News Article: Jimmy D. : "Red Wings won't 'sit back' in attempt to rebuild"

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Isn’t trying to speed up a re-build what the Leafs did which blew up in their face a bit?

I think there’s a time and place for actual player for player trades, but I’m not sure we are there just yet. I’m not as tethered to our young players as others so I guess I will have to wait and see where this leads.
Yeah, I was going to mention that Jimmy D gave interviews when Yzerman first accepted the GM job in Tampa he said Yzerman could take short cuts or he could build it up the right way. Apparently those rules don't hold true for Kenny, which is interesting to say the least.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Yeah, I was going to mention that Jimmy D gave interviews when Yzerman first accepted the GM job in Tampa he said Yzerman could take short cuts or he could build it up the right way. Apparently those rules don't hold true for Kenny, which is interesting to say the least.

I love how people are pointing out "hypocrisy" in hypothetical moves. Its like those who hate Holland are just waiting for anything to pounce.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I was using Jimmy D's exact quotes in two situations with teams that are rebuilding. Take a deep breath, it's going to be ok, really.

You have no idea what he even means by "aggressive". Take your own advice man :laugh:
I'm not the one freaking out.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Of all the aggressive strategies they could suddenly employ, I think the one they might actually pull off would be to move up from 3 or 4 overall to land Hughes at #1.

Which would likely gut the prospect system entirely, and leave the roster with one potential superstar and nothing else.

Hopefully it's yet another claim that never transpires.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Who knows what old man Jimmy D thinks is a good idea. This is the guy who called Mantha a bust as soon as he struggled a little bit after his injury. He's the kind of guy to make brash decision, and he's an influence on Holland.

Let's just hope Steve Yzerman takes over before dumb and dumber make a really dumb move.

To give Jimmy D credit... Mantha still does seem like a bust.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Offer sheet Nylander? That would fit "doing things that aren't usually done"
Nylander isn't going to turn this team around.

He's not a superstar. He's Larkin-level. And maybe not even at center. And he does absolutely nothing to address the back end issues.

Plus it would cost an arm and a leg. I don't see why Nylander is anyone we target.

Reactions: mantha39

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Only thing how they can be aggressive on short-term is

A) trading current players for picks
B) free agency, spending money HARD

There's nothing else.

- trade Nyquist for picks
- trade Daley for picks
- trade Glendening for picks
- trade Jimmy for picks
- trade Jensen for picks
- trade Athanasiou

I could see them going hard after Sergei Bobrovsky, who's almost 100% sure leaving Columbus. Best Starter available for a while. That would be a huge upgrade on goalie position. Absolutely huge. Throw +7M for him, but not longer than 3-4 years.

Go after UFA Tyler Myers, if Jets will extend Jacob Trouba. Or trade for Trouba, if he is problematic again for Jets and they'll extend Myers. There's a serious RhD problem coming at Jets, get one guy out of there to bolster the Wings roster. Both Trouba and Myers won't be together at next season, get the advantage of the situation anyway it goes.

Throw 9M or more for Artemi Panarin. That's being aggressive.

Draft Cozens/Hughes/Kakko/Dach.

Bring in Veleno+Zadina.

- Let Vanek walk
- Let Kronwall walk
- Let Frk walk
- Let Witkowski walk

Panarin - Larkin - Mantha
Rasmussen - Veleno - Zadina
Bertuzzi - Cozens/Hughes - Svechnikov
Akader - Nielsen - Helm
(Ehn, Dela Rose)

Cholowski - Myers/Trouba
DeKeyser - Green
Ericsson - Hronek
Hicketts or some other plug

Bobrovsky
(Bernier)

If all the UFAs say NO, then be bad and keep drafting high.

If the Wings draft Hughes, he likely challenges Larkin for top center out of the gate. If he's buried behind Veleno he's already a bust.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The last time Holland was remotely aggressive was going all in on the Suter sweepstakes, so I'm worried the extent of their plan is to try and win the bidding war for Karlsson.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The last time Holland was remotely aggressive was going all in on the Suter sweepstakes, so I'm worried the extent of their plan is to try and win the bidding war for Karlsson.

In all fairness he tried with Stamkos and if Tavares had been willing to come here, he would have gone in on him I bet, whether we like it or not!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

See, that's the thing, his "aggressive" pitch only included Suter, thus wasn't aggressive at all. A part of losing out on that was low-balling Parise. Now, ultimately, I don't think he could have convinced both players to abandon Minnesota, but the point remains they obviously negotiated as a duo, receiving matching $100 million deals. If memory serves, Holland offered Parise $60 million as a formality.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
See, that's the thing, his "aggressive" pitch only included Suter, thus wasn't aggressive at all. A part of losing out on that was low-balling Parise. Now, ultimately, I don't think he could have convinced both players to abandon Minnesota, but the point remains they obviously negotiated as a duo, receiving matching $100 million deals. If memory serves, Holland offered Parise $60 million as a formality.

What was Suter's initial deal with the Wings? Their first offers might have been similar, but Suter's the only one who kept coming back asking for just a little bit more. until he got Minny up to where he wanted them.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Then good on Holland I say! Parise is already slowing down big time!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What was Suter's initial deal with the Wings? Their first offers might have been similar, but Suter's the only one who kept coming back asking for just a little bit more. until he got Minny up to where he wanted them.

The initial offer from what I saw was 13/73M for Suter. After the meeting and hearing Minnesota was in, they bumped it to 13/90 for Suter but not more for Parise. And then Minnesota went bonkers and did 13/98 for both.

Detroit Red Wings Gameday: What if team had landed Zach Parise and Ryan Suter in 2012?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Then good on Holland I say! Parise is already slowing down big time!

Yeah, I didn't have a big love for Parise, either. Pay huge for a free agent who was good but not great? Meh. Prioritizing the D was the right choice.

The initial offer from what I saw was 13/73M for Suter. After the meeting and hearing Minnesota was in, they bumped it to 13/90 for Suter but not more for Parise. And then Minnesota went bonkers and did 13/98 for both.

Detroit Red Wings Gameday: What if team had landed Zach Parise and Ryan Suter in 2012?

I'd consider that pretty similar then. The Wings clearly didn't value Parise as much, and I don't blame them. At the same time, I don't think it was a lowball offer, it just wasn't blow off the doors high. I also don't think Parise was half as interested in coming to Detroit, and the opportunity it raise the offer might have just not been there.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Of all the aggressive strategies they could suddenly employ, I think the one they might actually pull off would be to move up from 3 or 4 overall to land Hughes at #1.

Which would likely gut the prospect system entirely, and leave the roster with one potential superstar and nothing else.

Hopefully it's yet another claim that never transpires.
Wings would never do this. And Hughes wouldn't gut our prospects pool if we move up only 3 spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad