News Article: Jimmy D. : "Red Wings won't 'sit back' in attempt to rebuild"

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Red Wings won't 'sit back' in attempt to rebuild

Mostly common knowledge & fluff, but a few good quotes:

"We're superstar driven, and it pains me, it pains Ken, that we are bereft of a superstar," Devellano said. "Superstars win games. Superstars sell tickets. Superstars drive TV ratings. And to sit here and not have that kind of player, or preferably players, is painful. But that's as candid as I can be with you. We do have a plan."

"The one thing we don't want to do is make promises,"

"Quite frankly, we're not the most patient people. We've been used to winning. We may have to go outside the box to push this program along. I won't go into detail about that, but we may have to go outside the box and do things that normally aren't done in order to push us up the standings and to get more competitive."

"You need to start somewhere with a superstar," "We recognize that. I can tell you as long as Ken Holland and Jimmy D are involved, we will be aggressive.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
They could expedite things by start of 2019 by trading all our spare parts, aging vets & package TDL picks +(AA ?) for a core piece. (#1/#2Dmen/#2C), need 1RHD in Top 4 to replace Green. Also need a RHS preferably @ #2C. Target players in the 19-23 yr. range that aren't too established, have upside, are underrated/misused/cap casualties/need a fresh start/not clicking w/(current team/system/coach) etc. Justin Schultz was a perfect example of this.

They need to be scouting other teams heavily for players w/150-400 GP. Also sell while our players have any value left. Be very shrewd on term & $$ moving forward...No NTC/NMC for non-elite/non-core players.

Imagine a package of:
AA
+ late 1st (Nyquist)
+ late 3rd (Daley)
+ late 4th (Vanek ?)
+/- ?
for a #2ish/#3 solid Dman...Get creative. Maybe a Ellis or Ekholm tier Dman, possibly better,
for example, +/- to balance trade. That may or may not be overpayment, but that's not the point.

Sign a few core vets (27-30) in '19-'20.
Sign Duchene & Varlamov 2019
Sign at least 1 of: Trouba/Pietrangelo/Parayko in 2020

+Late 4th? (Howard)
+Late 3rd? (Jensen)
+Late 3rd? (Big E)
+Late 4th? (Kronner)...if he wants last shot at cup.
+ Nielsen (25% retention)
= ??

We need more RHShots on F&D.

Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Which is funny, because they could be out as early as June 2019. Too many of these odd, almost empty promises being made.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
"Quite frankly, we're not the most patient people. We've been used to winning. We may have to go outside the box to push this program along. I won't go into detail about that, but we may have to go outside the box and do things that normally aren't done in order to push us up the standings and to get more competitive."

"You need to start somewhere with a superstar," "We recognize that. I can tell you as long as Ken Holland and Jimmy D are involved, we will be aggressive.
So what I'm getting out of this is we don't want Ken Holland and Jimmy D to be involved.

Because it sounds an awful lot like they're talking about trading picks/prospects for roster players. That's not rebuilding, that's destroying the rebuild. If I had to guess, Jimmy D is hinting at trading the 1st overall for young roster players. If they do that, we need to boycott this team ASAP.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Devellano's candor never ceases to amaze. The same guy who was fined for comparing the players to cattle. It's the honest truth Detroit has no superstars and that Green and Richards were "patches" but egad man find a correct way to say it.

It's slightly scary. WTH is going outside the box to climb the standings?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Holland has hardly made any trades in the last 10 years, involving roster players of pretty good value coming here! How is that aggressive, as you basically can't be anymore passive. Heck, even the amount of all his trades is as passive as you can be. Rutherford, would be considered aggressive with trading, not Holland, no where close.

Losing out on free agents, I don't put on Holland, he has been aggressive there, but the big name guys want to win, so we aren't an option right now. When winning though, we usually land our fair share of free agents. Truth be told, I am glad we lost out on Parise and Suter, as they have done nothing for Minnesota, and those contracts would just add to our cap issues.

Reactions: Sentinel

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
From the article, OP should have posted this also:

"We won't be placid. We've been placid the last two years. We're going to be placid the remainder of this year. There's not much we can do. "

Considering the contracts that expire this year, plus Zadina and some of the next gen do need a bit more seasoning (not necessarily in the minors) - this makes sense. #loseforhughes this year and then next year shoot for a wildcard spot.

Honestly this seems reasonable, especially with some of the Eastern rivals looking like they may beginning declines soon. A strong 4th in the Atlantic could be good enough for a wildcard next year.

Either way I'm still pumped for this season. If Cholowski can stay healthy and continue to do what he's doing, then he's going to win some hardware this year. That's honestly our 'Stanley Cup' this year, rooting for Cholowski to win the Calder and maybe a Norris nomination if he breaks 75 points (he's factored in 25% of team scoring, and his numbers would be almost doubled if the rest of the slags could actually finish on the chances he sets up).

Though I will admit, I am likely scraping my annual pilgrimage to Motown to go to a Wings game (not worth the money to sit in LCA and not hear the goal horn more than twice). So I'll just see them on road games this year.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Devellano's candor never ceases to amaze. The same guy who was fined for comparing the players to cattle. It's the honest truth Detroit has no superstars and that Green and Richards were "patches" but egad man find a correct way to say it.

It's slightly scary. WTH is going outside the box to climb the standings?

I have $10 that says the answer to that is NSFW and involves Jarmo Kekalainen.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
After reading the article, I wonder how his comment of not having a superstar hits home with Larkin. Personally, I don't think Larkin is a superstar. He is an excellent player who is very driven. He is hurt by not having a supporting cast of players. Most of his errors occur from trying to do too much himself.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Talking about trading Larkin and possibly another high end piece, perhaps adding some picks, for a potential superstar from a team that has an excess of them and won’t be able to pay them all. Toronto perhaps?

Either that or it’s just hyperbolic marketing to try to keep fans interested.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
If Yzerman is in place there is no way either of these two will be allowed to make a big move - Chris Ilitch will veto it. Yzerman won't come here if they trade away the FRP, or raid the farm for a now piece that barely moves the needle now, gets them a worst FRP and leaves the prospect cupboard bare.

Best thing Chris Ilitch could do now is fire Holland and Devellano and just ride out the season with no chances other than selling veterans for picks at the TDL or sooner.

Lose for Hughes.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
After reading the article, I wonder how his comment of not having a superstar hits home with Larkin. Personally, I don't think Larkin is a superstar. He is an excellent player who is very driven. He is hurt by not having a supporting cast of players. Most of his errors occur from trying to do too much himself.

It shouldn't hit home very hard at all for him. The only people who think he is a superstar would be his family.

As to Jimmy D's quotes. Sure grandpa, sure.

Reactions: Sentinel

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Larkin isn't a superstar. He's a fantastic player. You know who else wasn't a superstar? Brendan Shanahan. You know who wasn't a superstar at 21? Nick Lidstrom, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk.

Superstar means Auston Matthews, Connor McDavid level player and if Larkin is butthurt about not being mentioned alongside those guys, he's not the player I thought he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad