Jim Benning vs Kyle Dubas

Who is the better GM?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I love that the guy about to get fired is winning because Leafs.
tHerE's nO AnTi LEaf bIaS on HfbOArdS
Mocking-Spongebob.jpg

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
That literally makes zero sense.

Term isn't the main issue, it's the money. It is a bit of a combination of both though.

At his current cap hit there is zero reason why Dubas should have accepted a 5 year deal for Matthews.

Like I said, if he let Matthews & his agent bully him after a career high of 69 points good luck in 2024.

Heck, he becomes a UFA before McDavid & Drai do which is crazy.

My main point is he shouldn't be making close to McDavid money on a 5 year deal. If he accepted that cap hit on a max term deal, that would be considered a good deal.

3rd highest paid player with shortest term of anyone in the top 26. Career high 70 points at time of signing rofl

Never before has a forward, outside the top 20 in ppg, been made the 3rd highest paid player. Then you take term into account and its insane.

Like you said, matthews will be on his next contract while drai and mcd are still on their current deals.

Dubas got bullied hard.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Dubas is a genius, with a genius advisor in Pridham, so it's not really fare to compare him to anybody

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
3rd highest paid player with shortest term of anyone in the top 26. Career high 70 points at time of signing rofl

Never before has a forward, outside the top 20 in ppg, been made the 3rd highest paid player. Then you take term into account and its insane.

Like you said, matthews will be on his next contract while drai and mcd are still on their current deals.

Dubas got bullied hard.

Eichel got 10 million for career high of 56
Leafs' cap is in very good shape.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
3rd highest paid player with shortest term of anyone in the top 26.
That is incredibly misleading as well as wrong. Much of the top of the list was signed years ago to higher cap hit percentages, we currently have an extended flat cap for the first time ever, and the league has, as a result, trended towards bridges. Matthews is also not the only one in the top-26 with that term.
Career high 70 points at time of signing rofl
That is also incredibly misleading as well as wrong. He did not have a "career high 70 points" at that time, he was over P/GP in his second season, and well over P/GP (50 goal, 100 point pace) when signing in his 3rd.

You're also intentionally using exclusively raw points, even though contract valuation is based on more than that. This is because you know that raw PP points is the only thing that massively underrates him relative to his peers, due exclusively to era and the considerably less opportunity he received in that game state, despite producing at an elite level there.
Never before has a forward, outside the top 20 in ppg, been made the 3rd highest paid player.
That is once again misleading as well as wrong. Matthews was well into the top-20 in P/GP in the season that he signed, and he was top-20 throughout his entire pre-signing period (50+ GP). Just for a few examples...

Kovalchuk was outside of the top-20 in P/GP in his pre-signing period, and received a contract worth the equivalent of 13.37m x 5 years.

Nash was outside of the top-20 in P/GP in his pre-signing period, in fact placing 104th in P/GP overall and 58th in his highest season before signing, and received a contract worth the equivalent of 11.29m x 5 years.

What's much harder if not impossible to find is a forward who has placed as high as Matthews did while getting as little PP time as Matthews did. His production level and resulting contract is consistent with recent and historical comparables, even before we consider the fact that he was one of the best young goal-scorers to ever exist.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Obviously as per the results the non Dubas people were incorrect.

You just stated Dubas is one of the best GM's in the league, and him beating Benning in a poll proves that? :laugh:

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

You just stated Dubas is one of the best GM's in the league, and him beating Benning in a poll proves that? :laugh:
He loses to Benning on HF polls. Shows the credibility.

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
"4 players 40 million"
" Leafs have no depth"
"Leafs have no D"
"Leafs Too Top Heavy"
"Dubas overpays everyone"
"Leafs in the worst Cap Hell"
"Leafs will never have the cap to improve"
"Leafs have no Choice But To Trade Nylander"

Reactions: stopclickbait

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
"4 players 40 million"
" Leafs have no depth"
"Leafs have no D"
"Leafs Too Top Heavy"
"Leafs will never have tthecap to improve"
You're stating this as if the Leafs have been a Cup contender recently.

As far as I'm concerned, until you build a team that can win in the playoffs what exactly are you bragging about?

Everyone knows the Leafs are a solid regular season team

Reactions: nturn06

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

As far as I'm concerned, until you build a team that can win in the playoffs what exactly are you bragging about?

They do? No one thought they were very good last 2 years.

You go by past "Rounds Won" and see how far that gets you in NHL predictions. I will guarantee you at least 1 or more teams that made the conf. finals last year won;t even make the playoffs.

Do you think Florida can win in the playoffs?

And some of those are proven already anyways.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
They do? No one thought they were very good last 2 years.

You go by past "Rounds Won" and see how far that gets you in NHL predictions. I will guarantee you at least 1 or more teams that made the conf. finals last year won;t even make the playoffs.

Do you think Florida can win in the playoffs?

And some of those are proven already anyways.
"No one thought they were the past 2 years"? :laugh:

What?

I'm not sure how your statement with Florida is relevant to the discussion.

Like I said though, you made a post basically stroking Dubas. Why? If the Leafs continue on the exact same path they have been on the last couple years that will be considered a success?

You brought up a bunch of points that don't prove anything.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Wait what, people vote for Benning? I rather pay to much for my stars, than paying to much for my depth, so I cant keep my stars. Dubas is easily the betetr GM, and Im a Jet-fan

Reactions: Sundinisagod

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
"4 players 40 million"
" Leafs have no depth"
"Leafs have no D"
"Leafs Too Top Heavy"
"Leafs will never have the cap to improve"
Instead Dubas ended up trading Kapanen and Johnsson.

Plus in the Kapanen trade Dubas held firm until he got offered a 1st round pick from Jim Rutherford and the Penguins, since no other GM's were offering him at least that.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Other than slightly overpaying Marner (who is top 3 in points so far this year) and not buying free agency years from Marner & Matthews, I can't criticize Dubas too much. He's drafted really well, he's managed to keep his top players, doesn't have unmovable contracts, has solidified his d-core despite cap crunch, has added toughness and veteran leadership.

He's far superior than Benning who actually couldn't do what Dubas did, which is keep his top guys; Benning made a huge mistake not making room to resign Markstrom and Toffoli.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019

i guess there is only 1 good team every year

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
"No one thought they were the past 2 years"? :laugh:

What?

I'm not sure how your statement with Florida is relevant to the discussion.

Like I said though, you made a post basically stroking Dubas. Why? If the Leafs continue on the exact same path they have been on the last couple years that will be considered a success?

You brought up a bunch of points that don't prove anything.

Oh it completely is. No playoff rounds won since 96? Who cares. Leafs have not won a round since 2004!!!

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Oh?

Maybe win a playoff round or two before crowning Dubas as one of the greatest.
No one cared about anyone winning a first round until the Leafs stopped doing it LOL. Stop acting like it's some huge accomplishment

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
No one cared about anyone winning a first round until the Leafs stopped doing it LOL. Stop acting like it's some huge accomplishment
How exactly do you know this?

Please, for once back up a claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad