Jim Hughson Comments?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
im sure he said during the same line "what Kane did in Wisconsin" (paraphrasing) The cab thing was in buffalo and the rape allegation was too wasn't it? so he on air clarified it, but its still a stupid thing to say due to all of kanes indiscretions and people will automatically think of the 2 worst.

Hughson is a terrible commentator with unbelievable anti-leaf bias he should 100% be fired for that

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Its pretty dumb to suggest that your mistakes will be dismissed if you do well on the ice.

Nothing to be outraged about, buts its still dumb to say

Reactions: Loosie

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think this was clumsy more than anything. His point was about moving on afterwards by focusing on your hockey, but he did it in a way that belittled the event itself. It would have been wiser to stay out of the topic altogether. I also think it's quite questionable to equate what Matthews did with Kane getting wasted in public.

Reactions: Loosie

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I don’t think what Matthews did was a very big deal, and I don’t think what Hughson said was a very big deal.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
He shouldn't have said little problem. But in sports, winning cures everything. That was his point.

Which is where the 'yikes' comes in. He's basically saying you can do what ever the hell you want, but it all doesn't matter if you win. Which is really not the message you should be sending out at all.

Reactions: OddyOh

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Which is where the 'yikes' comes in. He's basically saying you can do what ever the hell you want, but it all doesn't matter if you win. Which is really not the message you should be sending out at all.
I mean, it's true. But I get the optics, especially on national television.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Yet is still pretty much the way it is, good message or not.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
It was an ignorant and insensitive comment and if people want to make such a big enough deal about it so I don't have to listen to his terrible play-by-play anymore, then I'm just fine with that.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
He was referencing the physical assault kane was said to have committed on the cab driver. Mentioned in the summer of 11/'12 so can not be the rape allegations.

Plus kane really put those bull**** allegations behind him by not only winning his case and being found innocent but also having a really dominant season where he went onto win the ross/hart/lindsay.

I dont like kane that much but everytime he has had troubles outside of the rink he has come back more dominant the next year. I will always be happy that he won the rape case and shut up so many idiots who had already declared him guilt since the moment news broke out.

The taxi cab incident was in Buffalo though and not Wisconsin. And he was 21 and not 24.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
He was found innocent because there was not enough evidence to charge him with rape. Was he charged with any other misdemeanor? How can we say he is guilty or committed something as horrible as rape when the evidence does not prove this. The court system exists to convict guilt people not try and have those at trial show that they are innocent.

The accuser has to provide the proof that their allegations are true. Kane did "win" his case. He was found not guily(aka being innocent under the court of law).

Go watch the series 'unbelievable' on Netflix and you will find out that depending on how things are investigated and who the victim is it is entirely possible all sorts of guilty people get away with shit all the time.

That said I do not think Patrick Kane is a raper

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
I Think it just boils down to how much most Leaf fans hate Hughson and SN’s play by play crew, and how they continue to be shoved down our throats.

Truth is I always put the game on mute and listen to Bowen’s radio calling of the game. It lags a bit but it’s a much better experience.

I think a more productive approach is sending SN an online petition asking for Hughsons removal from Leaf broadcasts.
Hey we will take him back in Vancouver. Makes sense that a much homer calls our games, not a bunch of Alberta lovers.

Reactions: OddyOh and Jmo89

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It was an ignorant and insensitive comment and if people want to make such a big enough deal about it so I don't have to listen to his terrible play-by-play anymore, then I'm just fine with that.
Problem is sportsnet has no one who's better on play by play. There's so little talent out there and tsn has most of it.

Reactions: OddyOh

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
What the hell is this?

It sounds like he’s saying Kane put his mistakes behind him, focused on the game and had a great season. Implying that Auston could do the same.

It’s like people spin things specifically so they can get angry at them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad