to be creative, so I suppose that’d be the ticket.
No worries & agree on trading LGD.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

$14,285,457

$12M EK
$9M ? Breadman
=$31M

Bob never gets 10M.He is already 30.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2018-10-28_0-23-6.png

'19-'20 Incomplete roster...Need to add a #1/2C & #1/2D & 1G +...that roster screams KH re-signing Nyquist.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The implication behind what Jimmy D is saying is pretty damn scary when you consider the moronic short sighted signings the Wings made the previous five years when cap space became available.

Being patient is the only way you can successfully rebuild.

Trade Nyquist at the TDL.

Draft elite talent with your first round pick in 2019.
Draft elite talent with your first round pick in 2020.

That's literally all Detroit can do.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The implication behind what Jimmy D is saying is pretty damn scary when you consider the moronic short sighted signings the Wings made the previous five years when cap space became available.

Being patient is the only way you can successfully rebuild.

Trade Nyquist at the TDL.

Draft elite talent with your first round pick in 2019.
Draft elite talent with your first round pick in 2020.

That's literally all Detroit can do.

No.

There are other moves they can do. Attempting to trade one of their forwards for a potentially one day elite D-man is an example. Is it hard to do? Of course, and it probably won't happen, but to say there is literally nothing they can do other then draft is just hyperbole.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Think about it this way, though. Would you rather have Parise every year previously and on a $7.5 caphit until 2023 (technically 2025, but 2023 that's when the $1 million dollar LTIR years kick in, ala Zetterberg) or would you rather have Abdelkader at 4.25 until 2023. The savings Abby gives you is one certified refurbished Thomas Vanek. Cool.

Obviously those old cap circumventing deals are bonkers under today's rules, so I don't like his contract, but if I'm locking up players long-term, give me the guy who is "slowing down" at age 34 but still putting up 11 points in the first 9 games of the season this year. Like Zetterberg, he's still a difference maker in a lot of ways, even if he's well past his 80+ point years.

This is all moot, as Parise was never going to Detroit. It's more about philosophy though than reality of execution. I think the Wild did the right thing going for it with those two players, banking they could build around them before their mid-30s decline crept in. And I think it would have benefited Holland to value higher impact players at higher prices than to cobble together his depth team that stresses the salary cap, yet somehow is painfully absent of any real difference makers.

Can I choose neither? Which might have actually happened if Holland had shoveled more dough at Suter. That would have been the signing that just kept on giving. :)

I'm not against the idea of locking up a few high end guys over an abundance of middling guys, but I don't think Parise is that guy. You mention his 80 point days being behind him, they've been behind him since before he left New Jersey. Lock up centers and defencemen, those guys are going to carry your team. wings and goalies can be filled in with lesser lights, and if we have the cap space after locking up those other two areas, then splurge a bit. It's part of why I look at Mantha, AA, and truth be told Zadina and see trade chips - at least until we get our blueline and center spots locked down. Even great wings don't win you much of anything without centers and defencemen.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why do we even talk about offer sheets? They do not happen anymore! Isn't happening as they all won't do it, because then it gets done back, otherwise we would see them sometimes.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
What forward is Detroit trading away that nets them a defenseman with an elite ceiling?

Larkin is the only forward with enough value that makes such a scenario somewhat plausible and that is never gonna happen.

The time for being aggressive was 2012-2015. That ship has sailed and sank to the bottom of the Atlantic.

If Holland, Yzerman, or whomever is GM has your cynical attitude, then you're 100% right, it is never going to happen. The thing is, you have to try (hence be aggressive). Now I admit that it likely won't happen, but my point is that by saying we are going to be "aggressive", there are a number potential things he could be insinuating, this being an example of one. You saying "That's literally all Detroit can do." in regards to just drafting is your typical hyperbole.

As far as which forward, I dont know what other teams think of our forwards so I can't say for sure. I can tell you this though, I guarantee no Devils fan thought they would get a Hart Winner in Taylor Hall for fricken Adam Larsson. Did anyone think that we were going to get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Tatar last year, or a 2nd and 3rd for Smith 2 years ago? You have to try, and IF that is what JD means by being aggressive, I'm all for it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If Holland, Yzerman, or whomever is GM has your cynical attitude, then you're 100% right, it is never going to happen. The thing is, you have to try (hence be aggressive). Now I admit that it likely won't happen, but my point is that by saying we are going to be "aggressive", there are a number potential things he could be insinuating, this being an example of one. You saying "That's literally all Detroit can do." in regards to just drafting is your typical hyperbole.

As far as which forward, I dont know what other teams think of our forwards so I can't say for sure. I can tell you this though, I guarantee no Devils fan thought they would get a Hart Winner in Taylor Hall for fricken Adam Larsson. Did anyone think that we were going to get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Tatar last year, or a 2nd and 3rd for Smith 2 years ago? You have to try, and IF that is what JD means by being aggressive, I'm all for it.
But the point is that one of two things would happen:

1) Detroit offers Team B something like Mantha and a pick for a defenseman. Team B hangs up the phone.

2) Detroit offers Team B a crazy overpayment for a defenseman. (Think, Mantha, Veleno, and a 1st and 2nd round pick.) Team B happily accepts, and the fans riot.

The Wings simply don't have the trade chips to meet in the middle with a smart deal. Especially if the deal involves a player of potentially superstar caliber, which is what the overtones of the article would imply.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't agree that the wings couldn't find a fair deal. It's going to cost a lot of futures, but I think folks overvalue them at some point anyway. The only way it becomes a horrible deal is if the Wings swing something like the Kessel trade where they essentially dealt away Hamilton and Seguin.

Reactions: kliq

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
regarding the article, I think a lot of it is just Jimmy D blowing smoke. He mentions having a plan, he mentions needing superstars, he makes some vague assertions towards being crazy like the bald guy from Despicable Me. It could be offersheeting someone, it could be asking Usain Bolt if he wants to try hockey. I honestly wouldn't put a lot of stock in it as I think Devellano's main goal was to just focus some heat on himself and shift focus away from Holland and the lousy team for a few days.

the "craziest" thing I can see them doing is making a move for someone like Trouba - young guy who is reportedly unhappy with his situation and could be had in a trade.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I feel like Jimmy D is talking more this year. I know he has his usual four or five comments a year that make you shake your head and maybe we got an early start with him campaigning with Yzerman's news and Jimmy D trying to give him advise to do what he did in Tampa when he knows darn well his entire Detroit Red Wings fanbase would hate that, but man maybe Jimmy D is a little nervous.

I mean we all believe the chain of events is Holland leaving for Seattle and Yzerman taking over. But what if Holland has thought about sliding up in the organization ala the original offer after the back to back finals appearances and Jimmy is being told he is going to be put out to pasture in terms of his similar role. It might explain the desperation in some of these comments. I mean @Winger98 this isn't even the first one of those, he felt the need to basically say he was blocking Fedorov's jersey retirement in a fairly bizarre interview. Jimmy D has always been a strange guy, but it seems to have gone even deeper this year. I think the pressure of being this bad is getting to the guys.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad