News Article: Jimmy D. : "Red Wings won't 'sit back' in attempt to rebuild"

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I would absolutely offer sheet Zach Werenski. Very good chance he signs it, too. I don't think Point would be as productive in Detroit as he is in Tampa.
How many draft picks would this even cost us? And it would never happen Holland lives by the "code" offer sheeting players is "bad business"

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And the plan hath been revealed:

1) Draft forwards until you have them coming out of your ears.
2) Make sure that a few of the forwards are BFF's with promising young defensemen.
3) Pillage and plunder in free agency by reuniting the bromances, thus revamping the defense in short order.

What could go wrong? :D

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
How many draft picks would this even cost us? And it would never happen Holland lives by the "code" offer sheeting players is "bad business"

Probably four 1st rounders. Werenski won't be cheap and to get Columbus to not match the offer would have to be ridiculously large. Really better to just try to work out a deal.

rod

Apr 19, 2018
Offer sheets are not going to happen from Detroit, they are not going to ruin their future by offering 1st round draft picks, unless it's a once in a generation player, which Point and Werenski are not. they will continue to try and accumulate picks along with possible FA signings, this team is still a ways away from being a contender, stealing one player via an offer sheet will have negative impact on building a cup team.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
:laugh: :laugh: Yeah like Columbus is miles better then Detroit, They're losing both Panarin and Bobrovsky and Zach Werenski posted several times on his twitter page. His desire to play someday with Dylan Larkin and he didn't mean in Columbus either.

Never heard the second part but yes, Columbus is a lot better than Detroit.

Doesn't matter, Holland would be stupid to risk losing draft picks

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Probably four 1st rounders. Werenski won't be cheap and to get Columbus to not match the offer would have to be ridiculously large. Really better to just try to work out a deal.
That would be massive overpayment. A trade or just waiting years for his UFA status is basically the only logical way.

Reactions: kliq and Winger98

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Unless he request a trade and only to Detroit that shouldn't even matter.
I think he was making a reference to Yzerman coming home (and presumably then to the Wings' front office), and extending the scenario to acquiring Werenski in similar fashion.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
His quote has nothing to do with Yzerman...

Agreed, I dont think it had anything to do with Yzerman.

This part isnt directed at you "ties", but in general I think anytime GM's, managers, coaches, execs etc speak, you have to take it with a grain of salt. Its all just trying to appease someone, whether its fans, media, players, etc. Most of what they say is BS. Once in a while you get someone or you get an interview where one is genuine, but as long as they are on the job, in 2019 where every word can blow up the internet I think credibility during interviews is at an all time low. You say the wrong thing and the blow back is brutal

Saying we "we wont sit back" is just a cliched/generic response with no actual substance behind it, its like saying "We wont be reactive, we'll be PROACTIVE!" or "Got to take it day by day" or "at the end of the season, we'll assess and go from there".

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Agreed, I dont think it had anything to do with Yzerman.

This part isnt directed at you "ties", but in general I think anytime GM's, managers, coaches, execs etc speak, you have to take it with a grain of salt. Its all just trying to appease someone, whether its fans, media, players, etc. Most of what they say is BS. Once in a while you get someone or you get an interview where one is genuine, but as long as they are on the job, in 2019 where every word can blow up the internet I think credibility during interviews is at an all time low. You say the wrong thing and the blow back is brutal

Saying we "we wont sit back" is just a cliched/generic response with no actual substance behind it, its like saying "We wont be reactive, we'll be PROACTIVE!" or "Got to take it day by day" or "at the end of the season, we'll assess and go from there".
I fully expect Holland to "kick tires" on trading Howard and Nyquist with no deals comes and just resign both with too much money and term. (Hope I'm wrong)

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I fully expect Holland to "kick tires" on trading Howard and Nyquist with no deals comes and just resign both with too much money and term. (Hope I'm wrong)

I hope you're wrong to, but I can't say you are.
Fingers crossed that we trade them both and bring back a nice return.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Hope for the best, plan for the lamest, most conservative, veteran-friendly thing possible.

That's pretty much a Ken Holland primer right there. If you're a new fan, here's what to expect at the trade deadline and in free agency.

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think draft lottery has changed these strategy things.

Being dead last doesn't quarantee the 1st overall anymore. It didn't do it in the past either, but the proabilities were much higher.

Probability for the 1st overall is 18.5% at best currently. It takes 5,5 dead last finishes to mathematically get cumulative 100% total chance for 1st overall. And even that isn't a quarantee, because it still is a lottery. You can still end up being without a lottery win, and even if you win, it could be a bad draft year with Yakopov-level first talent.

So what is the solution?

Offer-sheet for former 1st picks or best talents, where you pay high-salary and lose 4 first-rounders. Mathematically it would be a working strategy. 4 first-rounders is less than any 4 lottery probabilities together. If your oranization is otherways on a good position, that good times would be ahead, and you don't need those 1st picks for anything, because you have drafted so well on the past, why not?

Getting Matthews with an offer-sheet is a 100% quarantee of a getting Top Elite talent. And if it could be the final piece in the puzzle. If you are an organization who can dig those depth players also from lower rounds, this could be the way to go.

Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I'm curious to see how it all plays out in Toronto and Columbus. Toronto is screwed unless they can dump either Nylander or Marleau and Marleau has a full NMC. I can't see either Matthews or Marner not asking for 11-12M+/year. Marner is setting scoring records for a player starting their career with Toronto, and Matthews is almost to 100 goals in his first 3 seasons. So they are pretty well screwed.

And then there's Columbus who knows they are going to lose at least Bobrovsky and maybe Panarin to Free Agency and are betting that they can make a run to win a Cup, regardless of what it means to their future chances of winning. Would having Werenski getting offer sheeted give them the draft picks to get them back in the game quicker than if they still had Werenski? Maybe...maybe not. You'd have to have confidence that you can draft well, in 2020, if you're Columbus. If I'm Detroit, I definitely take the gamble because you won't lose any picks, this year, and you might still be able to get enough picks in 2020 to make it all come out in the wash, but having a legitimate top pair d-man on your roster with good NHL experience and only 20 years old (current age).

I think if Detroit were to offer sheet anyone, Werenski comes in at a decent price for the long-term security of our back-line.

Edit: If we offer Werenski between the $6,088,981 to $8,118,641 price, we would only lose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm curious to see how it all plays out in Toronto and Columbus. Toronto is screwed unless they can dump either Nylander or Marleau and Marleau has a full NMC. I can't see either Matthews or Marner not asking for 11-12M+/year. Marner is setting scoring records for a player starting their career with Toronto, and Matthews is almost to 100 goals in his first 3 seasons. So they are pretty well screwed.

Edit: If we offer Werenski between the $6,088,981 to $8,118,641 price, we would only lose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder.

Columbus would match, if they are out from salary cap problems. That's a "normal" caphit for Werenski. They would get better picks just on a trade.

Only where offer-sheet works is the best talents of the game. It won't work with any second level guys.

That Toronto scenario is really interesting. I could really think Arizona is the sheeter, because getting a local guy would be great for the local business. It could be a franchise-saving move. Then any money which saves a franchise, is worth it.

Next summer:

2 offer-sheets for Toronto, let's say 13.5M for Matthews from Arizona (overpayment by 2M) and 12M for Marner from Dallas (another 2M overpayment). If these two happens at same time, they can't anyhow match both. There's no espace from that cap hell.

They can match one, but not both.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No offer sheets as its just took stupid.
Anyone who thinks Toronto is in trouble better think again. I guarantee they will either find a way to trade someone or bury salary in some strange way(ie the hossa way out)

Holland will trade nyquist but I can also see him being resigned on July 1st if no Yzerman here by then.

Howard wont be traded and will be resigned to less term and dollar as we do not have anything close to ready anywhere in the system. Expectation: 3 years 15 million.

Witowski might be dealt but Jensen probably not.

Glendening would be the most "unexpected" player dealt.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

And then there's Columbus who knows they are going to lose at least Bobrovsky and maybe Panarin to Free Agency and are betting that they can make a run to win a Cup, regardless of what it means to their future chances of winning. Would having Werenski getting offer sheeted give them the draft picks to get them back in the game quicker than if they still had Werenski? Maybe...maybe not. You'd have to have confidence that you can draft well, in 2020, if you're Columbus. If I'm Detroit, I definitely take the gamble because you won't lose any picks, this year, and you might still be able to get enough picks in 2020 to make it all come out in the wash, but having a legitimate top pair d-man on your roster with good NHL experience and only 20 years old (current age).

I think if Detroit were to offer sheet anyone, Werenski comes in at a decent price for the long-term security of our back-line.

If you offer a salary in that range, Columbus matches the deal without thinking twice. The only way to pull one of these top RFA's (so that their team doesn't match the offer) is at the highest level of draft pick compensation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad