Jim Hughson Comments?

ICECOLDBEER

Apr 2, 2017

Thoughts?

JMO but I think people are hyper sensitive. His point was people make mistakes they deal with the consequences and move on. Don't think he is condoning anything. Personally think the Matthews thing is overblown.

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Made me cringe, but it's heat of the moment play by play. Over-analysis of such stuff doesn't interest me.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I Think it just boils down to how much most Leaf fans hate Hughson and SN’s play by play crew, and how they continue to be shoved down our throats.

Truth is I always put the game on mute and listen to Bowen’s radio calling of the game. It lags a bit but it’s a much better experience.

I think a more productive approach is sending SN an online petition asking for Hughsons removal from Leaf broadcasts.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
When he said it my first thought was "Rape is not a little problem".
My second thought was, oh right, I'm watching Sportsnet not TSN.
He was referencing the physical assault kane was said to have committed on the cab driver. Mentioned in the summer of 11/'12 so can not be the rape allegations.

Plus kane really put those bullshit allegations behind him by not only winning his case and being found innocent but also having a really dominant season where he went onto win the ross/hart/lindsay.

I dont like kane that much but everytime he has had troubles outside of the rink he has come back more dominant the next year. I will always be happy that he won the rape case and shut up so many idiots who had already declared him guilt since the moment news broke out.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
When he said it my first thought was "Rape is not a little problem".
My second thought was, oh right, I'm watching Sportsnet not TSN.

Oh, yeah, I was thinking about the cab driver incident and forgot about that. If he was referring to the rape allegations, then yeah, that's a pretty shitty way to talk about it.

But I'm actually not sure what he's talking about. He said "Kane in 2012", but the cab driver incident was in 2009, and the rape allegations were in 2015. So not sure what he was trying to refer to.

Reactions: illusory

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He was referencing the physical assault kane was said to have committed on the cab driver. Mentioned in the summer of 11/'12 so can not be the rape allegations.

Plus kane really put those bull**** allegations behind him by not only winning his case and being found innocent but also having a really dominant season where he went onto win the ross/hart/lindsay.

I dont like kane that much but everytime he has had troubles outside of the rink he has come back more dominant the next year. I will always be happy that he won the rape case and shut up so many idiots who had already declared him guilt since the moment news broke out.

He didn't "win" the rape case and was never "found innocent". That's not even how it works, at all.

There just wasn't enough evidence to charge him, which is common in rape cases, true or not. He may very well have been guilty.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh, yeah, I was thinking about the cab driver incident and forgot about that. If he was referring to the rape allegations, then yeah, that's a pretty ****ty way to talk about it.

But I'm actually not sure what he's talking about. He said "Kane in 2012", but the cab driver incident was in 2009, and the rape allegations were in 2015. So not sure what he was trying to refer to.
Didn't Kane use to get drunk in public?
I'm guessing that's the comparison.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He didn't "win" the rape case and was never "found innocent". That's not even how it works, at all.

There just wasn't enough evidence to charge him, which is common in rape cases, true or not. He may very well have been guilty.
He was found innocent because there was not enough evidence to charge him with rape. Was he charged with any other misdemeanor? How can we say he is guilty or committed something as horrible as rape when the evidence does not prove this. The court system exists to convict guilt people not try and have those at trial show that they are innocent.

The accuser has to provide the proof that their allegations are true. Kane did "win" his case. He was found not guily(aka being innocent under the court of law).

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He was found innocent because there was not enough evidence to charge him with rape. Was he charged with any other misdemeanor? How can we say he is guilty or committed something as horrible as rape when the evidence does not prove this. The court system exists to convict guilt people not try and have those at trial show that they are innocent.

The accuser has to provide the proof that their allegations are true. Kane did "win" his case. He was found not guily(aka being innocent under the court of law).

I didn't say he was guilty.

Courts don't find people innocent, they work in "guilty" or "not guilty" and its entirely possible, especially with rape, to commit the crime without it being provable in court.

And besides that, he didn't even go to court.

You don't know what you are talking about.

And it's all beside the point anyway because I'm pretty sure Hughson was referring to Kane being a drunk asshole and punching a cab driver.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's referring to Kane getting really, really drunk at some party in Wisconsin and lots of cameras were around taping it. Saw it on Twitter. Apparently a girl rejected Kane too, and he choked her. Don't know what ever happened with that. I think Hughson was just trying to add context but it came out bad.

I see the mooning as a non-issue. Not even comparable to what others have done. It's what happened previous. Trying to get in the guard's car, scaring the guard with 3 or 4 men around.

I feel that's what is still making this story relevant. Whether you're aware or not, girls being harassed, scared, etc is a real thing everywhere. Especially at night. It's not a good look in that sense. I get it was a joke. Still a bad joke. Matthews is fine, and people will get over it. Heck, most are already.

He shouldn't have said little problem. But in sports, winning cures everything. That was his point.

Reactions: OddyOh

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
It's a generic turn of phrase by a man who's job description is to say generic things. Off color? Sure. Tone deaf? Yeah probably. A terrible thing to say and great moral misstep? That's pushing it.

Reactions: Alerion

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He couldn’t resist a chance to take a jab at a leaf player and tried to make the two circumstances equally comparable and it turned on him. Looks good on him ha. I am biased though so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I wouldn’t you know what on him if he was on fire :)

Reactions: hector morrison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad